Evan Longoria

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sammy esposito @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 03:46 AM)
Longoria had a bad year 2014. He's owed way too much for the rest of his contract. Pass

In what world is having a 3.4 fWAR season called having a bad year? Sure it was the worst year of his career, but at 3.4 fWAR, he was essentially better than 50% more valuable than an average MLB player. He also has one of the most team friendly contracts in the game and has been woefully underpaid and will probably remain underpaid for nearly the duration of the contract.

With his decent contract, the asking price will be through the roof. As someone else pointed out, Sale or Quintana would have to be the centerpiece...unless the Sox emptied the farm. But, hey, you never know, the Sox did just sign Brad Penny...he could fill the spot vacated by Sale or Quintana.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Dec 16, 2014 -> 10:03 PM)
Now that the Wil Myers deal is almost certain to happen, do you think the Rays trade Longo as well? He would fit perfectly on the Sox. I'd love to see a trade happen, but I would hate to see Rodon/Quintana/Anderson leave. What do you guys think?

Sox Sider: WHITE SOX TO GO AFTER EVAN LONGORIA?

Mike, what are the Wil Myers' rumors? Tks.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 05:37 AM)
I know you have been on a "keep and develop the kids" crusade all offseason, but if Evan Longoria is possible (not saying he is, just supposing) than you do this every time and don't look back.

That being said, I don't think this will happen

That's because the only way you have a chance to win by not using young players is to have a Yankees type budget. The best chance is to be like the Cardinals. Yankees-lite has little chance. You don't encumber yourself to $120 million until they are 37 after you've basically spent your budget.

The Blue Jays traded their best young players 2 years ago and it got them nowhere. their only savior is that their farm continued to churn out more talent. And they still haven't done much.

I will also ask is it mere coincidence that he's on the block the year after he sported a .724 OPS?

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:41 AM)
Uh, no you don't encumber yourself to $120 million until they are 37 after you've basically spent your budget.

That's because the only way you have a chance to win by not using young players is to have a Yankees type budget. The best chance is to be like the Cardinals. Yankees-lite has little chance.

The Blue Jays traded their best young players 2 years ago and it got them nowhere. their only savior is that their farm continued to churn out more talent. And they still haven't done much.

I will also ask is it mere coincidence that he's on the block the year after he sported a .724 OPS?

You dont. I do. And I dont use another team as an excuse to avoid adding an elite player

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:15 AM)
He's almost 30.

To me, that doesn't mean as much of a return than if he was say, 25 or 26.

This is true, so the price wouldn't be unobtainable but it'd still be a hefty price.

The nice part is that no matter what, you'd still have Rodon and Adams.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 07:12 AM)
Anderson Garcia and montas is as far as they should go

Quintana and Anderson would be the ask from Tampa I believe

I'd at least call them and see what they think about Anderson, Montas, Danish and Hawkins. Even with Longo's crazy team-friendly contract, I doubt there's room for him in the Sox budget. But if Jerry could be convinced to stretch for Melky, the excitement and ticket sales around a Longoria acquisition would have to at least tempt him as well. The level of excitement around that would be just insane! Fun to think about, but a super long shot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 17, 2014 -> 08:49 AM)
If the Sox are going to burn prospects in a trade, why not make a bid for Myers? He is a stud controlled for 5 more seasons.

It's a core piece you could only hope guys like Anderson and for that matter A. Garcia turn out to be.

Eh, Myers hasnt really hit that stud level yet. He is more of a tease so far, and seems to be injured a lot.

If the Sox are going to burn prospects in a trade, why not make a bid for Myers? He is a stud controlled for 5 more seasons.

It's a core piece you could only hope guys like Anderson and for that matter A. Garcia turn out to be.

If we're emptying the farm, I'd do it for Longoria over Myers.

I would rather have Myers than Garcia any day of the week.