2015 Offseason

Boopa1219

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:16 PM)
That's more what it is. They need to write, and if there is a down period like this, they have to come up with something.

yeah but can't they see how much Levine is a dick?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For the first time in a very long time, the Sox have A LOT of room financially to make a significant splash in free agency. Not only that, the Sox will keep their 8th overall pick in next years draft. I am super excited to get this offseason rolling. Obviously a lefty hitter, righty starting pitcher and the bullpen will be the focus. My only wonder is if will Hahn make any shocking trades that can change the landscape of this roster next year? Will he go bold and deal someone like Ramirez or Quintana??

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:49 PM)
For the first time in a very long time, the Sox have A LOT of room financially to make a significant splash in free agency. Not only that, the Sox will keep their 8th overall pick in next years draft. I am super excited to get this offseason rolling. Obviously a lefty hitter, righty starting pitcher and the bullpen will be the focus. My only wonder is if will Hahn make any shocking trades that can change the landscape of this roster next year? Will he go bold and deal someone like Ramirez or Quintana??

I don't know why you'd deal Ramirez or Quintana and spend money on the FA market. Exact opposite directions.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 08:17 PM)
I don't know why you'd deal Ramirez or Quintana and spend money on the FA market. Exact opposite directions.

Perhaps they like a player MORE who is currently property of another team than any free agent out there? Your saying Hahn can't make trades AND acquire free agents? For instance, look at the offseason KW had 10 years ago.

Trade: Carlos Lee for Pods and Viciedo

Sign: AJ, Iguchi, El duque

Just because you trade players AND sign FA's in the same offseason, it doesn't mean you are going in 'opposite' directions. Your just being creative with your assets in attempt to make the team stronger.

Except that Lee was about to get very expensive and the org didn't want to pay him.

Meanwhile Quintana is paid like a scrub for the next 3 years.

You don't trade one of the best contracts in baseball, that's bad management. Trading Alexei makes some sense but not Q.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
Except that Lee was about to get very expensive and the org didn't want to pay him.

You don't trade one of the best contracts in baseball, that's bad management. Trading Alexei makes some sense but not Q.

There's the difference. Almost impossible to "save money" by trading any of those guys since we're not going to find a more affordable, high-quality replacement.

Carlos Sanchez and Tyler Saladino are not, as of now, starting shortstops on a championship team, and Tim Anderson has barely scratched AA. Any of those guys you're putting at SS...I have no idea why you're spending money on other FAs at the same time.

Replacing Quintana with James Shields or something like that stands a good chance of being a downgrade and there goes the ability to spend money on any other FAs, so that deal would somehow have to solve most of your lineup problems.

Trading Alexei represents a big risk to be sure. He is a steady producer and his contract dovetails nicely with when Tim Anderson should (please please) be ready.

However, if you can get long term cost controlled talent for him, there are options on the FA market that can take over at SS for a year or so, for a similar or lesser price.

Just one of the many possibilities facing Hahn this offseason.

QUOTE (daggins @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 09:14 PM)

If you are of the belief that Q is more of a 3 or 4 than a 2 or 1, trading him could make some sense. But only if the SOX think this is a several year rebuild. With Sale and Abreu also under contract at or even before their primes, it is hard justify.

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
If the Marlins are looking for pitching, how palatable is a Quintana for Yelich and Cishek trade?

Ew, no thanks on that front.

If Q is going to the Marlins, give me 3B Colin Moran, SP Anthony DeSclafani, C J.T. Realmuto, and C/2B/3B Austin Barnes.

Q was a top 10 WAR pitcher this season, and signed to a very nice, long deal. His value should be huge, and those are 4 potential top 10 players in the Marlins system.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:17 AM)

If Q is going to the Marlins, give me 3B Colin Moran, SP Anthony DeSclafani, C J.T. Realmuto, and C/2B/3B Austin Barnes.

Q was a top 10 WAR pitcher this season, and signed to a very nice, long deal. His value should be huge, and those are 4 potential top 10 players in the Marlins system.

has been traded to Houston.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
Perhaps they like a player MORE who is currently property of another team than any free agent out there? Your saying Hahn can't make trades AND acquire free agents? For instance, look at the offseason KW had 10 years ago.

Trade: Carlos Lee for Pods and Viciedo

Sign: AJ, Iguchi, El duque

Just because you trade players AND sign FA's in the same offseason, it doesn't mean you are going in 'opposite' directions. Your just being creative with your assets in attempt to make the team stronger.

huh? Tank was signed in 2008

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 10:02 PM)
If you are of the belief that Q is more of a 3 or 4 than a 2 or 1, trading him could make some sense. But only if the SOX think this is a several year rebuild. With Sale and Abreu also under contract at or even before their primes, it is hard justify.

Jose Quintana has been a very good pitcher who has been getting better for 3 years now. Frankly, so long as you evaluate pitchers rationally, it's virtually impossible to argue that he is not a top 30 pitcher in the game.

This is reminiscent of the arguments we had when Buehrle was a member of the White Sox. Quintana has better stuff than Buehrle, but all the same, Quintana's stuff is not eye-popping or flashy and, thus, people want to say he is not as good as his numbers indicate. Quintana is very, very good. You won't trade him because you won't receive sufficient value from another team to offset the advantages that Quintana gives the White Sox.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:17 AM)

If Q is going to the Marlins, I'm getting one of Stanton, Yelich, or Ozuna in return. And, if it's Yelich or Ozuna, I'm getting another pitcher or two in that trade too. At this point, the Sox need to be done trading young, quality players for packages of prospects.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 03:17 AM)

You do realize that Yelich is a 4 WAR player this year and was the 6th best prospect last year.

I think the kid can be a 20/20, 6 WAR player in a year or two, while providing good walk rate and good defense in LF. While Cishek is a closer in his prime who does hit free agency till 2018.

I doubt Marlins would even do that trade, but if they offer, I'd consider.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 04:17 AM)

Just to stress again...if we make a move like this, there is absolutely no reason to sign any big time FA this year. You're restocking the system great, but none of those guys is likely to be a major contributor to a division championship run next year - 2 of them had September cups of coffee, one of them is in the middle of the minors, none of them will step in and be likely all stars next year.

QUOTE (Kevtrem @ Oct 6, 2014 -> 11:44 PM)
If the Marlins are looking for pitching, how palatable is a Quintana for Yelich and Cishek trade?

If I am sending Quintana to Florida, I want Gio Stanton as a part of the deal. There is no other reason to do that trade.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:22 AM)
Just to stress again...if we make a move like this, there is absolutely no reason to sign any big time FA this year. You're restocking the system great, but none of those guys is likely to be a major contributor to a division championship run next year - 2 of them had September cups of coffee, one of them is in the middle of the minors, none of them will step in and be likely all stars next year.

I'll go a step further and say that if you trade Quintana for that, you may as well trade Sale while you're at it. Trading a proven, young commodity who is signed to a contract like that for a package of prospects is a death blow to the rebuilding efforts. If you are trading Quintana, you have to get another very good, young cost controlled player. You have to be able to safely assume they'll stay good or continue improving. You can't risk doing that with prospects at this point.

I also do not understand why people annually (or bi-annually, or every single day, or whatever) bring up trading Jose Quintana. It just does not make sense.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
I also do not understand why people annually (or bi-annually, or every single day, or whatever) bring up trading Jose Quintana. It just does not make sense.

I think it comes from some kind of "SELL HIGH" mentality. Except if a team always sold high on everybody, it would suck forever. We might as well trade Sale, like you said. And Abreu, while we're at it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 09:32 AM)
I'll go a step further and say that if you trade Quintana for that, you may as well trade Sale while you're at it. Trading a proven, young commodity who is signed to a contract like that for a package of prospects is a death blow to the rebuilding efforts. If you are trading Quintana, you have to get another very good, young cost controlled player. You have to be able to safely assume they'll stay good or continue improving. You can't risk doing that with prospects at this point.

Agreed with all of this.

I think there's two rationals behind trading Q. 1- he doesn't have the sexy "stuff" that pitchers of his caliper usually have. 2- I think some get too caught in rebuilding the farm. Yes, in the right trade, Q could bring in a nice haul that COULD be key pieces in the future but that does nothing to help the cause now.

The Sox have Sale, Q and Rodon to build a starting rotation around. Why would anyone want to split that up is beyond me. Especially since the Sox have so much room in the payroll to play with, we don't need to do the KW " addition by subtraction" bit.

I'm not against trading anyone to be honest but guys like Q and especially Sale have so much value that the haul would be unprecedented and probably unlikely.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 7, 2014 -> 12:59 PM)
Agreed with all of this.

I think there's two rationals behind trading Q. 1- he doesn't have the sexy "stuff" that pitchers of his caliper usually have. 2- I think some get too caught in rebuilding the farm. Yes, in the right trade, Q could bring in a nice haul that COULD be key pieces in the future but that does nothing to help the cause now.

The Sox have Sale, Q and Rodon to build a starting rotation around. Why would anyone want to split that up is beyond me. Especially since the Sox have so much room in the payroll to play with, we don't need to do the KW " addition by subtraction" bit.

I'm not against trading anyone to be honest but guys like Q and especially Sale have so much value that the haul would be unprecedented and probably unlikely.

I agree with this and just want to add that, despite not having a ton of guys who you look to and think of them as a star (or for my OOTP friends, 5-star prospects), there is a lot more depth and guys you can reasonably and safely project to the majors at some point in time.

Beyond anything, and this is a point I try and stress as often as I can, minor league rankings mean nothing. The Sox is on the upswing and will continue to do so. That is where the patience is an absolute necessity as a fan base.

This notion of #1 and #2 starters is outdated just call a spade a spade. Quintana was #9 overall in fWAR this season at 5.3. His contract makes him one of the most valuable assets in baseball.

If the sox are going to go all in and want to continue to let Sanchez develop at AAA and Semien to break in slowly while backing up Conor. I wouldn't be against Hahn pursuing Hector Olivera and keeping Alexei.

Sign Olivera

Sign Morales

Trade for CarGo

Trade for Grandal

something like this

L Eaton

R Olivera

L CarGo

R Abreu

S Morales

R Garcia

S Grandal