White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2h2 hours ago

Hahn: 'We're not by any means satisfied with where we're at. We're not anywhere near complete in our minds. We'll continue to be aggressive"

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 2h2 hours ago

Hahn: "We want to hit off more things on our target list. We're not anywhere complete in our mind"

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 03:06 PM)
Ideally, Laroche would be hitting 7th and Abreu 4th. We need a couple of more hitters for that (like a 2 and a 3 hitter).

"Ideally" ain't going to happen, I think. There will likely be one more regular bat acquired, not 2 or 3, imo. The 2nd could be a catching upgrade for Flowers, I suppose. They're really counting on the development of, Avi, which may be the key the whole season.

Like you, hoping that the offense gets another nice addition soon, but only expecting one, and hoping it's a lefty/switch OF. Resources still needed elsewhere.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 04:22 PM)
"Ideally" ain't going to happen, I think. There will likely be one more regular bat acquired, not 2 or 3, imo. The 2nd could be a catching upgrade for Flowers, I suppose. They're really counting on the development of, Avi, which may be the key the whole season.

Like you, hoping that the offense gets another nice addition soon, but only expecting one, and hoping it's a lefty/switch OF. Resources still needed elsewhere.

I agree with you that ideally isn't going to happen, which (along with the continued lackluster team defense and rotation holes) is why I don't see the Sox as serious contenders next year and, thus, want to trade Alexei for young players. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more platooning of the guys won can't hit lefties.

And Laroche doesn't really frame as a cleanup hitter to me.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 04:06 PM)
Ideally, Laroche would be hitting 7th and Abreu 4th. We need a couple of more hitters for that (like a 2 and a 3 hitter).

The only thing I think is ideal would be Abreu hitting 4th. I'd have no problem with LaRoche hitting 3rd or 5th, but really, that's a very minute matter. Getting a lineup such that LaRoche is hitting 7th would require the Sox to bring in 2-3 other absolute studs, which is completely unrealistic.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 04:35 PM)
I agree with you that ideally isn't going to happen, which (along with the continued lackluster team defense and rotation holes) is why I don't see the Sox as serious contenders next year and, thus, want to trade Alexei for young players. In the meantime, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more platooning of the guys won can't hit lefties.

LaRoche seems like a perfectly sensible cleanup hitter to me. Abreu would be more ideal but LaRoche is definitely the 2nd best choice on the team, and Ventura prefers Abreu hitting 3rd.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 04:49 PM)
LaRoche seems like a perfectly sensible cleanup hitter to me. Abreu would be more ideal but LaRoche is definitely the 2nd best choice on the team, and Ventura prefers Abreu hitting 3rd.

Yes he does; don't know why, other than there is no 3 hitter on the team.

LaRoche is bad against lefties....not great for a 4 hole hitter. We've had to deal with that from Dunn for years (although we expect Laroche to hit a lot better than Dunn).

LaRoche hit 4th for the Nationals for much of last year. If we spend the money to sign Melky, we then have a very impressive lineup with :

Eaton - L

Melky - S

Abreu - R

LaRoche - L

A Garcia - R

Gillespie - L

Ramirez - R

Flowers - R

Sanchez - S

Idealy we figure out how to trade for Dioner Navarro and platoon Flowers and Navarro. We also move that lineup around when we face a lefty, getting Semien in there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 10:49 PM)
The only thing I think is ideal would be Abreu hitting 4th. I'd have no problem with LaRoche hitting 3rd or 5th, but really, that's a very minute matter. Getting a lineup such that LaRoche is hitting 7th would require the Sox to bring in 2-3 other absolute studs, which is completely unrealistic.

interesting thought, if and I mean if the sox has a very good #2 hitter, I can see Adam being

#3 and Jose as #4. you will max the power potential in Jose and the hitting skill of Adam.

I like it.

interesting thought, if and I mean if the sox has a very good #2 hitter, I can see Adam being

#3 and Jose as #4. you will max the power potential in Jose and the hitting skill of Adam.

I like it.

You can't have a talent like Jose batting 4th. Every spot lower in the order gets you fewer plate appearances per season.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 10:20 PM)
Daryl Van Schouwen ‏@CST_soxvan 2h2 hours ago

Hahn: 'We're not by any means satisfied with where we're at. We're not anywhere near complete in our minds. We'll continue to be aggressive"

Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 2h2 hours ago

Hahn: "We want to hit off more things on our target list. We're not anywhere complete in our mind"

aggressive how??? via trade, if not Alexei then who.

btw, I am really happy that Robin Is quoted as saying Alexei is going no where.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 06:48 PM)
You can't have a talent like Jose batting 4th. Every spot lower in the order gets you fewer plate appearances per season.

There's a TON of evidence that the 4th batter receives more RBI opportunities than the 3rd batter. I wish I could link to it but it's not available online, as it is sold in Tom Tango's "The Book," which I highly recommend. In fact, the same study shows that the 2nd batter often gets more than the 3rd batter.

Also, for reference, each spot in the lineup receives an average of 18 fewer plate appearances than the one before it, over the course of a full season.

There's a TON of evidence that the 4th batter receives more RBI opportunities than the 3rd batter. I wish I could link to it but it's not available online, as it is sold in Tom Tango's "The Book," which I highly recommend. In fact, the same study shows that the 2nd batter often gets more than the 3rd batter.

Also, for reference, each spot in the lineup receives an average of 18 fewer plate appearances than the one before it, over the course of a full season.

Fine, then bat Jose second. 18 (or 36) plate appearances is nothing to sneeze at.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:35 PM)

I don't get it. Do people forget that LaRoche hit in the middle of the order for a playoff team last season? I very much think we can make the playoffs with LaRoche in the middle of our lineup. I think we have to fix other things and Hahn seems to know that and be aggressively working on making other moves to bolster our squad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 12:06 AM)
I don't get it. Do people forget that LaRoche hit in the middle of the order for a playoff team last season? I very much think we can make the playoffs with LaRoche in the middle of our lineup. I think we have to fix other things and Hahn seems to know that and be aggressively working on making other moves to bolster our squad.

I sure hate to sound like a broken freaking record. but get an A+ pitcher via

free agent.

get a outfielder via free agent.

then wait to see how the int"l players and draft plays out.

note, Jose Fernadez (sp) has still not come out of where he is.

LaRoche hit 4th for the Nationals for much of last year. If we spend the money to sign Melky, we then have a very impressive lineup with :

Eaton - L

Melky - S

Abreu - R

LaRoche - L

A Garcia - R

Gillespie - L

Ramirez - R

Flowers - R

Sanchez - S

Idealy we figure out how to trade for Dioner Navarro and platoon Flowers and Navarro. We also move that lineup around when we face a lefty, getting Semien in there.

I'll play along:

Eaton - L

Semien - R

Cabrera - S

Abreu - R

LaRoche - L

A Garcia - R

Gillespie - L

Ramirez - R

Flowers - R

Semien moves from 2B to 3B when we face a lefty, with Sanchez coming off of the bench.

There is absolutely no way to justify Sanchez playing everyday at this point. He doesn't do anything well. But then again, neither does Gillespie...

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 03:47 PM)
I'll play along:

Eaton - L

Semien - R

Cabrera - S

Abreu - R

LaRoche - L

A Garcia - R

Gillespie - L

Ramirez - R

Flowers - R

Semien moves from 2B to 3B when we face a lefty, with Sanchez coming off of the bench.

There is absolutely no way to justify Sanchez playing everyday at this point. He doesn't do anything well. But then again, neither does Gillespie...

This is patently false. Conor Gillaspie's .352 wOBA was 43rd best in the majors and his 124 wRC+ was tied for 44th. He was a very good hitter against RHP this past season. Anybody saying Gillaspie doesn't do anything well really needs to dig a little deeper.

This is patently false. Conor Gillaspie's .352 wOBA was 43rd best in the majors and his 124 wRC+ was tied for 44th. He was a very good hitter against RHP this past season. Anybody saying Gillaspie doesn't do anything well really needs to dig a little deeper.

I was looking at his overall numbers, not his splits against righties.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 10:21 PM)

then again why do you move Semiem in when facing a lefty??

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 09:47 PM)

There is absolutely no way to justify Sanchez playing everyday at this point. He doesn't do anything well.

But then again, neither does Gillespie...

you have to take into acct the splits.

If you watched Gillaspie hang out line drives, all over the park, especially when facing RHP, I don't see how you could conclude anything but that he was one of the best

hitters on the club. I think those 60 some at bats that he had in the clean up spot, after Dunn was traded, really brought his numbers down. He had no business hitting there,

and perhaps he was trying to do too much, with that kind of responsibility. He's not a power hitter, and had no business being asked to bat in that slot.

My only concern with him is how lost he seems vs. lefties. Hopefully, he will improve in that circumstance. If he doesn't, unfortunately, he is a platoon candidate.

His defense is an entirely different matter, and he definitely has lots of room for improvement there.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 04:21 PM)

Well it's because he's absolutely horrendous against lefties and a wrecking ball against righties. He's not anything special defensively either, but he's absolutely a valuable player for the Sox moving forward.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 10:35 PM)
If you watched Gillaspie hang out line drives, all over the park, especially when facing RHP, I don't see how you could conclude anything but that he was one of the best

hitters on the club. I think those 60 some at bats that he had in the clean up spot, after Dunn was traded, really brought his numbers down. He had no business hitting there,

and perhaps he was trying to do too much, with that kind of responsibility. He's not a power hitter, and had no business being asked to bat in that slot.

My only concern with him is how lost he seems vs. lefties. Hopefully, he will improve in that circumstance. If he doesn't, unfortunately, he is a platoon candidate.

His defense is an entirely different matter, and he definitely has lots of room for improvement there.

toward the end, I believe he just got tired. there is nothing wrong at that. he needs to build

up his endurance. also I was trying to get acquainted with the advance stats, I saw he was

horrible against lefties.