2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this was a one time thing for Coghlan, I wouldn't be suspicious of his slide, even though it was very high. But he did the same thing to Iwamura back in 2009.

If MLB is going to protect catchers, they might as well start protecting SS and 2B on the pivot play.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
That slide was really late. There is a difference between a hard slide and a late slide.

I would think Bryant or Rizzo would pay for it but its the cubs.

The Pirates really took the high road on this one. Lawrie slid hard into Escobar early in the season and that started a bean-ball war of epic proportions.

Take out slides should be legal, but the runner should have his feet inside the base path, not horizontal to the base trying to trip the fielder. Kang wasn't even that close to second when he got slid into. Coghlan went well out of his way to kick Kang in the knee.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
The Pirates really took the high road on this one. Lawrie slid hard into Escobar early in the season and that started a bean-ball war of epic proportions.

Take out slides should be legal, but the runner should have his feet inside the base path, not horizontal to the base trying to trip the fielder. Kang wasn't even that close to second when he got slid into. Coghlan went well out of his way to kick Kang in the knee.

Couldn't agree more, the Pirates showed alot of class. I think Coghlan taking Kang out at the knee is the worst part of that play. There's no reason to go that high to take out a player.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 17, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)

You're right on that. It's even still going on now, and it started in mid-April.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Couldn't agree more, the Pirates showed alot of class. I think Coghlan taking Kang out at the knee is the worst part of that play. There's no reason to go that high to take out a player.

They did but at the same time it ends any playoff opportunities.

Real classless way of handling by the cub. He broke the guys leg.

I think the rule is you slide right over the base no reason at all to even let those slides happen.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 09:47 AM)
They did but at the same time it ends any playoff opportunities.

Real classless way of handling by the cub. He broke the guys leg.

I think the rule is you slide right over the base no reason at all to even let those slides happen.

The biggest problem I've had reading the internet and twitterverse is that people say the slide wasn't late. To that I will say this: in terms of whether or not Kang still had the ball, no the slide was not late. In terms of when Coghlan started his slide, yes it was WAY late. (And it was not even close to how you should slide in the first place.) It's all good to bring up past instances in the past of guys performing similar slides, but it's annoying for people to ask, "Well what do you think about THIS slide?" It's the unfortunate truth that it takes a guy being seriously injured for people to really start talking about it like this. That's just the way it is.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 10:27 AM)
Next weekend's series might be interesting, as their pre-game/post-game show host tweeted this

16 hours ago

Dan Zangrilli

Source: Pirates officials not amused by Maddon's comment(s)

Maddon's comments were pretty bad...how could a guy who just got taken out, grabbed his knee for a few minutes, and then helped off the field have plantar fasciitis? If that's supposed to be a joke, that's just awful.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
You're right on that. It's even still going on now, and it started in mid-April.

I looked back at Lawrie's slide and it wasn't nearly as bad as Coghlan's. It was a much closer play and Lawrie slid into the bag. His momentum led him over the bag and he crashed into Escobar, who was kneeling trying to catch a throw for the force out. You could probably argue that Lawrie's slide was a bit late as well and maybe a bit close to the side of the base Escobar was standing on.

So once again, good on the Pirates for not starting a huge bean ball war, although I feel like Coghlan should probably get one in the back in the next series.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 05:45 PM)
Absolutely classless comments by Maddon. Pirates handled it with as much class as possible.

No one in the Chicago media would ever call out Maddon. Only person that's come close this year was Bernstein with regards to Maddon's asshole comment about people in the stands paying attention to avoid getting hit by a ball.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
No one in the Chicago media would ever call out Maddon. Only person that's come close this year was Bernstein with regards to Maddon's asshole comment about people in the stands paying attention to avoid getting hit by a ball.

It is just a matter of time before Maddon's head and ego become over inflated as he gets more and more of the spotlight he seems to cherish.

This team will head down the path of unlikability quickly.

I believe Len Kasper has a show on every Chicagoland CBS owned radio station. Theo, Jed and Jason McCloud are all on the radio on a regular basis and Maddon has at least one weekly show.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 18, 2015 -> 05:34 PM)
It is just a matter of time before Maddon's head and ego become over inflated as he gets more and more of the spotlight he seems to cherish.

This team will head down the path of unlikability quickly.

I believe Len Kasper has a show on every Chicagoland CBS owned radio station. Theo, Jed and Jason McCloud are all on the radio on a regular basis and Maddon has at least one weekly show.

Wait until they're on the Score full-time