White Sox sign Adam LaRoche

Bigsoxhurt35

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 07:59 AM)
I think he was top 7 in the NL in HR, RBI and BB.

Also, LaRoche's BB % of 14.0 ranked fourth in all of baseball last year, just ahead of Adam Dunn. However, LaRoche's K % was 18.4%, while Dunn's was 31.1%. Considering they had matching ISOs, despite Dunn having a massive home field edge, LaRoche is a clear and significant upgrade IMO.

I will say I'm just somewhat disappointed in that it seemed like this would be beginning of a new team strategy for using our position players. For first time since forever, the possibility that our DH could be switched among 11/12 position players could have happened rather than just having two 1B. In all likelihood finding a LH non 1b for this would have been extremely expensive. But, just feeling a bit of "more of this then, eh?"

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 10:29 AM)
I will say I'm just somewhat disappointed in that it seemed like this would be beginning of a new team strategy for using our position players. For first time since forever, the possibility that our DH could be switched among 11/12 position players could have happened rather than just having two 1B. In all likelihood finding a LH non 1b for this would have been extremely expensive. But, just feeling a bit of "more of this then, eh?"

Read Hahn quotes. Abreu needs a lot of DH time. A first baseman was needed. I am sure they are still in the market for an OF.

LaRoche was a top 35 hitter last year. I'd much rather use him as our primary DH than rotate a bunch below average hitters there.

The rotating DH concept is nice in theory, but you really have to have the right guys in place for it to be effective.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:57 AM)
Read Hahn quotes. Abreu needs a lot of DH time. A first baseman was needed. I am sure they are still in the market for an OF.

Oh, so you now agree with me that Abreu needed a ton more rest and Robin's failure to do that was a silly mistake?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:29 AM)

It's worth adding that LaRoche has some pretty major platoon splits, so it could be entirely possible that someone like Semien will see some extra playing time at DH when there is a left handed starter on the mound (also depending on what happens to the corner OF slot).

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 02:49 PM)
@philgrogers: White Sox likely to finalize Adam LaRoche deal Monday. Stockpiling SS depth, with AAA regular Juan Diaz the latest. Alexei Ramirez in play.

I swear Rogers has been reading SoxTalk again.lol. What he says makes sense though and it really looks like the Sox are going to trade Alexei. I kinda get the feeling like the Sox already have something in place.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 04:24 PM)
Your 2015 SS: Juan Diaz. C'mon, Rogers. I get that he's not saying Diaz will start, but Diaz is MiLB filler.

Is SoxTalk the only place talking about Alexei being traded?

Nope. But LDF and I have wondered recently if things discussed here at SoxTalk end up being written about. In other words, sometimes it really seems like writers read SoxTalk related proposals/ideas here and then write about it. Writers like Levine, Heyman and Merkin come to mind, especially Levine. I've seen Levine write up articles on Sox needs and trade possibilities after other writers have already written about them, guy is a hack.

Before this gets too anal, I'm not saying all writers and I'm not saying that is what's happening. Just a funny observation is all and possibly a credit to the Sox community here.

Probably still hesitant due to the kotsay experiment.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 06:19 PM)
Nope. But LDF and I have wondered recently if things discussed here at SoxTalk end up being written about. In other words, sometimes it really seems like writers read SoxTalk related proposals/ideas here and then write about it. Writers like Levine, Heyman and Merkin come to mind, especially Levine. I've seen Levine write up articles on Sox needs and trade possibilities after other writers have already written about them, guy is a hack.

Before this gets too anal, I'm not saying all writers and I'm not saying that is what's happening. Just a funny observation is all and possibly a credit to the Sox community here.

I thought you were Levine.

Ok this may sound stupid but LaRoche will be primary DH correct?

Could Tank be the potential bat to face LHP if we go a platoon route?

I just looked at Vicideo's career splits and against LHP he seems to be a solid bat. (Again I'm not a huge metrics or advanced numbers guy). But in his career against LHP he has a .291/.331/.507 slash. Seems solid to me or am I wrong. What is an acceptable OBP and Slugging%?

EDIT: Err just looked at 2014 he was horrid against LHP maybe cancel this idea.

Edited by MDWhiteSoxFan

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:08 AM)
Ok this may sound stupid but LaRoche will be primary DH correct?

Could Tank be the potential bat to face LHP if we go a platoon route?

I just looked at Vicideo's career splits and against LHP he seems to be a solid bat. (Again I'm not a huge metrics or advanced numbers guy). But in his career against LHP he has a .291/.331/.507 slash. Seems solid to me or am I wrong. What is an acceptable OBP and Slugging%?

EDIT: Err just looked at 2014 he was horrid against LHP maybe cancel this idea.

Viciedo was great against LH pitchers in his first couple seasons but starting in 2013 he was about the same against both types of pitchers. The problem is that he got slightly better against righties and vastly worse against lefties, making him worse overall.That's been the case for 2 years now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 09:13 AM)
Viciedo was great against LH pitchers in his first couple seasons but starting in 2013 he was about the same against both types of pitchers. The problem is that he got slightly better against righties and vastly worse against lefties, making him worse overall.That's been the case for 2 years now.

Yeah I realized that once I went back and looked at all of his seasons individually. Man he used to tear up lefties.

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Nov 23, 2014 -> 11:19 PM)

Who cares if they read the site or not? The site exists and if they have come across it they might be amused by it. It sounds like there are 1-2 insiders on here and if the writers are smart they'd at least see what the alleged insiders are saying about things. No biggie either way. It's a nice website and if they have time they are probably smart to peek at it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 24, 2014 -> 03:08 PM)
Who cares if they read the site or not? The site exists and if they have come across it they might be amused by it. It sounds like there are 1-2 insiders on here and if the writers are smart they'd at least see what the alleged insiders are saying about things. No biggie either way. It's a nice website and if they have time they are probably smart to peek at it.

If someone reads the site and presents what the site says as their own ideas/scoops, it's somewhere between dishonest and plagiarism, with a side order of fraud. That's why it's a biggie.