Realistic 2015 Lineup

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 07:00 PM)
Don't forget, Saladino is now coming back from TJ, so that is going to push him back even more now. How much faster (if this is even correct) does a position player return from TJ? I can't imagine it is quite as long as a pitcher because they aren't pitching.

Well, he's definitely going to be limited from those long throws deep in the hole at SS.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 1, 2014 -> 10:45 PM)
I saw mid-April for Saladino

Yeah, I'm under the impression that if extended spring training goes well and his last sip of coffee at AAA are solid he will be a part of the 25 man roster come late April, especially when you consider the dearth of left handed starting pitchers in the bigs outside of the sox, and the sox no longer carrying a mascot.

CF - Eaton

2B - Semien

1B - Abreu

3B - Gillaspie

RF - Garcia

SS - Ramirez

LF - FA/Trade

DH - FA/Trade

C - FA/Trade/Flowers (who will still likely be the best option we have)

I would try a buy-low with Billy Butler for DH. And for LF, I may just try Micah Johnson out there. We would likely have enough money to go out and try to get a high-end starter.

CF - Eaton

2B - Semien

1B - Abreu

3B - Gillaspie

RF - Garcia

SS - Ramirez

LF - FA/Trade

DH - FA/Trade

I would try a buy-low with Billy Butler for DH. And for LF, I may just try Micah Johnson out there. We would likely have enough money to go out and try to get a high-end starter.

Gillaspie definitely has a place in the lineup, but not 4th. Need at least a 20+ HR guy batting behind Abreu.

They need another hitter in the middle of the line-up or it's not going to be a competitive offense.

There's certainly no guarantee that Gillaspie will repeat, and Abreu might lose some of his plate discipline if he starts to press too much again if they keep pitching around him constantly.

Ideally, it is Avisail, but right now, I think Gillaspie is the second-best overall hitter on the Sox.

I agree that he is the second best overall hitter on the Sox, and that kind of guy needs to be batting in front of Abreu and not behind him.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 08:08 AM)
They need another hitter in the middle of the line-up or it's not going to be a competitive offense.

There's certainly no guarantee that Gillaspie will repeat, and Abreu might lose some of his plate discipline if he starts to press too much again if they keep pitching around him constantly.

That's where Hahn is going to have to get creative. There aren't any elite bats in free agency this year and we probably don't have the prospects (unless we want to give up Rodon) to get one via trade.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 01:58 PM)
CF - Eaton

2B - Semien

1B - Abreu

3B - Gillaspie

RF - Garcia

SS - Ramirez

LF - FA/Trade

DH - FA/Trade

there is a lot of assumptions on your lineup. my main opinion on your line up is ss-ramirez and conor.

I think they need to bat 2 and 3 in front of Abreu.

I guess you are hoping DV, and Gordo are traded. Butler is one of the players I would like to see however

he has an option. with that, I will admit I do not know how the option works on the FA's.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 07:58 AM)
CF - Eaton

2B - Semien

1B - Abreu

3B - Gillaspie

RF - Garcia

SS - Ramirez

LF - FA/Trade

DH - FA/Trade

In the realm of failed prospects for failed prospects, KC has some intriguing guys you wonder if could benefit from a change of scenery.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 09:54 AM)
there is a lot of assumptions on your lineup. my main opinion on your line up is ss-ramirez and conor.

I think they need to bat 2 and 3 in front of Abreu.

I guess you are hoping DV, and Gordo are traded. Butler is one of the players I would like to see however

he has an option. with that, I will admit I do not know how the option works on the FA's.

I think Gordon is all but gone. They can't pay him $5 million for the same performance they can get for $500,000 with Semien or Johnson. So he is gone. Viciedo I think will be traded in the off-season.

Butler has a team option for $12.5 million. I can't see KC exercising that option with his past couple years, so he is likely going to hit free agency. If you could sign him to a two-year, $16-million deal with maybe a third-year player option based on incentives, he could be a solid bargain (assuming he starts hitting again).

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)
I think Gordon is all but gone. They can't pay him $5 million for the same performance they can get for $500,000 with Semien or Johnson. So he is gone. Viciedo I think will be traded in the off-season.

Butler has a team option for $12.5 million. I can't see KC exercising that option with his past couple years, so he is likely going to hit free agency. If you could sign him to a two-year, $16-million deal with maybe a third-year player option based on incentives, he could be a solid bargain (assuming he starts hitting again).

thank for the info. the 1 million buyout clause means that the club could buy him out or does that mean

both the club or the player can use the buyout? this the what I am confuse about.

Gordon, and DV. I will wait till the sox brass does something about them. I will keep them listed until then.

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 10:28 AM)
thank for the info. the 1 million buyout clause means that the club could buy him out or does that mean

both the club or the player can use the buyout? this the what I am confuse about.

Gordon, and DV. I will wait till the sox brass does something about them. I will keep them listed until then.

It simply means that if KC doesn't exercise the team option for 2015, they have to pay him the $1 million buy-out provision.

Butler is gone.

But do we really need another bases-clogging RH hitter?

If we can get him for $6-8 million per year and control his rights for at least 2 years, then maybe.

But a one year deal and then losing him to FA doesn't help the Sox at all, since he wouldn't be around in 2016.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 04:30 PM)
It simply means that if KC doesn't exercise the team option for 2015, they have to pay him the $1 million buy-out provision.

damn I was hoping the Butler can use the same option as well.

again many thanks.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
Butler is gone.

If we can get him for $6-8 million per year and control his rights for at least 2 years, then maybe.

But a one year deal and then losing him to FA doesn't help the Sox at all, since he wouldn't be around in 2016.

you do have a point, Butler can hit 8-12 hrs as well. we still need a viable opti for DH

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 12:31 PM)
I'm all over Yasmani Tomas. 23 year-old who gets 70 grades on his power, whom the most famous Cuban scout compared favourably to Puig? Yes please.

Ya, I forgot about him when making my lineup. I want.

Gimme him and Martinez/Lind/LaRoach/Dunn and I'll be a happy panda.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 03:35 PM)
Butler is gone.

Butler is done. Age hit him and he has no HR power and like you said is very slow. And if he's only 6-8 million, he'll stay in KC for that.

Today at 1:31 PM

The two biggest needs for the Sox next year are:

1) A middle of the order, left handed power bat, to protect Abreu. Without that protection, opposing teams would simply neutralize Jose's bat, by going around him.

2) A right handed starting pitcher, to balance the rotation, which is dominated by southpaws. It still seems unlikely that the Sox would keep a rotation consisting of the top 4 starters all being left handed. They will need at least a #2, or #3 to balance Sale, Quintana and Rodon. Even if Danks is not gone, a RHP has to be in front of his spot in the rotation.

Unless trading Alexei fills one of those two needs, I don’t see the point. There is no elite defensive replacement SS in the organization, who is ready to take his place, and of the best candidates, none are likely to be as good offensively. The $10 million that he is owed is not going to represent an obstacle to the front office spending elsewhere, and is not out of line with his value.

Perhaps, by the end of next season Tim Anderson, or Rondon will be ready to inherit the SS position, but until then, I don’t see Semien as being a replacement, whom we could expect to provide Alexei’s elite defense, much less his offensive production. Additionally, since I favor trading Viciedo, Alexei being a fellow Cuban teammate for Abreu, might be an important intangible to consider.

Sanchez is the best defensive second baseman in the organization, and his ability to hit from both sides of the plate make him my candidate to succeed Beckham, who most of us seem confident will be gone.

I love Micah Johnson’s offensive game, but unless he can improve his defense, I’m not sure that it makes sense to sacrifice defense, up the middle, for a guy who is probably best suited to bat lead off, where the Sox already have Eaton. Even if Johnson could play LF, the Sox may need to use the opening there to make room for a LH power bat.

De Aza has to be the most dispensable outfielder, and Sierra has much better tools to take his place. He’s also much younger, and would have no impact on the payroll. If you read some of the scouting reports on him, from the last 2 or 3 years, he is purported to have significant power potential. I had the impression that he was more of a defense and speed guy, but the reason that he has been considered so intriguing is, in large part, due to his power potential.

Given that power potential, he provides a more attractive option than Viciedo, as well. He’s only 6 months older than Dayan, and is a very good defensive player, with speed and a great arm. Moreover, Sierra’s power is not derived from the kind of violent, big swing that Viciedo employs. That is likely to result in more contact and a better average than Dayan will be able to achieve. Neither Viciedo nor Sierra have realized their potential, and given the vastly better tools, I’d opt for giving Sierra the playing time. Viciedo does also possess a terrifc arm, but that’s the only other tool he has, aside from the ability to hit for power. As long as Sierra’s projected power potential is legitimate, why not let the player who can contribute in so many other ways, get the chance to develop it? And, of course, Sierra would not negatively impact the payroll.

Although I was on board with the practically unanimous view that the Sox needed to upgrade the catching position, I’m very encouraged by Flowers’ recent ability to “square up” pitches. Ever since he donned the specs, in favor of contacts, he has really looked dangerous. This is the first time, all season, that he seems to have an idea of what he’s doing with the bat in his hands. Earlier in the year, even when he was hitting for average, he almost never barreled the ball up. We all remember that crazy streak, during which he got so many “duck snorts” and other lucky hits.

I love his hitting to right field, and if this new approach allows him to have decent at bats, his power will ultimately become a factor, Tyler is extremely strong.

Defensively, I don’t know how he is rated, but he passes the “eye test” for me. I like his pitch calling, and pitch blocking, and he has a strong and accurate arm.

My 2015 lineup:

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH The LH Power Bat? (I’m hoping that Wilkins is for real. He may be a long shot, but at least he has a better chance than a certain former star, for whom I was hoping last year)

LF A.Garcia

3B Gillaspie vs RHP / Semien vs. LHP

RF Sierra

C Flowers

2B Sanchez

I have trouble imagining that Davidson could be ready to contribute, any earlier than late next season.

Edited by Lillian

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile...P=Moises-Sierra

Minor league totals of a 739 OPS for his entire minor league career...and mid 600's in 400+ AB's at the major league level. Nothing about that screams everyday player at the major league level, like you could clearly see with Carlos Quentin's numbers.

Pass. He's fine as a 4th outfielder and caddy to Abreu. Other than that, we need a better, more legit plan that that. Starting Sierra is a recipe for another 4th/5th place finish. Remember, the Twins have Buxton and Sano coming, two Top 10 MiLB talents, albeit both coming off major injuries.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 2, 2014 -> 02:45 PM)
Today at 1:31 PM

The two biggest needs for the Sox next year are:

1) A middle of the order, left handed power bat, to protect Abreu. Without that protection, opposing teams would simply neutralize Jose's bat, by going around him.

2) A right handed starting pitcher, to balance the rotation, which is dominated by southpaws. It still seems unlikely that the Sox would keep a rotation consisting of the top 4 starters all being left handed. They will need at least a #2, or #3 to balance Sale, Quintana and Rodon. Even if Danks is not gone, a RHP has to be in front of his spot in the rotation.

Unless trading Alexei fills one of those two needs, I don’t see the point. There is no elite defensive replacement SS in the organization, who is ready to take his place, and of the best candidates, none are likely to be as good offensively. The $10 million that he is owed is not going to represent an obstacle to the front office spending elsewhere, and is not out of line with his value.

Perhaps, by the end of next season Tim Anderson, or Rondon will be ready to inherit the SS position, but until then, I don’t see Semien as being a replacement, whom we could expect to provide Alexei’s elite defense, much less his offensive production. Additionally, since I favor trading Viciedo, Alexei being a fellow Cuban teammate for Abreu, might be an important intangible to consider.

Sanchez is the best defensive second baseman in the organization, and his ability to hit from both sides of the plate make him my candidate to succeed Beckham, who most of us seem confident will be gone.

I love Micah Johnson’s offensive game, but unless he can improve his defense, I’m not sure that it makes sense to sacrifice defense, up the middle, for a guy who is probably best suited to bat lead off, where the Sox already have Eaton. Even if Johnson could play LF, the Sox may need to use the opening there to make room for a LH power bat.

De Aza has to be the most dispensable outfielder, and Sierra has much better tools to take his place. He’s also much younger, and would have no impact on the payroll. If you read some of the scouting reports on him, from the last 2 or 3 years, he is purported to have significant power potential. I had the impression that he was more of a defense and speed guy, but the reason that he has been considered so intriguing is, in large part, due to his power potential.

Given that power potential, he provides a more attractive option than Viciedo, as well. He’s only 6 months older than Dayan, and is a very good defensive player, with speed and a great arm. Moreover, Sierra’s power is not derived from the kind of violent, big swing that Viciedo employs. That is likely to result in more contact and a better average than Dayan will be able to achieve. Neither Viciedo nor Sierra have realized their potential, and given the vastly better tools, I’d opt for giving Sierra the playing time. Viciedo does also possess a terrifc arm, but that’s the only other tool he has, aside from the ability to hit for power. As long as Sierra’s projected power potential is legitimate, why not let the player who can contribute in so many other ways, get the chance to develop it? And, of course, Sierra would not negatively impact the payroll.

Although I was on board with the practically unanimous view that the Sox needed to upgrade the catching position, I’m very encouraged by Flowers’ recent ability to “square up” pitches. Ever since he donned the specs, in favor of contacts, he has really looked dangerous. This is the first time, all season, that he seems to have an idea of what he’s doing with the bat in his hands. Earlier in the year, even when he was hitting for average, he almost never barreled the ball up. We all remember that crazy streak, during which he got so many “duck snorts” and other lucky hits.

I love his hitting to right field, and if this new approach allows him to have decent at bats, his power will ultimately become a factor, Tyler is extremely strong.

Defensively, I don’t know how he is rated, but he passes the “eye test” for me. I like his pitch calling, and pitch blocking, and he has a strong and accurate arm.

My 2015 lineup:

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH The LH Power Bat? (I’m hoping that Wilkins is for real. He may be a long shot, but at least he has a better chance than a certain former star, for whom I was hoping last year)

LF A.Garcia

3B Gillaspie vs RHP / Semien vs. LHP

RF Sierra

C Flowers

2B Sanchez

I have trouble imagining that Davidson could be ready to contribute, any earlier than late next season.

I guess it's a realistic lineup but the sox have a lot of money to spend, I fully expect atleast 2 players through trades or FA and like 2 pitchers(starter,reliever)

I look at the upcoming free agent class and am not too excited about the White Sox prospects. Either it is going to be prohibitive or a bunch of crap. I don't know why if you don't like Adam Dunn and know the Sox are looking for left handed hitting, why you would want the team to throw money at Billy Butler. He has been awful.