Sox sign Melky Cabrera

GGajewski18

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:35 AM)
He's not talking about TOR he's talking about OAK including him with Samardjiza. Trade was happening at about same time.

Yes, and it still may not have been possible. Beane may think the Toronto guys are awesome and the package I am proposing is awful. In any event, the team is much better now than it was the day the season ended.

• Replies 770
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta build interest in the team and create some excitement around here. This is a nice step towards that. Look at the attendance figures during Konerko's era. The fanbase can be jumpstarted.

Right or wrong, people around here got really down on guys like Dunn and Rios. In the case of Rios I think it was more the image he put out there than production (as he had some really good stretches with us).

Maybe the new guys become a repeat of that, but you have to try and hope this bunch becomes an era the fanbase rallies around. Seems like so long ago when this team had a core group that the fans invented reasons to find lovable. Hell AJ was lovable here.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:30 AM)
You'd probably have a majority willing to give up Anderson, Montas and Hawkins for Josh Donaldson at this point.

Seems like the plan of action from the beginning was to pull all his moves off without losing any key future pieces.

Still a bit in disbelief. Not a huge Cabrera fan but it's almost impossible not to feel positive about the overall direction of the franchise compared to a year ago.

Robin Ventura. Your turn.

LOL

Sox fill major holes with above average players by giving up ZERO top prospects (and very few prospects at all), and now we want to pay Tor 3x what they paid in order to shore up a weakness? Yikes

Castro was dreadful at the plate last year.

That's the thing. This is not an all or nothing set-up we have for 2015. No top pitching prospects for Nick Swisher or Edwin Jackson involved. Farm retained. Room for growth. Even the Melky deal is only 3 years.

Everything's good.

Let's keep it that way.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:46 PM)
Gotta build interest in the team and create some excitement around here. This is a nice step towards that. Look at the attendance figures during Konerko's era. The fanbase can be jumpstarted.

Right or wrong, people around here got really down on guys like Dunn and Rios. In the case of Rios I think it was more the image he put out there than production (as he had some really good stretches with us).

Maybe the new guys become a repeat of that, but you have to try and hope this bunch becomes an era the fanbase rallies around. Seems like so long ago when this team had a core group that the fans invented reasons to find lovable. Hell AJ was lovable here.

i like this, nice read. way to go.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
Yes, and it still may not have been possible. Beane may think the Toronto guys are awesome and the package I am proposing is awful. In any event, the team is much better now than it was the day the season ended.

the issue is most teams didn't even know he was available. I'm sure if they knew he was then alot of team would have been after him

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:46 AM)

Having marketable young starts will help drive interest.

Winning games should do the rest.

Brooks Boyer has his work cut out for him this year. Media blitz, hammer home Sale/Abreu, market Eaton as the guy Swish was supposed to be, and come up with a better sales pitch than "All In".

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 09:47 AM)
LOL

Sox fill major holes with above average players by giving up ZERO top prospects (and very few prospects at all), and now we want to pay Tor 3x what they paid in order to shore up a weakness? Yikes

Castro was dreadful at the plate last year.

That's the thing. This is not an all or nothing set-up we have for 2015. No top pitching prospects for Nick Swisher or Edwin Jackson involved. Farm retained. Room for growth. Even the Melky deal is only 3 years.

Everything's good.

Let's keep it that way.

normally, I disagree with just about everything you type. However, you are correct here. These appease almost everyone. The Sox made the team competitive without giving up the precious suspects that most people on the board covet. Even if the don't make the playoffs, they will have a competitive team until the young players are supposed to arrive. The only part of the team that is not set for awhile is the starting pitching. If JS leaves after just one year the Sox will need another starter. Even if Rodon is ready in 2016, they will need one more back of the rotation starter. The team as a whole is fairly young.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:34 PM)
normally, I disagree with just about everything you type. However, you are correct here. These appease almost everyone. The Sox made the team competitive without giving up the precious suspects that most people on the board covet. Even if the don't make the playoffs, they will have a competitive team until the young players are supposed to arrive. The only part of the team that is not set for awhile is the starting pitching. If JS leaves after just one year the Sox will need another starter. Even if Rodon is ready in 2016, they will need one more back of the rotation starter. The team as a whole is fairly young.

One of the best moves that could happen imo is EJ miraculously finds his form. Would provide huge insurance and talent to the the rotation.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 05:27 PM)
So what kind of defender is Melky?

-3.5 UZR and -4 DRS in LF this year. Career -3.9 UZR/150 in LF, so below average but not terrible. Much worse in CF, so hopefully Adam stays healthy and Melky in CF never needs to be an option.

As always, I look forward to going to spring training but this upcoming spring training is going to be even that much more special. So many new faces I am excited to see in a sox uniform and also to see how the other pieces are developing in Eaton and the Garcia's. I am so pumped.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 10:36 AM)
One of the best moves that could happen imo is EJ miraculously finds his form. Would provide huge insurance and talent to the the rotation.

It would solve alot of things. He'll needs to do it in AAA as Noesi and Danks have the 4 and 5 spots. It's probably the best for him anyway.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 04:38 PM)
-3.5 UZR and -4 DRS in LF this year. Career -3.9 UZR/150 in LF, so below average but not terrible. Much worse in CF, so hopefully Adam stays healthy and Melky in CF never needs to be an option.

Sigh, was really hoping he'd rate out as average.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 14, 2014 -> 12:47 PM)
Sigh, was really hoping he'd rate out as average.

He's a former CF that will now be playing in the very narrow LF of US Cellular. He's fairly athletic and is only 30. He's going to seem like prime Andruw Jones compared to Tank. He's not a great defender, but he's going to save 5-10 runs just by not being Dayan Viciedo.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Avisail in RF is not sitting well with me. But you can't have it all and there is the hope he'll improve. It's weird to realize now that...........being win-now.....we suddenly have less patience for Avi coming along than we once did. Were the core of the lineup bashing, I'd want RF locked down defensively. Mid-year.

Be it Avi or a glove-first replacement for him