Matt Kemp traded to SD for Yasmani Grandal

knightni

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 12:12 PM)
I'm still waiting for them to figure it out. It was our biggest flaw and we've done ZERO to fix it. Its pathetic. Without doing that, I'd rank this offseason as bad, with context of we made win now moves without being capable of winning now. That said, there is still plenty of time.

Who do expect them to change to improve tbe defense? The only chnages would be 2B and left field. LF really won't help the defense much and 2B will be internal from either Johnson or Sanchez. What you see is what you get for defense.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:13 PM)
Who do expect them to change to improve tbe defense? The only chnages would be 2B and left field. LF really won't help the defense much and 2B will be internal from either Johnson or Sanchez. What you see is what you get for defense.

Improvement at LF and 2b would be really nice, as would keeping our CF on the field. Another biggy will hopefully be continued improvement in the defense of our 1b which I do expect. What would also help is having people who could be relied upon to play games off the bench who were decent defensively, but I'm not quite sure about that yet. The 3b and RF have some room for improvement but who knows what we'll see from them.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 02:39 PM)
I'm actually really hoping Sanchez nails down 2B out of ST because I think he can be a plus defender there. Sounds like Micah has the bat, but is fringey in the field, and I just don't think we can afford to add another fringey defender next year.

I think that the team's defense is holding them back from being a really good team. There's defensive question marks at 3rd (I think that the team should think about Gilapse in LF and finding a defensive minded 3rd baseman.), 2nd and LF.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 08:12 AM)
I would have loved to see Kemp land on the South Side.

I would have rather seen Grandal land on the South Side. But I do understand other needs need to be filled right now...but I'm kind of meh on Kemp.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 12:13 PM)

I have long thought we should be looking at 3B plus the OF. 2B will be taken care of internally. Viciedo & Gillespie are so bad defensively that adding even league average players is a major improvement defensively. At 2B I see no reason why Sanchez / Johnson can't be league avg defenders with time. Beckham was below average last year. To be frank our 2B defense was very poor.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 12:14 AM)
I have long thought we should be looking at 3B plus the OF. 2B will be taken care of internally. Viciedo & Gillespie are so bad defensively that adding even league average players is a major improvement defensively. At 2B I see no reason why Sanchez / Johnson can't be league avg defenders with time. Beckham was below average last year. To be frank our 2B defense was very poor.

the defense is going to be what it is, until the sox start acquiring next group of

prospect / players signing.

for me, i would think that the OF in a top need for the sox follow by a pitcher.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 03:23 PM)
I think that the team's defense is holding them back from being a really good team. There's defensive question marks at 3rd (I think that the team should think about Gilapse in LF and finding a defensive minded 3rd baseman.), 2nd and LF.

I'd like to see that too, but I thought they'd try it out last september if it was under consideration.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 07:27 PM)
I'd like to see that too, but I thought they'd try it out last september if it was under consideration.

If Connor is on auto-launch out of ST again this won't bother us much. I'm looking for an even better Gillaspie this year. He's obviously by no means done getting better. I mean that's clear as day right?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Dec 12, 2014 -> 07:36 PM)
If Connor is on auto-launch out of ST again this won't bother us much. I'm looking for an even better Gillaspie this year. He's obviously by no means done getting better. I mean that's clear as day right?

The issue with him is the D. that doesn't have the ability to get better as easily as O does. But, yea, I like him and agree he can improve particularly offensively.

He kind of was in a weird position in San Fran, being on the 40 man since his signing (in his contract). He quickly ran out of options, and they had no room for him because of Sandoval, so they sold low, to the Sox benefit.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 13, 2014 -> 02:38 AM)
The issue with him is the D. that doesn't have the ability to get better as easily as O does. But, yea, I like him and agree he can improve particularly offensively.

He kind of was in a weird position in San Fran, being on the 40 man since his signing (in his contract). He quickly ran out of options, and they had no room for him because of Sandoval, so they sold low, to the Sox benefit.

and he worked on hitting for avg. i also think he ran out of gas toward the end

of the season. i think he is a good option there.

but the debate keeps coming up, 3b defense and most 3b hit for power.

Not sure what SD is thinking here. Its bad enough they thought Kemp could play the outfield at Petco Park while he ages but now he has arthritis in his hips? Don't know why SD is still interested. Kemp would benefit more from being traded to the AL where he can spend more time at DH. If I'm SD, I'm backing out on this fast.

Edited by StRoostifer

QUOTE (StRoostifer @ Dec 18, 2014 -> 04:31 PM)
Not sure what SD is thinking here. Its bad enough they thought Kemp could play the outfield at Petco Park while he ages but now he has arthritis in his hips? Don't know why SD is still interested. Kemp would benefit more from being traded to the AL where he can spend more time at DH. If I'm SD, I'm backing out on this fast.

If I'm the Padres, it's a cash-grab for as much of an extra subsidy as I can get because the ONE thing LA doesn't want to deal with is Kemp coming back to their organization.

This reminds me of the Grant Balfour situation, although that was a signing and not a trade.

Or Brady Aiken, lol.

By the way, WHERE IS HE? It's hard to find information on the internet. @chrisrod13: Heard of a rumor that Brady Aiken is heading to Yavapai JC in Arizona. Came from numerous scouts.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 19, 2014 -> 09:58 AM)
Bernie Pleskoff ‏@BerniePleskoff 57s57 seconds ago

Sorry my wording was awkward-Kemp deal has been approved and he is now with the #Padres. Kemp, Myers and Upton all in San Diego.

That is pretty crazy. I wonder if any team has ever traded for a whole new outfield in an off season before.