White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 08:41 PM)
pls excuse this, but i was out of it for several yrs due to illness.

can you explain this. was jeff use to trade for conor??

Yes indeed. Have a look at what he's been up to. He's been struggling I guess you could say...

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...id=soptic001jef

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 06:44 PM)
toward the end, I believe he just got tired. there is nothing wrong at that. he needs to build

up his endurance. also I was trying to get acquainted with the advance stats, I saw he was

horrible against lefties.

I def think he got tired. It happens to a lot of guys. Conor is a nice option at 3B against RHP and he's cheap so unless he goes out in a trade that brings back more than a 2 WAR short stop or 3B that's also cheap doesn't make any sense to move him and or not play him.

3B is like 6th or 7th on the list of needs imo. I'd rank pen, starting, lf, 2b, and c ahead.

Conor needs a platoon partner that man is Semian.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
I def think he got tired. It happens to a lot of guys. Conor is a nice option at 3B against RHP and he's cheap so unless he goes out in a trade that brings back more than a 2 WAR short stop or 3B that's also cheap doesn't make any sense to move him and or not play him.

3B is like 6th or 7th on the list of needs imo. I'd rank pen, starting, lf, 2b, and c ahead.

I hope they bigger things planned for Semien than being the weak half of a 3B platoon. Give that role to Saladino.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:06 PM)
I hope they bigger things planned for Semien than being the weak half of a 3B platoon. Give that role to Saladino.

Saladino isn't as good of a hitter but seems to have a much better ability to play SS.

I like Semien shifting between 3b, DH, 2b, and a couple other spots next year, but we'll see.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 10:58 PM)
Saladino isn't as good of a hitter but seems to have a much better ability to play SS.

I like Semien shifting between 3b, DH, 2b, and a couple other spots next year, but we'll see.

I like Semien being the starting 2B. Who do prefer over him in that role?

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 26, 2014 -> 11:25 PM)
I like Semien being the starting 2B. Who do prefer over him in that role?

Sanchez is a better fielder but won't hit as well and Micah has the most overall upside but there are questions about his arm/defense and ability to stay healthy and translate his minor league stolen base figures from 2013 to the major league level.

It's one thing if he can steal 50-75 bags. It's quite another if it's only 15-25 like a Rios or Ramirez. As speed is his only "plus" tool, that falloff in stolen bases would have to be made up for with XB hits and a high average/walk rate.

Nobody's sure how he would hit at the next level. Somewhere between Billy Hamilton and Marcus Semien is the best guess.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 27, 2014 -> 04:03 AM)

a good and rational post. good facts.

• 8 months later...

Just so everyone can see what they said. I'm content with my assessment :

Rather have seen the 4 rotating OF's to give Eaton more rest and keep Avi out of the OF more often but as long as he doesn't turn into Dunn 2.0 I'm good with them filling another need. I said earlier that I didn't trust Ventuna to sit LaRoche against LH pitching but he'll pretty much have to considering his age and badness against lefties.

BTW La Roche means " the rock " in french .

Bienvenue LaRoche smile.gif

Also reminder to Hi8is . Dude you lost your bet with Andy the Clown.

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:29 AM)
@BNightengale: The Chicago #WhiteSox just signed 1B Adam LaRoche to a 2 year, $25 million contract.

@BNightengale: LaRoche and Abreu will be formidable punch for #whitesox in middle of lineup

The dynamic duo... in 2016!

I f***ed up, allowed myself to come around to the signing based on his defense at 1B and that he would basically platoon because hey the Sox looked at the back of his baseball card for 2014 and saw how he fell off a cliff verse LHP.

But, none of that happened and once again we are looking at an aging, bad fit at DH that is roughly replacement level. Time is a flat circle.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 10:59 AM)
I f***ed up, allowed myself to come around to the signing based on his defense at 1B and that he would basically platoon because hey the Sox looked at the back of his baseball card for 2014 and saw how he fell off a cliff verse LHP.

But, none of that happened and once again we are looking at an aging, bad fit at DH that is roughly replacement level. Time is a flat circle.

He needs to be playing 1B more (if he is in the lineup). Abreu is just awful their defensively. When you see him in person, it is even more noticeable how poor he is their. I realize 1B d isn't critical, but man, he's bad...real bad. That said, his metrics at least indicate a favorable pick-up from a year ago and LaRoche's aren't that good this year (although my eyes tell me LaRoche is better).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 01:05 PM)
He needs to be playing 1B more (if he is in the lineup). Abreu is just awful their defensively. When you see him in person, it is even more noticeable how poor he is their. I realize 1B d isn't critical, but man, he's bad...real bad. That said, his metrics at least indicate a favorable pick-up from a year ago and LaRoche's aren't that good this year (although my eyes tell me LaRoche is better).

I agree 100%. He's been bad but they aren't using his skills right. He should have been playing 1B almost every single night against RHP. That never happened and they also exposed him early in the season to LHP and continued it through July, which is insane.

Jose is just slow footed. He's got solid instincts but also hands of stone. Overall he's poor.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Nov 21, 2014 -> 10:04 PM)
LHRP

LH DH

LH OF

RHSP

RP

RP

I think these are the remaining moves we make, possibly a few more cheap ones. The OF doesn't necessarily need to be left handed anymore. That could make him easier to find. (Another infielder or a catcher are also possible but unlikely moves at this point, unless they come via a Ramirez trade.)

Hey, I was spot on with this (Melky, Samardzija, Robertson, Jennings), and I'm usually way off on these predictions.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 21, 2015 -> 06:21 PM)
I'm not panicked about this signing for the same reason I didn't panic initially -- It's a two year deal and while it's for significant money, it's not for crippling money. LaRoche has been bad, but it's gonna be alright.

We kept Dunn and we will keep Laroche. I agree that he should have played 1B more and Abreu DH more. It seems that Jose has some ankle and foot issues. He has done a passable job on defense but Laroche was a gold glover. I do not think he is finished yet and hopefully 2016 will be better

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:40 AM)
Perfect.

Hmmm. Not so perfect.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:49 AM)
At this point, the Sox have two guys who will need to be platooned. Both Gillaspie and LaRoche should not face LHP.

Lillian spot on.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 03:01 AM)
Laroche is clearly a "good" left handed bat, saying otherwise is just silly.

And we still have a lot of money to play with, Rick knows what he's doing.

Oops he's not a good lefthanded bat anymore.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 05:00 AM)
In pouring over his stats, I see LaRoche has had a couple off years amid pretty good years. Hoping he doesn't get hit by the White Sox free agent jinx and have that off year.

I would say as of right now, I approve of the deal, though as a caveat there is a chance he's at the age he could simply start sucking. I'm not saying he will, but he's 35. Like I've said in other threads, I hope our scouts thorougly discussed his pros and cons and how he PROJECTS from this point forward, rather than just looking at his past performance. I pray they did that.

p.s. I will say he's known as a good fielder, so I'd say make Abreu the DH. Maybe it'll piss off Abreu, but if LaRoche is a gold glover type first baseman and he's being paid 12.5 million, have the best man play first base.

He did simply start sucking at his age. And our scouts failed again in projecting.