2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (coco1997 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
Small sample size but all of the Cubs big name prospects have looked like winners so far. It really makes this organization look pathetically inadequate.

Is it too much to ask for one position player to come through and contribute? Have to hope that Anderson can put it together.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 07:10 PM)
On the offensive end, there is an insane talent gap between the Sox and Cubs. Only Avi would be able to start for them this year.

Are you starting him over Coghlan, Fowler or Soler?

Fowler's slowed down to the point where there's at least a debate between him and Eaton now.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 01:11 AM)
Is it too much to ask for one position player to come through and contribute? Have to hope that Anderson can put it together.

All these Cubs hitters are considered top 20 prospects when they get promoted. When is last time Sox had someone like that?

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:06 PM)
Uh, I didn't say anything about the Cubs upcoming "sustained run of excellence." I said that Kyle Schwarber is a helluva hitting prospect who may not be able to play a position -- which is exactly the scouting report on him a year ago. That means he can be an absolutely devastating DH, which means, at the least, he has immense trade value for half the teams in baseball. He MAY be able to catch at some point, but even the Cubs know that he can't right now.

Reading. A skill.

No, you're pigeonholing Kyle Schwarber because he's a Cub. If he were a Cardinal you wouldn't be doing that. I can't believe grown men can't leave emotion out of their sports fandom.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 07:14 PM)
All these Cubs hitters are considered top 20 prospects when they get promoted. When is last time Sox had someone like that?

Borchard might have been in his first or second year before they discovered all of his flaws and everyone was more fixated on this signing bonus.

Back then all the hype was around Dunn, Borchard and Kearns hitting-wise.

Beckham was Top 50 for sure but I don't remember Top 20.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)
No, you're pigeonholing Kyle Schwarber because he's a Cub. If he were a Cardinal you wouldn't be doing that. I can't believe grown men can't leave emotion out of their sports fandom.

Give it a rest. Did you miss the part where he said Schwarber was an excellent hitter that had immense value? If he were a Cardinal, there'd still be the same issue of position.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:16 PM)

What? Jeez, dude, you must have me confused with someone else. Maybe you should leave emotion out of YOUR sports fandom.

I'm looking at the Cubs situation, just like everyone in baseball (including the Cubs) looks at the Cubs' situation. He's pretty much not an outfielder; they have Rizzo (you like HIM, right?) at first. So Schwarber's going to catch, displace Rizzo, or perhaps be trade bait. That's it.

This is not a surprise. If you've followed the Cubs like you claim you have, then you know that Theo's whole plan is to gather as many hitters as possible (the most valuable commodity in baseball today) and then sort it out later. Some will make it, some won't, some will be traded for pitching. Or did you miss the part where they traded for Addison Russell even though they already had Starlin Castro and Javy Baez?

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
Kyle Schwarber . . . home run. Looks good up there, really good.

Also, not a chance he can stick in the outfield, competently. So, if he can't play catcher (and he can't yet), he's strictly a DH. They don't have those in the National League. So this will be interesting.

Oh, I'm sure MLB will bend to the Cubs' will and bring the DH to the NL soon, since just about everything else has gone the Cubs' way this year.

Edited by coco1997

If Schwarber dropped a lot of weight, you could imagine him playing LF (right is much tricker in Wrigley) as long as they had plus defenders in CF and RF...but it's a bit of a stretch.

Then again, if you've watched guys like Lonnie Smith, Pete Incaviglia and Kevin Reimer play LF, anything is possible.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:23 PM)
What? Jeez, dude, you must have me confused with someone else. Maybe you should leave emotion out of YOUR sports fandom.

I'm looking at the Cubs situation, just like everyone in baseball (including the Cubs) looks at the Cubs' situation. He's pretty much not an outfielder; they have Rizzo (you like HIM, right?) at first. So Schwarber's going to catch, displace Rizzo, or perhaps be trade bait. That's it.

This is not a surprise. If you've followed the Cubs like you claim you have, then you know that Theo's whole plan is to gather as many hitters as possible (the most valuable commodity in baseball today) and then sort it out later. Some will make it, some won't, some will be traded for pitching. Or did you miss the part where they traded for Addison Russell even though they already had Starlin Castro and Javy Baez?

Lol. so basically, one of (if not the best) hitting prospects in baseball can only be traded to the al or for pitching because he has nothing but DH in his future? #stopIT.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
If Schwarber dropped a lot of weight, you could imagine him playing LF (right is much tricker in Wrigley) as long as they had plus defenders in CF and RF...but it's a bit of a stretch.

Then again, if you've watched guys like Lonnie Smith, Pete Incaviglia and Kevin Reimer play LF, anything is possible.

Good points, Caulfield, but that's right: he'd have to lose some weight, or they'd have to carry him out there. Could happen, I guess, but it also becomes a bit of a liability then. Maybe if Almora figures it out for CF, they could partially compensate.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
Francona with awesome managing tonight. He used his closer in the 5th inning with bases loaded after a rain delay. Allen retired Montero, and the Indians bullpen held the Cubs scoreless rest of way.

Reminiscent of the days when Zumaya was in his prime with the Tigers...before all the injuries destroyed his career.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 18, 2015 -> 11:38 PM)
Francona with awesome managing tonight. He used his closer in the 5th inning with bases loaded after a rain delay. Allen retired Montero, and the Indians bullpen held the Cubs scoreless rest of way.

That is awesome. So few managers are willing to do that, but way to use your best reliever with the game on the line. And with the rain delay, it was easy to have him warmed up and ready.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jun 19, 2015 -> 12:20 AM)
I hate this but I am jealous of the Cubs right now and all their hitting prospects. they are starting to do thing right over there while we still suck

Was thinking the same last night. I remember laughing at the "they can just trade hitting for pitching"...oh man, i'd give up whatever for a young hitter who doesn't suck the life out of me as I watch them play.