2014 Winter Meetings

hi8is

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:56 AM)
If the sox are true on competing then they need a good closer. Hahn had said something about going without a set closer by committee but I don't think the sox have enough dominant pitchers to do that so signing a set one is might be the only way.

I feel a bullpen is something you spend excess money on, not primary money.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:51 AM)
I'm of the school that thinks... "It's not my money / supply and demand / baseball economy is rising / f*** it / spend more and put butts in the seat / get a bigger TV contract"

Same. We can't control it so just enjoy who the bring in and forget the money for a bit. Every team is overspending nowadays so I don't know if you really can call it overspending anymore. It is the new market and teams have to adjust

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 12:57 AM)
I feel a bullpen is something you spend excess money on, not primary money.

But again if you want to compete and had as bad of a bullpen as the sox do then you have to spend either money or trades to fix it. But this is telling if they are serious in Robertson then they might have more money to play with then thought of and really should make for a exciting winter meetings and rest of off season.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:10 AM)
But again if you want to compete and had as bad of a bullpen as the sox do then you have to spend either money or trades to fix it. But this is telling if they are serious in Robertson then they might have more money to play with then thought of and really should make for a exciting winter meetings and rest of off season.

I guess we can just agree to disagree, but I'd rather we build the the car before we start buying spoilers and rims.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:18 AM)
I guess we can just agree to disagree, but I'd rather we build the the car before we start buying spoilers and rims.

Bullpen is such an important part in today's game. But you can also find diamond in the roughs without spending so much money but we sucked at that last year. We found a couple with Putnam and Petricka

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)
Bullpen is such an important part in today's game. But you can also find diamond in the roughs without spending so much money but we sucked at that last year. We found a couple with Putnam and Petricka

But a good bullpen on a bad team is useless. A good offense on a bad team at the very least helps attendance and exposure and fan interest. A good rotation on a bad team offers very valuable trading chips to rebuild. A good bullpen on a bad team does neither.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:27 AM)
But a good bullpen on a bad team is useless. A good offense on a bad team at the very least helps attendance and exposure and fan interest. A good rotation on a bad team offers very valuable trading chips to rebuild. A good bullpen on a bad team does neither.

And then trading those pretty reliable veterans like Crain and Thornton that you do have opens up even bigger gaps that you can't easily fill.

Spending top of the market money on a very very good but not quite elite closer in Robertson just doesn't make much sense.

Plus, we've seen enough of those situations blow up (look at the A's with Jim Johnson last year or acquiring Billy Koch for a Sox-related example) to know better by now.

Edited by caulfield12

The Chicago #Whitesox are looming as the #frontrunner to acquire #Athletics ace Jeff Samardzija after the clubs engaged in serious talks

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/541918673565261824

Oakland and the White Sox have been frequent trade partners through the years. Execs on both sides say they work well together. #Samardzija

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/541924420751605760

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 09:22 PM)
While everything you said is true, moving him now clears up some payroll that can be used to improve the team while impact talent is still available. That won't be the case in late January.

Plus I want to see Balta's reaction when he sees another GM actually trended for Viciedo.

What does $4 million for one year buy you?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:37 AM)
What does $4 million for one year buy you?

$4M essentially bought us Zach Duke, it could pay for a different veteran reliever. Or it could contribute towards an impact player that would otherwise push is over our budget.

For someone who seems to think our payroll will be in the low $90M range, I'm shocked you think wasting about 5% of our total payroll isn't a big deal.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 01:20 AM)

We found 2 last year. Hardly sucking. Problem is that we had a pen of 1 going into year and he got hurt. Just need another live arm

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 05:47 AM)
if the sox sign David Robertson, he will cost a draft pick as comp.

For that and other reasons, going after Robertson is a mistake. The positive: It would be a clear sign that the Sox are willing to throw their weight around.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 8, 2014 -> 07:51 AM)
$4M essentially bought us Zach Duke, it could pay for a different veteran reliever. Or it could contribute towards an impact player that would otherwise push is over our budget.

For someone who seems to think our payroll will be in the low $90M range, I'm shocked you think wasting about 5% of our total payroll isn't a big deal.

For one year, not 3.

If there is one impact player that could instantly transform this team from a near last place to a serious contender, it is a dominant RH starter. The Sox are in the uniquely enviable position of having

potentially 3 top starters, all young and affordable for the next 3 or 4 years. They are one starter away from an elite starting staff. All of the old adages about the importance of pitching are still true,

as witnessed by the Royals success, last season.

Player assets and liabilities only exists until they are moved to another team. Why not think in terms of a 3 or 4 year window, and plan to move some of those pieces in 3 years?

Give a Scherzer his $25 to 27 Million, per year, for 6 years, and trade him and his contract, half way through it. You get an Ace for his 3 remaining prime years, and then let someone else

worry about how good he’ll be, in his late 30‘s. Sure, you’d have to kick in plenty of money, but if you can get some good prospects, it just might be worth it. As long as he were healthy,

some team would probably want him, if he were the missing piece to their post season hopes.

The Sox would need to add one dominant bullpen arm, preferably the closer, although there is the chance that Montas could fill that role, in house.

Adding a solid outfielder, while desirable, wouldn’t be critical. They might be able to get by with a speedy, defensive outfielder, with average on base skills. Maybe they could trade Viciedo

for someone who matches that description. RH power is still at a premium.

With that pitching staff, and all of the strike outs they could rack up, they would be alright with a Gillaspie/Semien platoon, defensively at 3RD, as long as they stay solid up the middle.

Alexei and Sanchez provide a more than adequate double play combination.

The payroll would be a little higher than what has been speculated, but maybe J. R. would view that team as his best chance to win it all again, at least one more time, and maybe a couple more times.

He knows that pitching is still what wins championships.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 7, 2014 -> 11:16 PM)
I'm hoping for Brandon McCarthy and a trade of an OF.

Sale-Quintana-McCarthy-Rodon-Noesi/Bassitt could be a really quality rotation. That's a very solid 1-3, Noesi and Bassitt battle in the #4 and #5 spots until June when Rodon comes up, winner takes the #4 spot, loser takes long man job. I could definitely live with that if Hahn can get us an impact OF bat.

Rodon will not be pitching a full MLB year so figure that into the equation.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Per @GeorgeAKingIII, #WhiteSox pursuing Robertson. Sources say they also like Gregerson, who lives in Chicago. Just $64.8M committed in ’15.

@Ken_Rosenthal: Also, per sources: #Astros offered Miller 4 yrs. #WhiteSox were one of several teams reluctant to offer him 4. Would they go 4 on Robertson?