3B and LF Situation for 2015

The Wiz

First thing let me say I am a big fan of Conor Gillaspie the hitter and think he has a great approach and can be a useful bat for any team as his approach is very unselfish. Do I think he is a future .300 hitter every year? Probably not, but definitely someone who can live in that 270-290 range, decent OBP, a little pop, good contact, and a good platoon partner.

However, as much as I try, it has become inevitable that he is not very good at 3B. He has been ok at times, but for the most part, his bat isn't good enough to offset his lack of defense at 3B. I think it might be wise to give him an outfielders glove for next year and work at LF. Might not produce the power you want from the corner OF, but I think if he spent all offseason working at it, he can't be any worse than the options we have thrown out there in LF over the past couple years.

But if you do move him to LF, you have to find someone to play 3B. Matt Davidson really has screwed things up and will almost certainly have to start next year in AAA to try and prove he is a legit prospect again. In the free agent market, someone like Chase Headley is starting to make sense. You can get him probably on a 1 year contract with an option for a 2nd so he can try and prove he can hit again and maybe get that big contract we all thought he would get two years ago at the age of 32 or 33. And even if he doesn't ever hit like he did in 2012 again, his 2013 line would be more than fine with the defense he would provide at 3B. You maybe sign Martinez for DH and find a right handed partner for Gillaspie in LF, and it's not a bad looking lineup for 2015 regardless of what happens with Alexei, Flowers, and the whole 2B situation.

1. Eaton, CF

2. Semien/Sanchez/Johnson, 2B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Martinez, DH

5. Garcia, RF

6. Gillaspie, LF

7. Ramirez, SS

8. Headley, 3B

9. Flowers, C

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 12:41 PM)
No chance. Davidson clearly hasn't earned it.

I still think Conor can be an average to good defensive 3rd baseman. There's a 97.654% chance he never plays at all in the outfield. He used an old Robin Ventura glove in today's game. Seems comfortable with it .

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 04:10 PM)
that is one option that I have been thinking about. Semien, Sanchez, Johnson need positions.

You don't move a top 30-40 mlb ops guy away from a corner if spot unless one of those guys really merits everyday playing time...in all likelihood u have one starter there among the three and the other two fighting for a utility role

QUOTE (scs787 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 05:51 PM)
If they think Mcah is an everyday 2B then I'd open to selling high on Gillaspie and inserting Semien over there.....A good SP, LF, DH, or a closer(oh the irony), would be nice.

If Conor has earned himself some good trade value then this would be my plan considering that it seems the Sox are making 2b Micah's to lose.

My dream offseason

Sign V-Mart to a 4 year $60 million deal

Sign Russell Martin to a 3 year $33 million deal

Sign Brandon McCarthy to a 3 year $30 million deal (Love his advanced numbers)

Sign Emilio Bonifacio to a 2 year $10 million deal as a super sub

Sign a couple of relievers ($8 million)

We have around $44 million committed to next year. Throw in another $10 million for Viciedo, Flowers, Noesi, and Nate Jones arbitration contracts. Add the above signings and the payroll is just over $100 million

1. Eaton CF

2. Martin C

3. Abreu IB

4. Martinez DH

5. Garcia RF

6. Ramirez SS

7. Gillaspie 3B

8. Viciedo LF

9. Johnson/Semien/Sanchez ect.

1. Sale

2. McCarthy

3. Quintana

4. Rodon/Noesi

5. Danks

QUOTE (professa @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
My dream offseason

Sign V-Mart to a 4 year $60 million deal

Sign Russell Martin to a 3 year $33 million deal

Sign Brandon McCarthy to a 3 year $30 million deal (Love his advanced numbers)

Sign Emilio Bonifacio to a 2 year $10 million deal as a super sub

Sign a couple of relievers ($8 million)

We have around $44 million committed to next year. Throw in another $10 million for Viciedo, Flowers, Noesi, and Nate Jones arbitration contracts. Add the above signings and the payroll is just over $100 million

1. Eaton CF

2. Martin C

3. Abreu IB

4. Martinez DH

5. Garcia RF

6. Ramirez SS

7. Gillaspie 3B

8. Viciedo LF

9. Johnson/Semien/Sanchez ect.

1. Sale

2. McCarthy

3. Quintana

4. Rodon/Noesi

5. Danks

Only deal I like out of this is Bonifacio.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 09:43 PM)
Tank is still pretty young and has a little value left. I'm assuming he will be traded this offseason for a decent prospect.

I don't think anyone will trade for him until after the arbitration offer deadline because they wonder if the Sox will non-tender him, and then I don't think anyone will trade for him afterwards because if he is offered arb no one will want to spend $5-6 million on him next year.

I think he'd get less than that as a free agent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 10:32 PM)
I don't think anyone will trade for him until after the arbitration offer deadline because they wonder if the Sox will non-tender him, and then I don't think anyone will trade for him afterwards because if he is offered arb no one will want to spend $5-6 million on him next year.

I think he'd get less than that as a free agent.

Yea exactly he has no value. He's a .5 WAR (at bets) player that will cost around 3-5 million. Even if the Sox bring him back it will be as a platoon option and that is absolute best case. Would not be surprised to see him traded for a similar type ("your junk for my junk" or just non tendered.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 1, 2014 -> 02:42 AM)
Yea exactly he has no value. He's a .5 WAR (at bets) player that will cost around 3-5 million. Even if the Sox bring him back it will be as a platoon option and that is absolute best case. Would not be surprised to see him traded for a similar type ("your junk for my junk" or just non tendered.

Yeah, let somebody else try to fix his offensive game. Like Beckham and Dunn, he's outlived his Sox days.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Aug 31, 2014 -> 08:51 PM)
I'd like to see Semien playing everyday somewhere...maybe LF? Good God, he is absolutely crushing it in AAA.

I actually think that is exactly whats going to happen if the Sox get rid of Tank or put him at DH. A 3 way battle for 2nd base is not ideal. Just too many guys all requiring AB's to prove anything. After he's called up he will be playing a decent amount of OF since that's what he was doing at AAA. How it all works out eventually is still TBD.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (The Wiz @ Sep 2, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
A Viciedo for another struggling young player who's worn out his welcome with his ball club swap makes too much sense. Dustin Ackley actually seemed like the perfect candidate until he started to heat up this second half.

The other issue for the White Sox is that they have a glut of upper-level infielders and we're not going to give someone else's struggling prospect time at AAA or the Bigs ahead of Semien, Gillaspie, Davidson, Johnson, Sanchez, etc.