White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:52 AM)
Well there was a rumor out there that the Marlins offered 2/$20M, so I think you're pretty wrong here. One way or the other LaRoche was getting a 2 year deal in the mid $20Ms. If anything, the AAV of this deal is a bit less than I was expecting.

Rumors are just that. Was that prior to giving Stanton 3 billion dollars? Plus that's just one team so it's not like there was a huge demand for him, if they wanted to sign him, I would have let them. To me, LaRoche is the final piece on a contending team, a guy that can come off the bench in a pinch a hopefully be productive. I don't think he's a guy you count on as a main weapon. At least not on a good team at his age.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting side effect of this deal is the impact it has on our bench. Between LaRoche & Gillaspie, we're going to need two RH reserves that can platoon with them. One guy obviously has to be an IF, the other preferably an OF. That only leaves us with one other reserve for the IF/OF if you're assuming a four man bench.

It will be interesting to see how those spots shake out, especially if they don't keep Tank.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:52 PM)
Well there was a rumor out there that the Marlins offered 2/$20M, so I think you're pretty wrong here. One way or the other LaRoche was getting a 2 year deal in the mid $20Ms. If anything, the AAV of this deal is a bit less than I was expecting.

plus filling in the holes in early, like this the sox could concentrate on other pressing

issues.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 12:44 PM)
I'm pretty meh about this signing. Laroche can't hit lefties very well. His career average is about 30 points lower than righties. Also for most of his career he had definitely been a second half player minus last year. He tore it up up until July. Then was terrible for 2 months saving himself with a decent month in September. We still have to find another guy who can hit RHP to platoon DH with him. But hopefully he brings some leadership now that Dunn and Paulie are gone.

i think the leadership question may have been answered internally, but it never hurts

to get more.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:18 AM)
Rumors are just that. Was that prior to giving Stanton 3 billion dollars? Plus that's just one team so it's not like there was a huge demand for him, if they wanted to sign him, I would have let them. To me, LaRoche is the final piece on a contending team, a guy that can come off the bench in a pinch a hopefully be productive. I don't think he's a guy you count on as a main weapon. At least not on a good team at his age.

The problem here is that you clearly haven't accepted we're in a very suppressed offensive environment. Based on both advanced metrics (wRC+) and more traditional ones (OPS), LaRoche was a top 30 to 35 hitter in all of baseball last year. That doesn't mean he will be that productive going forward, and his age is obviously a concern, but has been a much better player than you're alluding to and has a solid chance of being a very valuable member of our lineup.

Also, LaRoche will never be our main weapon as long as Abreu is on the team. And I still think Hahn will another impact hitter for the OF. In reality, I think LaRoche will ending up being our third most dangerous power bat. That would be a significant upgrade vs. last year.

Oh so the Sox are done for the offseason? News to me.

And they got Adam under market value for a short term which fills a need. No reason to not like the deal.

He batted clean up on a team that won 96 games in 2014. The Nationals wouldn't have let him go, but Zimmerman, because of his injuries, can't play third anymore and is moving to first.

The White Sox had to get someone who legitimately could hit 4th. IMO, Abreu is goimg to see a spike in free passes next year. If they couldn't get a legit cleanup hitter, it would only have been higher. I know, walks are good, but limiting Abreu's opportunities to do damage is not.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 01:50 PM)
He batted clean up on a team that won 96 games in 2014. The Nationals wouldn't have let him go, but Zimmerman, because of his injuries, can't play third anymore and is moving to first.

all true which in of itself started a domino effect. LaRoche is gone and now is a

sox.

a 2 yr contract>>> great

production >>>>> great

can help the team>> great

age >>>>> bad

the gamble is still worth it.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 07:50 AM)

The White Sox had to get someone who legitimatelylegitimately could hit 4th. IMO, Abreu is goimg to see a spike in free passes next year. If they couldn't get a legit cleanup hitter, it would only have been higher. I know, walks are good, but limiting Abreu's opportunities to do damage is not.

You're right. And they didn't.

I don't see too many positives with this deal. I would've reached higher and farther. It's weird so many people here like the deal, but they didn't like Dunn.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:06 PM)

I don't see too many positives with this deal. I would've reached higher and farther. It's weird so many people here like the deal, but they didn't like Dunn.

they look at the deal, esp in this market this yr, this was the best to fill a hole without

going the trade rt.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:06 AM)

LaRoche was way better than Dunn last year and can actually play some 1B.

And other than being left-handed first basemen with significant platoon splits, I'm not sure they're that similar. LaRoche is more than just a three outcome hitter against RHP. These Dunn to LaRoche comparisons are just lazy.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

I'm pretty certain that Hahn could have gotten Ethier instead of LaRoche. He made his choice. We'll see who has the better year. Ethier probably hits better, not as much power, plays outfield, first base, DH, more speed, younger, makes Viciedo expendable, extra year, loss of a prospect, better looking. I'd have taken Ethier by a nose.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:25 AM)
I'm pretty certain that Hahn could have gotten Ethier instead of LaRoche. He made his choice. We'll see who has the better year. Ethier probably hits better, not as much power, plays outfield, first base, DH, more speed, younger, makes Viciedo expendable, extra year, loss of a prospect, better looking. I'd have taken Ethier by a nose.

except LaRoche costs alot less for less time and didn't need to include an All Star shortstop

I didn't really see it coming, but it's true, it almost makes too much sense to sign LaRoche.

The Pros:

-No draft pick compensation

-Didn't have to trade a prospect or Alexei Ramirez for him

-2 year contract

-Lefty

-Power bat

-Doesn't strike out a ton

-Good defense at 1st base.

-Great teammate

-Can become one of a teams "leaders"

The Cons:

-Getting up there in age, potential for a dropoff?

-Can't hit lefties well

Feel free to add more to my list, but I'm certain Sox brass did something like this as well and came to the conclusion that it just makes too much sense. He's not going to push our club over the top, but he is a GREAT complementary piece to a winning ballclub. More little moves like this, and one or two big ones and we're looking at an offseason reminiscent of that after the 2004 season.

Edited by South Sider

And let me point out to everyone, LaRoche was 35th in wRC+ & 28th in OPS last year, despite his significant platoon splits. This guy was damn good with the bat no matter now you slice it. He's not the chump some posters are making him out to be. The guy can really hit RHP which is exactly what we need.

I'm still concerned about his age to some extent, but the more I look at this deal the more I like it.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)

I think it's a total fallacy to compare ANYONE to Dunn. Instantly falling off a cliff to become two to the standard deviations worse is an extremely unlikely outcome for anyone.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:24 PM)
LaRoche was way better than Dunn last year and can actually play some 1B.

And other than being left-handed first basemen with significant platoon splits, I'm not sure they're that similar. LaRoche is more than just a three outcome hitter against RHP. These Dunn to LaRoche comparisons are just lazy.

yeah but Dunn can pitch :bang

QUOTE (oldsox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 02:25 PM)

I wonder if that trade option with the dodgers is a close deal now.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 22, 2014 -> 08:21 AM)
An interesting side effect of this deal is the impact it has on our bench. Between LaRoche & Gillaspie, we're going to need two RH reserves that can platoon with them. One guy obviously has to be an IF, the other preferably an OF. That only leaves us with one other reserve for the IF/OF if you're assuming a four man bench.

It will be interesting to see how those spots shake out, especially if they don't keep Tank.

I've got a feeling that Marcus will see a lot of at bats in that role, swapping in for Gillaspie or LaRoche pretty often while Sanchez takes a good amount of time at 2b.