2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 10:22 PM)
Sounds like scouts believe there's no way Tate will still be around for the Sox pick.

i just woke up, i was rethinking this, in a matter of a week, in college ball there was a lot of movement in some respect. Michael Matuella - sp was the only concern. now, in his 2nd outing, only barely 4 innings pitched. sp - Aikens - the home plate umpire told the press of Aikens and coaches concerns, yank out in the 1 inning. (bet there will be a disciplinary hearing on the ump). Tate was sitting on some mock draft board in the 20's. now, there is some talk of movement of Tate going higher than 10 and maybe in the top 5 range, big time fastball.

if he wins tonite, (3-20), and big, who knows what the next mock draft will look like.

alot of good games tonite.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 20, 2015 -> 05:22 PM)
Sounds like scouts believe there's no way Tate will still be around for the Sox pick.

Thats cool, that means someone else will drop. I am not that sold on Tate anyway, unless the Sox can go underslot to sign him to try and grab someone like Chandler Day who could slip due to signability.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
That #2 pick is pretty dumb. No way that the Astros select Aiken again because if they do not sign him they will lose that pick with no compensation.

btw, wasn't there a discussion with the commissioner that he was not going to allow that to happen, and address that in the next cba???

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 02:48 PM)
Thats cool, that means someone else will drop. I am not that sold on Tate anyway, unless the Sox can go underslot to sign him to try and grab someone like Chandler Day who could slip due to signability.

Tate has some interesting stuff. but come draft day, depending on which pitchers are hurt and what kind of injury, it may be real interesting on #8. if none of the main pitchers drop, will the sox go for the SS. some rumbings on the blogs, has maybe Aiken dropping and / or Swanson or the LSU ss going to the sox.

i know what many are saying BPA, but i just don't know why the rumblings so early about SS.

i know the sox FO like to preplan for 2 yr from now. i just don't see anything.

btw, don't shoot the msg'er. ;)

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 09:50 AM)
That #2 pick is pretty dumb. No way that the Astros select Aiken again because if they do not sign him they will lose that pick with no compensation.

Don't they need his permission to pick him a second time? I can't see that happening.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Tate has some interesting stuff. but come draft day, depending on which pitchers are hurt and what kind of injury, it may be real interesting on #8. if none of the main pitchers drop, will the sox go for the SS. some rumbings on the blogs, has maybe Aiken dropping and / or Swanson or the LSU ss going to the sox.

i know what many are saying BPA, but i just don't know why the rumblings so early about SS.

i know the sox FO like to preplan for 2 yr from now. i just don't see anything.

btw, don't shoot the msg'er. ;)

Tate reminds me of Flash Gordon because of his stuff and size. I love Flash, but I am not picking him at #8. I would much rather grab Hooper who had TOR ceiling, and mid-range that lands somewhere around Matt Thornton.

I still really like the idea of DJ Stewart as a guy similar to Schwarber last year in that is the best college hitter and you can likely get him underslot. Add to that he should be ready right about the time that Melky's contract is up I would lean that direction at this point - IF - I was able to save enough in the deal to come back and sign a couple high school kids with high ceilings in rounds 4 and 5.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 06:50 PM)
I don't get your Tom Gordon comp at all. Flash was the pitching equivalent of a midget whereas Tate has decent but not great size. My favorite comparison for Tate would be Chris Archer. I'd put a lot of money on the Sox taking a pitcher. Their developmental team basically spelled it out.

going into the yr, i really considered him, but there were a couple of other pitching prospects i was game on. they were Jake Lemoine - hou, and Sbotz - rp. both pitchers had some mechanical problems, and were going to work on it. re: Sbotz, the coaches were thinking to trying him out in the rotation, i guess his control was a problem and is not good enuf.

but Tate, i just don't know. now, i also like Cody Ponce and Kyle Cody, problem with K Cody, is his team around him, me thinketh.

there is a slew of young HS'ers that are intriguing, i wish this yr the sox had a pick in the comp and comp A.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 04:18 PM)
Tate reminds me of Flash Gordon because of his stuff and size. I love Flash, but I am not picking him at #8. I would much rather grab Hooper who had TOR ceiling, and mid-range that lands somewhere around Matt Thornton.

I still really like the idea of DJ Stewart as a guy similar to Schwarber last year in that is the best college hitter and you can likely get him underslot. Add to that he should be ready right about the time that Melky's contract is up I would lean that direction at this point - IF - I was able to save enough in the deal to come back and sign a couple high school kids with high ceilings in rounds 4 and 5.

yeah, DJ Stewart in nice, but i think he will have a low avg, high K's and lots of hrs. unless he shows or if the coaches think he can become a better hitter, i don't know. same goes for 3b David Thompson, he may go 2nd rnd or 3rd. but as of right now, he does hit for avg and he does have tremendous power.

I really like Kyle Tucker, suppose to be the best all around hitter in the HS class, and he is a bean poll. 6'4 and at best 175 lbs. plays a good D in the outfield. can anyone imagine what he can do when he gains muscle weitght and fully develop?

hs pitchers is plentiful this yr.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Mar 24, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
Thanks for posting.

At the moment, I would be happy with Buehler but I don't think I would take him ahead of Happ.

of the known commodity, the pitchers, esp college, i am a little lost, there is still a long season and many surprises. Aiken and Matuella are the 2 question marks. Bickford, his discipline or attitude problem which may have lead to him falling. the relief pitchers who moved to the rotation, have they improved enuf.

as of today, 3-24. all things being equal, i will pick the best pitcher at #8 who will move quicky and profile to be a mid rotation or better.

according to those standards, imo Buehler a solid #2 or weak 1. Kirby, weak #2 strong 3. Bickford, i just don't know, what i have read, he is a nasty version of Roger Clemens or Hamel, mean nasty and just give him the ball and step aside. just hope his stuff is as good as his demeanor.

there is some hs'ers that are worth noting. but not right now for me.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 01:50 PM)
I don't get your Tom Gordon comp at all. Flash was the pitching equivalent of a midget whereas Tate has decent but not great size. My favorite comparison for Tate would be Chris Archer. I'd put a lot of money on the Sox taking a pitcher. Their developmental team basically spelled it out.

It is the combination of stuff and being undersized to be a long term rotation piece. Tate features the slider/fastball as flash did, they have similar builds and velocity. Flash was listed at 5'10 Tate is listed at 6'1.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 23, 2015 -> 05:19 PM)
yeah, DJ Stewart in nice, but i think he will have a low avg, high K's and lots of hrs. unless he shows or if the coaches think he can become a better hitter, i don't know. same goes for 3b David Thompson, he may go 2nd rnd or 3rd. but as of right now, he does hit for avg and he does have tremendous power.

I really like Kyle Tucker, suppose to be the best all around hitter in the HS class, and he is a bean poll. 6'4 and at best 175 lbs. plays a good D in the outfield. can anyone imagine what he can do when he gains muscle weitght and fully develop?

hs pitchers is plentiful this yr.

Stewart hit .364 and .351 that last two seasons and while his average has dipped this season to .304 thus far his ISO has increased from .196 - .206 - .380 and his K rate has decreased each year from 1.05 to .75 to .74. He does lead all of college baseball in HR's this season, but he is not an all or nothing hitter.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 08:15 AM)
It is the combination of stuff and being undersized to be a long term rotation piece. Tate features the slider/fastball as flash did, they have similar builds and velocity. Flash was listed at 5'10 Tate is listed at 6'1.

Marcus Stroman?

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 02:37 PM)
Stewart hit .364 and .351 that last two seasons and while his average has dipped this season to .304 thus far his ISO has increased from .196 - .206 - .380 and his K rate has decreased each year from 1.05 to .75 to .74. He does lead all of college baseball in HR's this season, but he is not an all or nothing hitter.

you got an excellent point. i can find no faults.

i have always used this scale, i was told this by an old scout in the 80's while in Bos.

hitters, subtract 20-30 points from the college hitting avg in their first yr, if they can rebound to both the speed of mlb pitching, and the quality of the pitches, they may add 5-15 points back. it is up to them to continue to learn the art of hitting.

now that was the old way of thinking that maybe this person was giving a bunch of BS. but it usually was always close. but then again what the hell do i know. i work for a living.

the other part of what i wrote, i said it maybe or should be or can be, meaning the future. now he is tearing it up.

but i thoughts are, why is he not climbing in the draft???

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 11:29 AM)
you got an excellent point. i can find no faults.

i have always used this scale, i was told this by an old scout in the 80's while in Bos.

hitters, subtract 20-30 points from the college hitting avg in their first yr, if they can rebound to both the speed of mlb pitching, and the quality of the pitches, they may add 5-15 points back. it is up to them to continue to learn the art of hitting.

now that was the old way of thinking that maybe this person was giving a bunch of BS. but it usually was always close. but then again what the hell do i know. i work for a living.

the other part of what i wrote, i said it maybe or should be or can be, meaning the future. now he is tearing it up.

but i thoughts are, why is he not climbing in the draft???

Probably due to his build, he is 6'1 230lbs, so built more like a fullback than a baseball player. I think the concerns around him are related to him not being that athletic or quick. In my mind he is the antithesis of Jared Mitchell, great bat to ball skills, low K rate, and a good command of the strike zone. I am not sure why he is not climbing really, I am guessing there are questions related to his size and defense because I don't see what else would be holding him back.

Slash line this year is - .304/.513/.684 compared to Schwarbers .358/.464/.659 in an inferior conference in his junior season and I think he is probably on track to being a better pro. I like him as a player and I like that if the Sox draft him, given where he is projected to go in the draft, they will likely get him at a discount from full slot.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Mar 25, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
Probably due to his build, he is 6'1 230lbs, so built more like a fullback than a baseball player. I think the concerns around him are related to him not being that athletic or quick. In my mind he is the antithesis of Jared Mitchell, great bat to ball skills, low K rate, and a good command of the strike zone. I am not sure why he is not climbing really, I am guessing there are questions related to his size and defense because I don't see what else would be holding him back.

Slash line this year is - .304/.513/.684 compared to Schwarbers .358/.464/.659 in an inferior conference in his junior season and I think he is probably on track to being a better pro. I like him as a player and I like that if the Sox draft him, given where he is projected to go in the draft, they will likely get him at a discount from full slot.

as i said, in ref to your opinion and the numbers, i can find no fault. i am just thinking of how he would deal as a pro.

comparing him to last yr pick, is ok, something i do not like to do. i will use it as a platform as a probability. long college season.

re bolded - unless we have some inside info, only the pro's knows why not? i think it not based on defense.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (raBBit @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
I have Gordon at 5' 9" and Tate at 6' 2". Gordon had one of the best curveballs of his generation and Tate has an MLB quality slider. There is no similarity in their deliveries at all. The only similarities Tate has to Gordon is that he is a black pitcher.

You might want to double check that. Flash featured pretty much fastball/slider combo greater than 90% of the time.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfx.aspx?play...&position=P

Tate's PG profile lists him at 6'1, he may be 6'2 now but the pitch selection and velocity are similar. As far as their deliveries, I have not seen Tate pitch, just read his scouting reports so I can speak to that being similar and I believe you that they are not.

To be fair, he probably compares with 100 other relievers that feature the slider/fastball combo, but I have Flash on the mind since his son Nick is starting the season here this year.

QUOTE (tpezz27 @ Mar 26, 2015 -> 04:08 PM)

If you are the White Sox, do you take your chances and draft Aiken in the first after agreeing to a well below slot signing and than from there have cushion to be a little extra aggressive in the later rounds (nabbing some guys who fell). I guess the question is how much less would Aiken take and what are the Sox view of his recovery / med's and overall upside. If we were picking later in the 1st round, I'd say it was an easier decision. I also am not sure if fact we don't have 2nd / 3rd round picks makes situation better or worse.