2015 MLB Draft

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ May 21, 2015 -> 09:20 PM)
Whys that

Combination of a lot of stuff. Aforementioned Kris Honel local kid flashbacks. That he's a reliever. Probably the biggest thing though is how I think they would handle him. We don't want to take a reliever with a top 10 pick. So if we want him to start, we should take it slow with him. Yet were already seeing stuff on how'd he be the next Sale/Rodon and be up here quickly. That scares me.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ May 22, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
Combination of a lot of stuff. Aforementioned Kris Honel local kid flashbacks. That he's a reliever. Probably the biggest thing though is how I think they would handle him. We don't want to take a reliever with a top 10 pick. So if we want him to start, we should take it slow with him. Yet were already seeing stuff on how'd he be the next Sale/Rodon and be up here quickly. That scares me.

Those are reasons for me why I'd actually like to see them do it. The team is quite good at this exact path.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)
Those are reasons for me why I'd actually like to see them do it. The team is quite good at this exact path.

Well you have a point there...it's the one development technique they do well.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ May 22, 2015 -> 10:14 AM)
Well you have a point there...it's the one development technique they do well.

They've been pretty darn good at developing starting pitchers period. They had been churning out valuable relievers at a big rate too, until the last 2-3 years when that fell off.

Hitters on the other hand...

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 22, 2015 -> 10:03 AM)

It's not really the exact path though, since he's a reliever now. I have no problem if they give the Sale/Rodon treatment to another pitcher, just not Jay in particular.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ May 22, 2015 -> 11:50 AM)
Manuel's Mock 3.0 has Jay going number 1 to Arizona.

White Sox taking Fulmer.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mlb-m...15-version-3-0/

I'd be thrilled with Fulmer. To me, Fulmer reminds me of Lincecum with more fire on the mound. I love the way Fulmer competes and shows his emotion after a big out.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:56 PM)
I'd be thrilled with Fulmer. To me, Fulmer reminds me of Lincecum with more fire on the mound. I love the way Fulmer competes and shows his emotion after a big out.

People hate his mechanics and delivery and size, but the fact of the matter is he led the NCAA in K's and was dominating out there all year long. Sox have had a good recent history with funky pitchers that work.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ May 23, 2015 -> 12:18 AM)
People hate his mechanics and delivery and size, but the fact of the matter is he led the NCAA in K's and was dominating out there all year long. Sox have had a good recent history with funky pitchers that work.

One: Sale. And he is tall and his delivery isn't nearly as funky and he wasn't as hard used.

I can see it if we were getting a bargain -- picking 15th or something.

The Sox haven't drafted a developed college hitter* with its #1 choice since Beckham. And he was rushed of course, but at least he's still in the game.

*Mitchell was high-school raw when drafted.

QUOTE (Bruce_Blixton @ May 22, 2015 -> 12:01 PM)
I can't recall a draft prospect rising faster than Jay has the past couple of weeks, he's gone from a late first round pick in most mock drafts to the #1 overall pick? I'm more than a little wary of that type of hype.

I think the teams were always on him and the media is now catching up. The media types overlooked him because he's a closer but with many teams thinking he can start and liking the low innings totals, you have seen this sudden "rise".

Found a new mock draft, has the Sox taking HS catcher Tyler Stephenson, which means its probably not very well informed.

http://www.rantsports.com/mlb/2015/05/25/2...may-25-edition/

It looks like from most of the newer mock drafts, Jay and Fulmer will be gone by the time the Sox pick. Tate may be in play again as he is slipping as people are doubting his ability to start. At this point I think the Sox end up with Harris, but they also could take a college bat if Swanson or Bregman were to slip.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ May 23, 2015 -> 07:00 PM)
I think the teams were always on him and the media is now catching up. The media types overlooked him because he's a closer but with many teams thinking he can start and liking the low innings totals, you have seen this sudden "rise".

Teams were always on him, yes, but I think it has more to do with him being consistent in a pretty poor draft class than anything that goes on with the "media types". A lot of the information that is passed on is what is gleaned from conversations with different organizational scouts. Dillon Tate was the guy that scouts loved after making the transition from the bullpen to the rotation, but he has hit the wall and his fall has led to an opening for Jay to rise. The same way that Funkhouser was a top 10 guy most of the season and now probably goes around #20, there just have not been many consistent performers in this years draft class so a guy like Jay has every opportunity to move up.

Keith Law released his second edition of his mock draft and the White Sox selection has not changed from Carson Fulmer. At this point, it would be a shock if the Sox selected anyone but Tyler Jay or Carson Fulmer.