Dodgers OFs

GGajewski18

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal · 28m 28 minutes ago

Sources: #Dodgers aggressively trying to move Kemp, Crawford or Ethier. Puig not in play.

#Dodgers willing to include anything from no money to significant money depending upon return.

#Dodgers' Kemp obviously drawing attention, but some teams prefer a left-handed hitter such as Ethier or Crawford.

Discuss.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember not so long ago when they were trying to dump Manny, Pierre and Andruw Jones.

Seems they find themselves in a similar situation with "bad" contracts for Ethier and Crawford, and then the continued presence of Kemp or dealing him seems to be the biggest single offseason issue to be revealed.

It doesn't feel like Kemp and Puig can co-exist together forever without combusting again.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 03:31 AM)
I remember not so long ago when they were trying to dump Manny, Pierre and Andruw Jones.

Seems they find themselves in a similar situation with "bad" contracts for Ethier and Crawford, and then the continued presence of Kemp or dealing him seems to be the biggest single offseason issue to be revealed.

It doesn't feel like Kemp and Puig can co-exist together forever without combusting again.

I totally forgot about that. interesting turn. I remember one of the writers out

of LA was mentioning that either Crawford or Ethier was going with Kemp being

hands off. that was b/c he started to play and hit again. maybe things has change.

Ethier makes the most sense, either in a contract swap for Danks or with the Dodgers eating significant money.

Crawford would be nice but he has the "downside" of being actually pretty useful and probably wouldn't come cheap.

Kemp's situation is kind of weird/unique and i'm not sure if he can be moved.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 10:54 PM)
Ethier makes the most sense, either in a contract swap for Danks or with the Dodgers eating significant money.

Crawford would be nice but he has the "downside" of being actually pretty useful and probably wouldn't come cheap.

I'd take either of the three depending on what's included.

My preference would be Kemp, Ethier, then Crawford.

QUOTE (daggins @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:54 AM)

Agreed. And that's not to mention that Kemp's defense is brutal. Ethier meanwhile was their choice to get starts at CF into the playoffs.

Ethier would make the most sense if he could still play, but he cannot.

Kemp is the only one of the three worth a damn.

Edited by Andy the Clown

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 9, 2014 -> 10:34 PM)
I realize the Sox aren't looking for a RH hitter but Kemp would be my choice. I'm not sure what the Sox should offer in return or how much money to ask for though.

Sign Panda or Headley, trade for someone like Snyder and the lineup changes tremendously.

Travis Snider, right?

I would definitely like to add Matt Kemp as our DH. It's actually kind of amazing how bad he is defensively. He managed to turn a 140 wRC+ season in to only a 1.8 WAR year because of how HORRENDOUS he is defensively. Matt Kemp was a top 20 offensive player in baseball last year. He produced similar offensive value as Nelson Cruz did.

In fact, if you 0 out his defense to an average defender last year with similar offensive value, you'd get 2014's Josh Harrison, who put up a 4.9 WAR. So Kemp's comically bad defense last year cost him about 3 wins. That's a ton. Let's say instead of being a league average OF last year, he spent more than half of his games as a DH like Cruz did, he would have had about a 3.9 WAR. Still 2 wins lost because of his defense.

Basically my point is we should get him, and never let him near a glove again.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
Kemp would make sense if he wasn't a DH who is owed $110 million.

Look at Rosenthal's tweets. No one is going to pay Kemp $110M.

How about John Danks and Chris Bassitt for Matt Kemp + $40M.

Then we pay Kemp $70M over the next 5 seasons, plus we shave off the remaining $29M from Danks contract, and it's like we are paying Kemp $41M over 5 years. If he's a full time DH, he can be a 3 WAR player.

Edited by Chilihead90

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:01 AM)
Kemp would make sense if he wasn't a DH who is owed $110 million.

I understand what you're saying. The way I look at it is the Sox would get money along with Kemp and to be honest I would rather have a 30 year old Matt Kemp for the next five seasons than a 35 (36 in December) year old VMart for next 4. Who knows, if the Sox get enough money with Kemp, he could end up costing the same money as VMart. Eh, just my little way of trying to justify it I guess.

Edited by StRoostifer

Danks for Eithier, Van Slyke, and some cash (to balance out the 3rd year on Eithiers contract). I'd throw in Viciedo or a prospect like Hawkins if needed to get it done.

That would address both DH and LF, with no added cost on next years payroll. Leaving money to splurge on 1-2 starting pitchers and some bullpen help.

Edited by Whitey

QUOTE (Whitey @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 05:34 AM)
Danks for Eithier, Van Slyke, and some cash (to balance out the 3rd year on Eithiers contract). I'd throw in a prospect like Hawkins if needed to get it done.

That would address both DH and LF, with no added cost on next years payroll. Leaving money to splurge on 1-2 starting pitchers and some bullpen help.

I don't think the Dodgers are too desperate for any more outfield help at the moment...they're more interested in filling in the back end of the starting rotation, bullpen, 3B and catcher.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 12:16 AM)
Look at Rosenthal's tweets. No one is going to pay Kemp $110M.

How about John Danks and Chris Bassitt for Matt Kemp + $40M.

Then we pay Kemp $70M over the next 5 seasons, plus we shave off the remaining $29M from Danks contract, and it's like we are paying Kemp $41M over 5 years. If he's a full time DH, he can be a 3 WAR player.

Why would the Dodgers ever make this trade? Matt Kemp may be overpaid, but eating $40M and taking on Danks' contract all for Chris Bassitt would be pure insanity. Throw in the fact that Andrew Friedman is their new GM and there is zero chance of this deal happening.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 10, 2014 -> 11:39 AM)
I don't think the Dodgers are too desperate for any more outfield help at the moment...they're more interested in filling in the back end of the starting rotation, bullpen, 3B and catcher.

I disagree b/c they, the dodgers need to empty some of that bottleneck in the

outfield for their own prospects coming up, esp 1 in particular.