2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
PREACH

:pray

:lol:

I must give you credit Joshua. I actually liked the idea of CarGo until you brought up his splits, then I went to look them up and noticed his salary for the next three years, I actually said out loud "f*** THAT!". :D

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:09 AM)
George Ofman ‏@georgeofman Oct 7

Look for White Sox to bid high for Cuban free agent Yasmany Tomas. Power corner outfielder who knows Abreu.

I'd love this.....

If we get him I see no way that Tank is on the roster next season.

QUOTE (chisoxfan310 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:21 PM)
If we get him I see no way that Tank is on the roster next season.

If Sox do manage to get Tomas and stick him in LF, I think adding Cargo would be even more beneficial because it gives you another OF that could spell Garcia or Tomas to fill in at DH, and the lefty bat we are looking for.

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH Gonzalez

LF Tomas

RF Garcia

3B Gillaspie

2B Semien

C Flowers

That's a pretty damn good line up.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 10:26 AM)
If Sox do manage to get Tomas and stick him in LF, I think adding Cargo would be even more beneficial because it gives you another OF that could spell Garcia or Tomas to fill in at DH, and the lefty bat we are looking for.

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH Gonzalez

LF Tomas

RF Garcia

3B Gillaspie

2B Semien

C Flowers

We aren't going to bring in Tomas and Cargo. Tomas is going to be expensive, we won't bring in two very expensive outfielders.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH Gonzalez

LF Tomas

RF Garcia

3B Gillaspie

2B Semien

C Flowers

Who is Gonzalez? Andy Gonzalez?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:15 PM)
:lol:

I must give you credit Joshua. I actually liked the idea of CarGo until you brought up his splits, then I went to look them up and noticed his salary for the next three years, I actually said out loud "f*** THAT!". :D

Bad contract, bad knees, and bad hitter away from Coors

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:26 PM)

CF Eaton

SS Ramirez

1B Abreu

DH Gonzalez

LF Tomas

RF Garcia

3B Gillaspie

2B Semien

C Flowers

I think Tomas is going to San Diego

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
After taking into account CarGo's splits, injuries, and the fact he's owed 53M over the next three years, I don't get why people continue to bring up his name. Can someone offer a rational explanation please.

Shields is another name that gets brought up and yet makes no sense given his age and length of contract he will get.

Maeda is another guy I wouldn't get my hopes up for. I'm really hoping the Sox don't waste their time on him.

RE: CarGo -- because without those warts, he wouldn't be available at all. The high money is what limits his market, and our low payroll gives us a chance to play there -- to overpay on a contract like that using the equity that Sale/Quintana/Abreu's contracts have bought us and still end up breaking even from a team salary/production standpoint. His relatively young age and the nature of his injury history alos means he comes with considerable upside, if you assume a fully healthy year is a possibility. Given the Rockies change in leadership, a change in "direction" for them is more likely than ever, making it more likley that CarGo is on the block.

I'm not sure I'm ready to jump on the CarGo train necessarily, but there's a logical argument to be made, certainly.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:32 PM)
I think Tomas is going to San Diego

It'll be interesting to see where he goes.

That same guy that tweeted about the Sox and Tomas said that Abreu is pushing the front office to sign him.

The tweet is in his replies to another person.

Is there a thread for the Yasmani Tomas sweepstakes?

I know his current projections sound a lot like Tank but...

The Sox have money to spend

Tomas would fit the "core" age group the Sox have spoken of

No compensation attached to signing him

The Sox have a hole in the outfield to fill

This seems like a signing right up the Sox alley. The only thing is he is right handed.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:34 AM)
In theory this makes sense, but the best free agent pitcher of any offseason gets the kind of titanic overpay that makes you say "That team will regret this" even as it's happening.

And, every single time, they do regret it.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)
Is there a thread for the Yasmani Tomas sweepstakes?

I know his current projections sound a lot like Tank but...

The Sox have money to spend

Tomas would fit the "core" age group the Sox have spoken of

No compensation attached to signing him

The Sox have a hole in the outfield to fill

This seems like a signing right up the Sox alley. The only thing is he is right handed.

Of course they can be very wrong, buyt FWIW, the scouting consensus on Tomas is that he is very likely to be vastly overpaid and has a better-than-average chance of being the first truly big-time Cuban bust. From what I've read, a lot of guys think he's eerily similar to Viciedo, but with a bit more footspeed and a bit less arm.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:37 PM)
Of course they can be very wrong, buyt FWIW, the scouting consensus on Tomas is that he is very likely to be vastly overpaid and has a better-than-average chance of being the first truly big-time Cuban bust. From what I've read, a lot of guys think he's eerily similar to Viciedo, but with a bit more footspeed and a bit less arm.

I'm completely on the fence with Tomas. One minute it sounds like a good idea and the next it does not. If the Sox sign him I'll trust in their scouting and if they don't I'll hope its a blessing.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 10:37 AM)

Well, at least we all know that our front office has one of the greatest Cuban Scouting assets in the league... AKA: Jose Abreu.

Even if you want to ignore his splits, and IMO, a split with that big of a discrepancy should not be ignored, the only time GarGo played more than 135 games was in 2010.

Who are you going to put out in LF the 30 games or more he misses?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)

That same guy that tweeted about the Sox and Tomas said that Abreu is pushing the front office to sign him.

Of course he does, they're countrymen. No don't know much about him and I am pretty invested in the INTL side of things, but I don't want him because the contract is going to be pretty big I imagine.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 12:34 PM)

The guy that tweeted it is George Ofman. He's a longtime Chicago Update Guy on the radio and he doesn't usually break news. He tweeted the Tomas stuff the other day and today he tweeted that Puig is available and the Cubs are one of the teams interested. Weird that he's tweeting about rumors.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Oct 9, 2014 -> 11:36 AM)
Well the Yankees probably said that about Sabathia, too, in year two of the deal :D

I think they would still tell you what they paid CC was worth it. If you put that 8 year deal over 5 years with the rest being dead money, you are talking about 36M per year and given the value he brought to the organization over his first 5 years, I don't think they'd have a major issue. Team got WAR of 22.1 over 5 years, with an average of 4.42. He also in certain years was one of the very best in the entire game. I'd say if they went back, they probably still make the deal (would they prefer less years, sure, but all things considered, I think they'd say what they got out of CC was worth it...especially when you factor in their payroll).