2015 Cubs Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
So when healthy, switching leagues had zero effect on his numbers. Perfect.

My original point - name one hitter in the last 3 years that has significantly improved when moving from the NL to AL? I'm waiting for just one. I can name a handful that went from AL to NL and improved significantly as well as another handful that moved from the NL to AL and dropped off significantly.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 11:42 AM)
That's all good except for the fact that he also hit 311 on the road in 2013

Fine, but he had an ENTIRE SEASON between switching leagues and winning the batting title. He does not support your argument. He is a bad example.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the NL is better than AL but to say the Cubs would be under .500 in the AL is silly. So what the Cards are the only team in the NL that would be over .500 in the AL? Cmon now.

And Cespedes has been fantastic but it's been a month and a half so lets all calm down.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
I don't think anyone is arguing that the NL is better than AL but to say the Cubs would be under .500 in the AL is silly. So what the Cards are the only team in the NL that would be over .500 in the AL? Cmon now.

And Cespedes has been fantastic but it's been a month and a half so lets all calm down.

Understood and agreed, I'm only stating that I can't think of a single hitter that went from the NL and noticeably improved in the AL the next season within the last couple years. In other words no examples of 2015 Yunel Escobar or AJP or 2014 Seth Smith. In fact, it seems majority of hitters moving to the AL experience a significant drop off in production. Why is that?

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
Understood and agreed, I'm only stating that I can't think of a single hitter that went from the NL and noticeably improved in the AL the next season within the last couple years. In other words no examples of 2015 Yunel Escobar or AJP or 2014 Seth Smith. In fact, it seems majority of hitters moving to the AL experience a significant drop off in production. Why is that?

It was already explained to you why those hitters dropped off, it was expected before they even switched leagues.

And AJP played in the NL last year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 06:41 PM)
It was already explained to you why those hitters dropped off, it was expected before they even switched leagues.

And AJP played in the NL last year.

After he was essentially run out of the AL... You have yet to provide an example in which an NL hitter vastly improved when switching to the AL within the last couple years. Also, how many guys switched from the AL and vastly underperformed the next season in the NL? How many opposite league Laroche, Hanley, and Sandoval examples are out there? I think there were a number of years in which NL pitching was deeper and better than AL but I think that has gone the other direction the last few years.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Sep 10, 2015 -> 06:51 PM)
After he was essentially run out of the AL... You have yet to provide an example in which an NL hitter vastly improved when switching to the AL within the last couple years. Also, how many guys switched from the AL and vastly underperformed the next season in the NL? How many opposite league Laroche, Hanley, and Sandoval examples are out there? I think there were a number of years in which NL pitching was deeper and better than AL but I think that has gone the other direction the last few years.

I think everyone agrees the NL is weaker overall this year, but it's also not a AAA league. But all of those players who you've mentioned have other circumstances that contribute to their change in performance, not simply a change in league.

I have a sneaky feeling Cubs will get beat pretty good in the one game wildcard at Pittsburgh. Only hope for Cubbies is to play that thing in Wrigley.

I am not a big fan of the one-game Wildcard. As a Sox fan, I'm not even crazy about that. I want to win the division or not make the playoffs at all. The one-game WC is bad for baseball IMO. One game?? Give me the division title and a real playoff series or give me nothing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 11:32 PM)
I have a sneaky feeling Cubs will get beat pretty good in the one game wildcard at Pittsburgh. Only hope for Cubbies is to play that thing in Wrigley.

I am not a big fan of the one-game Wildcard. As a Sox fan, I'm not even crazy about that. I want to win the division or not make the playoffs at all. The one-game WC is bad for baseball IMO. One game?? Give me the division title and a real playoff series or give me nothing.

What in thee f*** is this?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 11, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)

So you would have been opposed the 2006 team making it as the second WC?

There hasn't been much drama in the NL, but the AL will go down to the wire and it has kept an extra 4-6 teams alive into September.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 01:44 AM)
Can't see that point of view? I see both sides easily

And greg's side is retarded. if the White Sox were on the verge of clinching the second wc would you say to yourself, "damnit. this sucks. I don't want a shot at the playoffs unless we win the division."

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 12:53 PM)
Cardinals about to lose the suspended game also. Lost 7 of 9 and looking awful. I don't get why Broxton is getting important innings for him, he was freaking awful in Milwaukee.

The Cardinals have lost 7 of 9. I guess that clearly invalidates 5 months of a .650 winning percentage. They're totally losing that division. They should have sold at the trade deadline. Like how when the White Sox won 7 straight it propelled them to the best record in baseball and clearly established they were the best team. That winning streak still hasn't ended.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2015 -> 04:55 PM)
The Cardinals have lost 7 of 9. I guess that clearly invalidates 5 months of a .650 winning percentage. They're totally losing that division. They should have sold at the trade deadline. Like how when the White Sox won 7 straight it propelled them to the best record in baseball and clearly established they were the best team. That winning streak still hasn't ended.

or that they've hit the wall with their amazing pitching tiring out now (most innings ever for Wacha and Martinez) and their offense unable to make up for the fact they're without 4 starters right now