Brady Aiken DID NOT SIGN

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 01:53 PM)
What if Abreu gets hit in the head by an acorn while walking through the park by a wayward squirrel and forgets who he is. What if Sale slips on a banana and hurts his right asscheek. Aiken has a smaller UCL and is still throwing 97 mph and is not injured. The common sense people wanted to take a bad season and turn it into something that will help the team for years. There were 3 pitchers that everyone had spun up as 1a, 1b, and 1c. There is risk in everything. Keep sticking your head in the sand with the "draft lovers" statements. Its these cartoon-like statements that have people dismissing just about everything you type.

To be fair, three months ago, Jeff Hoffman was even the favorite, so you could say 1d quite accurately.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
To be fair, three months ago, Jeff Hoffman was even the favorite, so you could say 1d quite accurately.

There is a real chance that if Hoffman was healthy and on the board with Rodon, Hoffman would be wearing a Winston Salem jersey right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:16 AM)
There is a real chance that if Hoffman was healthy and on the board with Rodon, Hoffman would be wearing a Winston Salem jersey right now.

imho, you are not quite right. if Hoffman was healthy I think Hoffman will be a factor with all 3 top picks.

the reason being, closes to be major league ready. pos little time to develop and be in the majors

quickly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
I'm glad to see the draft lovers on this board have not wanted the Sox to tank this season to get a high draft pick.

This case again shows the uncertainty of the draft. What if the Sox would have drafted this guy and they not

signed him or his arm woulda fallen off so to speak in the minors? I haven't read the threads, but certainly some Sox

fans would have loved to draft this guy. What did Houston get out of having the worst record last year? Nothing.

It's all a crapshoot, baby.

if rodon was dafted ahead of aiken and he was avail when the sox pick, I believes that the sox will be

tempted to draft him. remember with the sox drafting, they want someone who can be major league

ready fast.

I was not here last yr, so I wouldn't know about the fans wanting to team to tank and if you look at it, everything

is uncertain and the draft is a crapshoot.

last thing, accrording to something I read, didn't NIX and MARCHAL dropped b/c they wanted to honor their

commitment to school. why were they hurt or surprise by the whole crap that HOU was trying to do and esp

NIX camp saying that they may have signed for 1+ million.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 09:52 PM)
imho, you are not quite right. if Hoffman was healthy I think Hoffman will be a factor with all 3 top picks.

the reason being, closes to be major league ready. pos little time to develop and be in the majors

quickly.

I believe if both were on the board, the Sox would have picked Hoffman.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 20, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
if rodon was dafted ahead of aiken and he was avail when the sox pick, I believes that the sox will be

tempted to draft him. remember with the sox drafting, they want someone who can be major league

ready

Its a safe bet. Aiken was Cooper's favorite prospect in the draft. If you want to believe the reports, Rodon and Aiken were both 1-2 on the sox board. (and not necessarily in that order)

I think if the Sox choice was Rodon or Aiken they still would have taken Rodon due to college vs. HS arm. If Hoffman were in the equation, I think they would have gone Hoffman over Aiken as well. I am not sure they would have gone Hoffman over Rodon baseball-wise. They may have based on signing bonus.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 12:28 PM)
I think if the Sox choice was Rodon or Aiken they still would have taken Rodon due to college vs. HS arm. If Hoffman were in the equation, I think they would have gone Hoffman over Aiken as well. I am not sure they would have gone Hoffman over Rodon baseball-wise. They may have based on signing bonus.

There is a real chance that the team saves a million+dollars with a Hoffman signing. With that money, it isn't a big leap to see them throw a half million/million at De Oca. At that point the equation becomes Rodon vs Hoffman + De Oca. That is a part of the new math of this slotted system. It isn't just player A vs Player B. Contracts are much more important than they used to be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:44 PM)
There is a real chance that the team saves a million+dollars with a Hoffman signing. With that money, it isn't a big leap to see them throw a half million/million at De Oca. At that point the equation becomes Rodon vs Hoffman + De Oca. That is a part of the new math of this slotted system. It isn't just player A vs Player B. Contracts are much more important than they used to be.

all things being fair, if hoffman was on the board and healthy, the sox would have taken him over rodon

and any other hs'er.

so in other words i agree.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 06:09 PM)
How Boras would solve the Aiken type scenario.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/scott-b...ken-mess-072114

great work in finding this link and other work you and the mods do.

I only to need read some of the 1 paragraph to realize, this is the same BS Borass is spouting.

3-4 yrs ago, he mention that prospect should be FA's and to do away with the draft completely.

he was advocating that his clients should hold out if necessary. he also suggested that with the new

draft, he will go overslot money or have his clients hold out.

if the money/signing bonus between 90-100% for comp pick, then it should be 90-110% with a hard cap. what

HOU is now implying that the gm was not around but on vacation..... BULL s***TE.. you, me, and everyone

knows that he was on this old invention called a cell phone getting updates.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:54 PM)
Is there any doubt that 29 other teams would bid the same $6.5 million?

That is an issue that would need additional tweaking and I'm not sure there is a great way to solve it but the current system really is bad for the team and the player in these situations.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 02:09 PM)
I know what you wrote, but I need some help in understanding what it means.

sorry

Didn't read the Boras article, but I'm assuming he meant that all 29 other MLB teams would bid a minimum of $6.5 million (sort of like a signing bonus, but not quite) for the rights to Aiken. So then you would still be left with the problem of sorting out who gets him. In the end, this kind of an arrangement would massively favor the large market teams unless there were hard caps on total dollars, because the Yankees would just game the system and take the majority of talent and the era of semi-parity would be over, to the agents' favor.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 05:58 PM)
Didn't read the Boras article, but I'm assuming he meant that all 29 other MLB teams would bid a minimum of $6.5 million (sort of like a signing bonus, but not quite) for the rights to Aiken. So then you would still be left with the problem of sorting out who gets him. In the end, this kind of an arrangement would massively favor the large market teams unless there were hard caps on total dollars, because the Yankees would just game the system and take the majority of talent and the era of semi-parity would be over, to the agents' favor.

I thought Boras, that the most you could bid was the cap amount (or what the agreed upon bid was). You couldn't ever go past that, so you were tied to the slotting system. This just meant if a team wasn't willing to pay slot because of an injury risk, the player could go out and find another team who would pay that value. The team that didn't want to pay is restored by getting their draft pick and the player, who was going to be forced to take less money or re-enter the process, was made whole by going to another organization who paid.

In terms of southsiders post, he was referring to the fact that under the Boras scenario, the maximum bid, was $6.5M (which I believe was the agreed upon offer prior to the physical) and thus since the player couldn't reach an agreement after the physical, they would become a free agent and no team could offer more then 6.5M (but could offer less). However, in this case, southsider is assuming, every team in baseball would offer the maximum, which then poses the question, do you leave it up to the player to then pick the team or is there another process to determine when similar teams have same bid?

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:10 PM)
I thought Boras, that the most you could bid was the cap amount (or what the agreed upon bid was). You couldn't ever go past that, so you were tied to the slotting system. This just meant if a team wasn't willing to pay slot because of an injury risk, the player could go out and find another team who would pay that value. The team that didn't want to pay is restored by getting their draft pick and the player, who was going to be forced to take less money or re-enter the process, was made whole by going to another organization who paid.

In terms of southsiders post, he was referring to the fact that under the Boras scenario, the maximum bid, was $6.5M (which I believe was the agreed upon offer prior to the physical) and thus since the player couldn't reach an agreement after the physical, they would become a free agent and no team could offer more then 6.5M (but could offer less). However, in this case, southsider is assuming, every team in baseball would offer the maximum, which then poses the question, do you leave it up to the player to then pick the team or is there another process to determine when similar teams have same bid?

Exactly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:10 PM)

Aha. Got it.

I guess the simplest way to resolve that would be to do it like waiver claims, where you go in order from worst to first, although that's done by leagues and not for all of MLB sequentially by reverse winning percentage.

Of course, this would also lead to the possibility of even more teams intentionally tanking in order to position themselves for either a rebuild or quick 1-2 year turnaround....where a veteran team like the Phillies, for example, started off slowly and just decided as an intentional strategy not to be concerned about their May results, considering the season already lost.

And of course that wouldn't be "fair" to contending teams. And it would take quite a bit of time to "unwind" all the different permutations with each player in the first 3-5 rounds, so those players wouldn't be able to join their short-season teams until as late as the second week of July.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 07:15 PM)
Exactly.

Or they could form some type of 5, 7 or 9 member "medical committee" mutually-agreed upon by MLB and the Player's Association to attempt to objectively assess risk in pre-draft physical examinations (for let's say the Top 250 players) and pass those results down to the teams, players and advisors.

Maybe teams wouldn't be allowed to offer anything less than 10% below slot if a player had a majority (3/5, 4/7, 5/9, etc.) vote that had cleared his physical and declared him to be physically fit to play. Teams would also have access to the "dissenting" opinions, almost like a S.C. case.

Edited by caulfield12

The Boras Story was posted in here. Easy to read. A pretty good plan too. LDF and Caulfield both said they did not read the article that was easily posted in here and very clearly readable. Then they both posted information that wasn't in the article and asked questions about things that could have been read. I love Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 08:06 PM)
The Boras Story was posted in here. Easy to read. A pretty good plan too. LDF and Caulfield both said they did not read the article that was easily posted in here and very clearly readable. Then they both posted information that wasn't in the article and asked questions about things that could have been read. I love Soxtalk.

Well, that's true....but I read that thread on my Samsung Galaxy chat phone, and here in China I couldn't get the article to open. Recently, google.hk hasn't even been working.

The only reason I was able to find all the Aiken articles was because I was in Thailand from the 12th-20th.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 21, 2014 -> 09:11 PM)
Well, that's true....but I read that thread on my Samsung Galaxy chat phone, and here in China I couldn't get the article to open. Recently, google.hk hasn't even been working.

The only reason I was able to find all the Aiken articles was because I was in Thailand from the 12th-20th.

Haha just giving you a hard time, man. Want me to copy and DM it to you?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jul 22, 2014 -> 02:06 AM)

the story is somewhat an old theme for Scott B. he wants free agents starting from drafted players, or

in case tweak the draft and get some player as a free agent. the point being with the allotted money

that is reserved by the current slot.

this is still taking baby steps to total free agents with a minor twist, creative twist>yes.