Evan Longoria

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we hadn't acquired Me.Cabrera, we'd have about a 68 page thread on SD's "expendable" outfielders.

Thank god we were spared that at least.

Kind of boring when we only have the back end of the rotation, 3B, C, 2B and Avy Garcia to wring our hands about.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 22, 2014 -> 09:57 AM)
If we hadn't acquired Me.Cabrera, we'd have about a 68 page thread on SD's "expendable" outfielders.

Thank god we were spared that at least.

Kind of boring when we only have the back end of the rotation, 3B, C, 2B and Avy Garcia to wring our hands about.

What exactly is wrong with Tyler at C, again? We have a payroll of approx $110M. You can't have all-stars at every position and stud #4 and #5 pitchers if you have a $210M payroll, even. Tyler is fine. Conor at 3B is fine. Avi just needs to play. 2B I think the Sox should go with whoever is better defensively, and hope they get some offense out of him. So probably Sanchez? Who knows.

But show me a team out there that has studs at every position with no question marks. Please?

What exactly is wrong with Tyler at C, again? We have a payroll of approx $110M. You can't have all-stars at every position and stud #4 and #5 pitchers if you have a $210M payroll, even. Tyler is fine. Conor at 3B is fine. Avi just needs to play. 2B I think the Sox should go with whoever is better defensively, and hope they get some offense out of him. So probably Sanchez? Who knows.

But show me a team out there that has studs at every position with no question marks. Please?

If Brantly or Kottaras work out reasonably well, catcher could be a 2-2½ WAR position for the Sox. Find the right platoon partner for Gillaspie and 3B can be that good as well.

Where does this idea that Longoria will be cheap come from? He had a down year in 2014 (still very solid), but has been without question one of the best players in the game for a good half decade. Given his relatively affordable contract, he'd cost a f***ton. Last year won't change the price nor should it.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 06:55 AM)
Tampa hasn't really been selling high in this latest talent dump.

Plus longoria's contract off the books helps them in the long run. When they are in Montreal.

So you're justification for getting Longoria for a turd sandwich and a corn cob pipe is that the Rays haven't been selling high, even though they got a future #3/4 starter in Drew Smyly, a well thought of prospect in Nick Franklin, and a very talented, very young player in Willy Adames for David Price who was a year and a half away from free agency. That's comparing apples to Longoria's oranges.

He's not expensive, he's locked up for a long time, and he's still fairly young. He's going to cost the entire system.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 09:06 AM)
So you're justification for getting Longoria for a turd sandwich and a corn cob pipe is that the Rays haven't been selling high, even though they got a future #3/4 starter in Drew Smyly, a well thought of prospect in Nick Franklin, and a very talented, very young player in Willy Adames for David Price who was a year and a half away from free agency. That's comparing apples to Longoria's oranges.

He's not expensive, he's locked up for a long time, and he's still fairly young. He's going to cost the entire system.

I bet you are just awful at a white elephant gift exchange, you just have to be sooooooo realistic about it

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
The iPod has already been traded 3 times, pick something else. Corn cob pipe, turd sandwich, or pick a new gift. (it's 3 bottles of pepto bismol)

*scans gifts*

I will take the Longoria.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Dec 23, 2014 -> 10:48 AM)
Suppose the Rays come at you with a take-it-or-leave-it proposal of: Anderson, Adams (PTBNL), Montas, Hawkins and Michalczewski for Longoria.

Do you take it?

The odds of any of those guys approaching anything near Evan Longoria is about zero. The best hope Tampa would have is that the sum of a couple of them turning into regulars would balance out the production of Longoria.

Just reviewing Evan Longoria's stats at baseball-reference dot com, and Jay Jaffe rates Longoria as the 30th best third basemen all-time. Of the 10 most similar ballplayers to Longoria, only one is a hall-of-famer: Mike Schmidt. Number ten on the list was a pretty good player on the South Side: Robin Ventura. Not bad company to keep.

If Longoria can play at an all-star clip (WAR > 5) for the next 3 to 5 years, you have to start thinking about him as hall-of-fame material, don't you?

I seriously doubt that the Sox will find him underneath the Christmas tree, but there's no harm in dreaming!