Your 2015 Offseason Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 06:34 PM)
I just tweeted something similar.

Yeah, I think his starter days are over. But I think he could be something in the bullpen. He's still young, 29 I believe.

Anybody know what he has been throwing mph wise lately?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 07:37 PM)
Yeah, I think his starter days are over. But I think he could be something in the bullpen. He's still young, 29 I believe.

Anybody know what he has been throwing mph wise lately?

He pitched 0 big league innings in 2014, in 2013 his max fastball hit >93, but still down from when he was peaking at 95+ as a starter.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 12:08 AM)
I say go for it. After all, this is Canseco and Madonna were talking about.

Is it a reference to her playboy pics in the 80's?

nah, I would like to keep this clean..... but I am tempted.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
He pitched 0 big league innings in 2014, in 2013 his max fastball hit >93, but still down from when he was peaking at 95+ as a starter.

I would like to know what his salary demands would be???

with the lost of his speed, I think he is savvy enuf to be a better all around

better pitcher.

a couple more waiver pickups. Dana Eveland and Buddy Carlyle.

I have always been a fan of Dana Eveland. however the pitcher

who may fill the need of the sox would be Carlyle, even for a 1 plus

1 option in yrs and performance.

Sign

1. Brandon McCarthy 3yrs 38 mil

2. Andrew Miller 3 yrs 26 mil

3. Luke Gregerson 2 yrs 12 mil

4. One of these 2 (preference in order) Nick Markakis 3 yrs 33 mil Melky Cabrera 3 yrs 47 mil

(Move Avisail to LF left if you acquire Markakis)

5. Justin Masterson 1 yr 8 mil

Trade John Danks for Edwin Jackson and stick him in the bullpen/spot starter

Lineup

Eaton-CF

Markakis-RF (or Cabrera-LF)

Abreu-1B

Avisail-LF (RF)

Alexei-SS

Gillaspie-3B

Viciedo- DH

Flowers-C

Micah Johnson-2B

Rotation

Sale

McCarthy

Quintana

Rodon

Masterson

Bullpen

CL-Petricka

Putnam

Miller

Gregerson

Guerra

Jackson

Carroll

Edited by palehose23

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Sign

4. One of these 2 (preference in order) Nick Markakis 3 yrs 33 mil Melky Cabrera 3 yrs 47 mil

Lineup

Eaton-CF

Markakis-RF (or Cabrera-LF)

Abreu-1B

Avisail-LF (RF)

Alexei-SS

Gillaspie-3B

Viciedo- DH

Flowers-C

Micah Johnson-2B

Rotation

Sale

McCarthy

Quintana

Rodon

Masterson

Bullpen

CL-Petricka

Putnam

Miller

Gregerson

Guerra

Surkamp

Carroll

What happens with John Danks and his contract? Also, Noesi put up better numbers than Masterson so why replace Noesi?

Not trying to nitpick, just asking a few questions is all.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)
What happens with John Danks and his contract? Also, Noesi put up better numbers than Masterson so why replace Noesi?

This plan means the White Sox add $45M - $50M to the payroll.

How realistic is that?

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 09:33 PM)

I initially had a trade on there that I erased which was Danks for Edwin Jackson but I thought better about it. Forgot to include him on 2015 roster, my bad

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 01:45 AM)
Only 39 million from new players which gets you to the starting 2014 payroll

I don't think the White Sox get Miller for 3/26. He is pretty well guaranteed $8 per year and Boston and Baltimore are at least involved. He said he will not give Boston a home town discount so my gut says the White Sox have to go 4/$40 to seperate themselves from more attractive situations for him.

Alright my new plan....

Trades-

-Viciedo for Carson Smith and PTBNL

-Carlos Sanchez for Adam Lind

Signings-

- I still can't decide so 1 of Melky, Markakis or Rasmus

- Chad Billingsley

- Sergio Romo

- Zach Duke

- Jorge Despaigne

C- Flowers

1B- Abreu

2B- Micah Johnson/Semien

SS- Alexei

3B- Conor/Semien

LF- Free Agent

CF- Eaton

RF- Garcia

DH- Lind

SP- Sale

SP- Q

SP- Rodon

SP- Noesi

SP- Danks

RP- Bassit

RP- Colton Smith

RP- Putnam

LHRP- Zach Duke

LHRP- Snodgress

SU- Petricka

CL- Sergio Romo

Edited by TheFutureIsNear

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 08:56 PM)
Sign

teh problem here is that if you sit back and look at it , the Sox have spent $141 million on 2 bullpen pitchers, a #3, starter, a #4 starter (a #12 starter if he repeats 2014) and one outfielder.

A lot of money for a lot of decent talent.

Factor out last year, Miller is indistinguishable from the Sox bullpen pitchers last year. I know we'll have to sign one of these relief pitchers but I wouldn't go overboard. It's reasonable to expect some internal improvement from these guys and the Sox farm actually has some real prospect arms.

McCarthy is an injury machine - I like him (I liked him a lot when he pitched for us) and he would be a good fit for this rotation IF we can get 200 innings out of him, which has happened exactly once in his 10 year career (last year).

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 10:59 AM)
0 chance

I still don't understand why this is so impossible. IF the players they're signing all make since I could certainly see it. Now the chances on them being able to "beat" every other team on these guys that make sense might be rather slim, but hypothetically speaking if their offers do get em I don't see them capping their spendings.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)
I still don't understand why this is so impossible. IF the players they're signing all make since I could certainly see it. Now the chances on them being able to "beat" every other team on these guys that make sense might be rather slim, but hypothetically speaking if their offers do get em I don't see them capping their spendings.

The one problem they are going to have is many teams who spend a lot of money are looking for the exact same things the White Sox are looking for. So the top pf the line guys are going to cost a lot in either cash if they are free agents or talent in a trade, so I would imagine most of the White Sox holes are going to be filled by lower tiered guys they think project well.

QUOTE (palehose23 @ Oct 31, 2014 -> 10:05 PM)
I initially had a trade on there that I erased which was Danks for Edwin Jackson but I thought better about it. Forgot to include him on 2015 roster, my bad

Its cool, I was curious is all.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 11:28 AM)

Agreed. Its not like the payroll would rise to uncharted territory. If Hahn signs and trades for the right players to make this team a contender in 2015 I can see it happening quite easily.

Seeing as how the off season just got started, I'll wait and see what Hahn comes up with before deciding yes or no on anything.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
The one problem they are going to have is many teams who spend a lot of money are looking for the exact same things the White Sox are looking for. So the top pf the line guys are going to cost a lot in either cash if they are free agents or talent in a trade, so I would imagine most of the White Sox holes are going to be filled by lower tiered guys they think project well.

That's where my 2nd sentence comes into play. I'm sure they'll be in on all the guys that make sense for the ball club but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll win the bidding on all those guys.

I'm merely saying that if they can make sense of 45-50M in new money that it can happen.

I mean with arbitration to Flowers, Noesi, Jones, and Guerra the payroll will only be 47M so the 45-50M wouldn't even put the payroll over 100M....The possibility exists that some team might take on Danks as well so that's even more.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 12:45 PM)
Its cool, I was curious is all.

Agreed. Its not like the payroll would rise to uncharted territory. If Hahn signs and trades for the right players to make this team a contender in 2015 I can see it happening quite easily.

Seeing as how the off season just got started, I'll wait and see what Hahn comes up with before deciding yes or no on anything.

I actually agree with you guys on this, if the White Sox find the right fits, they could absolutely justify adding $40 million or so to the payroll, but the key is going to be getting something done successfully via trade first because $40 million spent solely in FA doesn't make this team a contender unless someone over-performs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)
I actually agree with you guys on this, if the White Sox find the right fits, they could absolutely justify adding $40 million or so to the payroll, but the key is going to be getting something done successfully via trade first because $40 million spent solely in FA doesn't make this team a contender unless someone over-performs.

They could certainly justify 40M on the market if the rumors of them wanting Martinez are true. I know a lot of people don't want him or don't see it happening because of his QO but I for one can still see it happening.....Could probably say the same should they decide to go after Russell Martin who is gonna cost a pretty penny as well.

1 of those 2 guys alone is gonna cost 12-20M.

Even without those guys it's plausible but everything would have to go right and they hit on a SP, 2 bullpen arms, a LFer, and a DH.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 11:59 AM)

Exactly. I think, for the Sox to make this team a contender it will take a combination of smart trades as well as one or two key signings in FA but the Sox cannot afford to do only one or the other. They don't have the farm for trades only and trying to fill all the holes through FA is insanely costly and still does not guarantee contention as the Yankees have proven.

If the Sox were to add something like 40M+ this off season, it would put the payroll somewhere around, what, 100-110M? That's not unreasonable for a team that had a 128M payroll just a few years ago. If I remember right, Rock said the Sox are ready to spend for the right players so I'll wait and see what Hahn comes up with. Seeing as how the off season just got started, its too early to dismiss any possibilities.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 1, 2014 -> 01:27 PM)
Exactly. I think, for the Sox to make this team a contender it will take a combination of smart trades as well as one or two key signings in FA but the Sox cannot afford to do only one or the other. They don't have the farm for trades only and trying to fill all the holes through FA is insanely costly and still does not guarantee contention as the Yankees have proven.

If the Sox were to add something like 40M+ this off season, it would put the payroll somewhere around, what, 100-110M? That's not unreasonable for a team that had a 128M payroll just a few years ago. If I remember right, Rock said the Sox are ready to spend for the right players so I'll wait and see what Hahn comes up with. Seeing as how the off season just got started, its too early to dismiss any possibilities.

A $40 million payroll boost takes us pretty darn close to $100 million, maybe a tiny bit over.