White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 06:46 PM)
I thought you were Levine.

And I thought you were young...

Anyway. If I remember right LaRoche was supposed to take his physical today so the Sox could be waiting until after the physical to make the official announcement. There is probably no big rush to make the announcement since its already known that LaRoche has agreed to sign anyway.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
And I thought you were young...

Anyway. If I remember right LaRoche was supposed to take his physical today so the Sox could be waiting until after the physical to make the official announcement. There is probably no big rush to make the announcement since its already known that LaRoche has agreed to sign anyway.

One possibility is that they are waiting to see if they can work something to open a roster spot.

QUOTE (Al Lopez's Ghost @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 02:21 PM)
If someone reads the site and presents what the site says as their own ideas/scoops, it's somewhere between dishonest and plagiarism, with a side order of fraud. That's why it's a biggie.

Have you noticed MLBTR often cites the person who first reported/tweeted a deal/trade? The concept of getting some kind of credit for releasing news before a club announces something is insane to me. Or predicting news and wanting people to bask in the glow of greatness, like people should hold the person in some esteem for this magnificent prognostication. Nobody gives a hoot.

It's just sad that grown men require such attention to feel like men. It's just a big version of little kids saying "See, I told ya so!"

Rant over. Get back to work reporting news when it happens.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:17 PM)
Have you noticed MLBTR often cites the person who first reported/tweeted a deal/trade? The concept of getting some kind of credit for releasing news before a club announces something is insane to me. Or predicting news and wanting people to bask in the glow of greatness, like people should hold the person in some esteem for this magnificent prognostication. Nobody gives a hoot.

It's just sad that grown men require such attention to feel like men. It's just a big version of little kids saying "See, I told ya so!"

There's a whole line item list about items that Tim Dierkes or whatever his name is "broke." Whether that helps make his site more profitable is another question altogether. Is that a selling point with advertisers or potential investors? Maybe. Actually sorting out who really broke a story, who was incorrect or jumped the gun and who's the most consistently reliable/accurate are different matters altogether.

Like that Korean SS's posting. One writer breaks it's the Twins. The next, one, the Rangers. Then it turns out the posting hasn't been accepted by the Korean team as of yet. Lots of misinformation/rush to conclusions in the race to be first.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 04:00 PM)
One possibility is that they are waiting to see if they can work something to open a roster spot.

Good point, I forgot the Sox are at 40 right now.

I would imagine Hahn is working the phones trying to work something out for Tank.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)
There's a whole line item list about items that Tim Dierkes or whatever his name is "broke." Whether that helps make his site more profitable is another question altogether. Is that a selling point with advertisers or potential investors? Maybe. Actually sorting out who really broke a story, who was incorrect or jumped the gun and who's the most consistently reliable/accurate are different matters altogether.

Like that Korean SS's posting. One writer breaks it's the Twins. The next, one, the Rangers. Then it turns out the posting hasn't been accepted by the Korean team as of yet. Lots of misinformation/rush to conclusions in the race to be first.

That's a bad Korean LHP not the SS mentioned on the site.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:17 AM)

its like that movie 61. the 2 major sports writers have their sources. then the squiggling

one decide to be controversial and make up crap.

well that is how I see it. problem is I really didn't believe it when I heard it from the posters,

then I started to see it.

weak, reporters if they need to get new stories to rpt from a fan site.

all well who cares.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:17 AM)

I just had some closing thoughts on this.

any thoughts, any mention of the sox in a positive light is great PR. if this, if it is

remotely true, spins the sox in a positive light. I can see how these articles can

continue to put the sox in the national spot light, then it is fine with me. I also

can see how this may even show to not only to the diehard fans, but it may even

attract new fans.

I made a mention of how I was seeing more articles of the sox at the beginning of the

offseason, well I hope it continues and I will not complain or joke how these reporters

get their ideas. as long as they continue to talk about the Sox, the Chi White Sox.

You need to find a mix. You don't want your business out there so much it actually hurts your chances of getting something done, but as was posted above, each time the team is mentioned with these players, it is free pub. Keeping your fanbase engaged IMO, is very important. Especially White Sox fans who can spend their winter switching to the Bulls and Blackhawks, and might not become fully engaged to the baseball team until the season is halfway over, and that is even if certain criteria have been met.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 02:47 PM)
CSNHayes·11 mins11 minutes ago

Robin Ventura said he sees Adam LaRoche as the No. 4 hitter bewteen Abreu and A. Garcia. Likes that move allows Gillaspie to drop to 6th.

A lot of information right there, so we are looking at:

Eaton

?

Abreu

LaRoche

Avi

Gillaspie

?

?

?

QUOTE (Dunt @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 04:13 PM)
A lot of information right there, so we are looking at:

Eaton

?

Abreu

LaRoche

Avi

Gillaspie

?

?

?

To me, this only makes sense if you have a switch-hitting 2 batter, or you believe more in the concept of lineup protection than you believe in the ability of specialized high-leverage relievers to mow down guys when they have the platoon advantage.

Since Eaton is lefty and "locked" in at leadoff, it sets the tone of the lineup to require a lefty in the three hole:

L Eaton

R ????

L LaRoche

R Abreu

L Gillaspie

R Garcia

? ????

? ????

? ????

Now, if you get Melky for the two hole, or if Semien hits well enough to stay there, you can "reset" the pattern of handedness and put Abreu at three while still forcing the other team to burn a bunch of relievers or throw against the platoon advantage later. This is ideal if you think it's important for LaRoche to "protect" Abreu:

L Eaton

S Melky/Semien

R Abreu

L Laroche

R Garcia

L Gillaspie

? ????

? ????

? ????

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Nov 25, 2014 -> 03:58 PM)
Now, if you get Melky for the two hole, or if Semien hits well enough to stay there, you can "reset" the pattern of handedness and put Abreu at three while still forcing the other team to burn a bunch of relievers or throw against the platoon advantage later. This is ideal if you think it's important for LaRoche to "protect" Abreu:

L Eaton

S Melky/Semien

R Abreu

L Laroche

R Garcia

L Gillaspie

? ????

? ????

? ????

That lineup just makes too much sense to me. Sign Melky and go:

L Eaton

S Melky