Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:23 PM)
If Viciedo was going to be moved it should have happened by now. They did exactly the same thing with De Aza last year, people kept saying "Oh they'll trade him in January, oh they'll trade him in ST, he's a solid player and he doesn't fit where we are, oh they'll trade him at the end of ST" and then wham.

No one wants a $4 million trash bill except us for some reason.

It did happen with Fraisor.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:23 PM)
It did happen with Fraisor.

A team that already liked him and was willing to take him back at a higher price. Something tells me the Castros will not be offering a similar caliber deal for their former player.

He also was a more valuable player than Viciedo was for us last year.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 10:14 PM)
I think you're way off-base here. Someone will take Viciedo off our hands for an insignificant prospect, because right-handed power is at a huge premium right now. I get he's been horrible for us the past couple years, but he's still young and has some very attractive tools. Right or wrong, it's really not that crazy to think another organization believes there is some chance they can fix him and turn him into an above-average hitter.

In the meantime, he serves as OF depth until we acquire something better. Hahn isn't stupid, he wouldn't tender Viciedo a contact if he was unmovable. He's obviously talked to other GMs and determined there is some market for his services. I'm fairly certain that Hahn doesn't want Dayan as a starting OF unless all other plans fail to work out. IMO, the odds of Viciedo being on Opening Day roster are incredibly low.

actually no, it's not.

It's left handed power that is at a premium. From that perspective, LaRoche is worth more than perhaps he got.

Viciedo is a dime a dozen .5 WAR player that could turn into a 2 WAR player and is getting paid like a 1 WAR player. The sort of guy that you have a hard time trading on OOTP 15. At best, someone will give PTBNL or will claim him on waivers in May.

The Sox made the right bet IMO, but if he's the starting LF in April something went wrong. A platoon or a 5th OF role (assuming they have the IF versatility) would be OK, but not ideal either.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 12:52 AM)
actually no, it's not.

It's left handed power that is at a premium. From that perspective, LaRoche is worth more than perhaps he got.

Viciedo is a dime a dozen .5 WAR player that could turn into a 2 WAR player and is getting paid like a 1 WAR player. The sort of guy that you have a hard time trading on OOTP 15. At best, someone will give PTBNL or will claim him on waivers in May.

The Sox made the right bet IMO, but if he's the starting LF in April something went wrong. A platoon or a 5th OF role (assuming they have the IF versatility) would be OK, but not ideal either.

Did you read the article you linked to? Did you read the title?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 11:23 PM)
If Viciedo was going to be moved it should have happened by now. They did exactly the same thing with De Aza last year, people kept saying "Oh they'll trade him in January, oh they'll trade him in ST, he's a solid player and he doesn't fit where we are, oh they'll trade him at the end of ST" and then wham.

No one wants a $4 million trash bill except us for some reason.

De Aza is a legitimate starting left fielder. Viciedo got pushed into action by Garcia's injury.

You sound like you're upset by Viciedo getting a contract, but you can't actually think they are going to have Viciedo as the starting left-fielder do you?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 08:52 PM)
actually no, it's not.

Keeping Viciedo was a lousy idea if we intend to contend. If we intend to be another year away, then keeping Dayan and hoping he breaks out, isn't an awful. It is only awful if you think he can be a starter on a contending team (without significant upgrades in other areas). My presumption is they figure they can get him enough at bats in a 4th outfielder / spell Laroche against lefties.

My issue is Viciedo doesn't exactly have a track record of raking lefties.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Dec 3, 2014 -> 09:30 PM)
De Aza is a legitimate starting left fielder. Viciedo got pushed into action by Garcia's injury.

You sound like you're upset by Viciedo getting a contract, but you can't actually think they are going to have Viciedo as the starting left-fielder do you?

Agreed...I can't compare Dayan and De Aza. De Aza is a solid player and a legitimate starter. Dayan isn't.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 01:18 AM)
Between FA and trades, there are better outfield options available so its probably going to be a bit before Viciedo will be traded. For some crazy reason I do think a team will offer the Sox something and the Sox take it. Just a guess.

Viciedo might be more in a trade if he is signed for the year.

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Dec 4, 2014 -> 02:06 AM)
Viciedo might be more in a trade if he is signed for the year.

Depending on what he is signed for, yes. 20+ HR power has to be worth something. Thing is, Melky, Victorino, Nava, Crawford, Ethier, Kemp, Snider, Lambo, Reddick and some others are all better options and available if the rumors are true.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 07:35 PM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/12/mari...ky-cabrera.html

Mariners going after Melky. I would really like to see him in a Sox uniform.

Me too but only willing to go so far. I'm not a fan of going five years with Melky. If another team wants to give him five years then I wish him well with his new team.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 5, 2014 -> 08:29 PM)
i am really mixed on the sox signing Melky. part of me, yeah, his stats does look

good, will look even better batting #2 in the sox lineup.

the other part, how many yrs, and salary.

5 years 65 million I go with him

I like the idea of Melky in a vacuum, but to pay free agent price for a good-not-great LF seems (at this point) like a poor use of limited resources, because the team is still so short on pitching and still so mediocre in other positions. It seems like if we're going to spend that much cash, we need to get a major upgrade, or, alternatively, we need to make a Melky-sized upgrade without spending that much cash.