Sox acquire Jeff Samardzija and Michael Ynoa

Rooftop Shots

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 10:44 AM)
I doubt the A's were shopping JS in the middle of a pennant race, after they just acquired him for the pennant race

Good point.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:05 AM)
I'd prefer Upton to Shark too. Bare and Upton hitting 3-4 for 5+ years has me drooling.

You ain't lyin! Please let it be Upton with an extension. I know its a pipe dream but whoa would that be a hell of a 3,4,5.

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:11 AM)
Some dude on Twitter that I was told has sources with the A's is insisting that BOTH Alexei and Eaton are in this deal. Can anyone talk me off the ledge here? Trading Eaton for a 1 year rental?

I don't buy it. The Sox trading Eaton makes no sense.

I'd be much more interested in a guy like Upton coming back to the Sox if they are giving up top specs. He fits their model much better than Shark. A lineup of something like:

Eaton

Semien

Upton

Abreu

LaRoche

Avi

Gillaspie

Alexei

Flowers

Looks legits

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Samardzija WAR by year:

This would be like trading for Gavin Floyd in 2010/11, except Floyd was better

Come on dude, I think Shark is overrated to some extent, but including anything but his last three seasons is ridiculous. All those seasons prior to 2012 he was a reliever or they were partial seasons.

He only has three seasons as a starter, two I'd consider good, one I'd consider great. If you trade for Shark the question is are you getting the 2014 version or not.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:37 AM)
Samardzija WAR by year:

This would be like trading for Gavin Floyd in 2010/11, except Floyd was better

Come on dude, I think Shark is overrated to some extent, but including anything but his last three seasons is ridiculous. All those seasons prior to 2012 he was a reliever or they were partial seasons.

He only has three seasons as a starter, two I'd consider good, one I'd consider great. If you trade for Shark the question is are you getting the 2014 version or not.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:44 AM)
If this is what people are talking about.......it doesnt look like a pal of Tim Anderson's. His prior tweets look like he's some Sox fan hoping for a trade soon.

j @jimturano22 · 52m 52 minutes ago

@TimAnderson7 sad. Best of luck in Oakland bud

This is the downside of Twitter. Geeks--please stop bothering the players.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:44 AM)
Good point.

You ain't lyin! Please let it be Upton with an extension. I know its a pipe dream but whoa would that be a hell of a 3,4,5.

I don't buy it. The Sox trading Eaton makes no sense.

It does if he's going to Atlanta.

All I'm saying re: Shark is you're going to be forced into paying in talent and dollars as if those WAR figures are 6-7 each year when in fact he's relatively unproven as a front-of-the-rotation starter. His talent is the main thing garnering him this attention. Jose Quintana has been a better pitcher at least each of the past two years and I bet Billy Beane is asking for him in return

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 12:48 PM)
All I'm saying re: Shark is you're going to be forced into paying in talent and dollars as if those WAR figures are 6-7 each year when in fact he's relatively unproven as a front-of-the-rotation starter. His talent is the main thing garnering him this attention. Jose Quintana has been a better pitcher at least each of the past two years and I bet Billy Beane is asking for him in return

Then you hang up the phone.

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 09:48 AM)

Hasn't the main issue been that he falls off in the second half?

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 01:49 PM)
Then you hang up the phone.

Obviously we're not giving up Q, but when you consider his production and his contract situation, he is worth relatively little in terms of what we ought to be willing to trade. Give them Carlos Sanchez and you might even lose the deal - though I'd probably give them Carlos Sanchez.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 29, 2014 -> 11:45 AM)
Thought it's about winning championships...

While it is true, there has to be a mix. The White Sox could trade Sale and Abreu and Quintana today and wind up with the top farm system in baseball. It won't help them at all in Chicago when 8k are at a Sunday afternoon game watching them lose, but some would be happy to hang their hat on a high ranking.

That said, you do need some talent in your system. Especially when you can't support a $170 million payroll. If they are trading Anderson, I hope they are right. A SS with 6 years of control at rookie and arb rates, if this guy reaches his potential, saves huge cash.

Speaking of Gavin Floyd, this whole rumor factory around this samardjiza deal stinks of the Gavin Floyd to Toronto bs from a couple years back. Everyone has sources and is throwing all kinda of ish against the wall at this point to see what sticks.

Still haven't heard a peep from any notable baseball writer/reporter on the sox being involved. This is all spinning of Susan sussler's singular mention. Think everyone needs to temper their excitement.