2015 Films thread

Balta1701

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 05:20 PM)
well, i finally got done watching the movie Everest, wow, a very intense, for me, movie. great and i was disappointed it never appeared where i live.

i am now catching up on most of the individual characters on wiki ....

here is a link, i think this is the real people.

http://www.videomoviles.com/0ui3sJpJFSM/tr...s-and-rob-hall/

edit ..... the real buck weathers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beck+Weathe...bVr7zdOIKuNM%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beck+Weathe...bVr7zdOIKuNM%3A

You should read the book: Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer. You'll get lots of character study in there. Excellent book.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
The story pivots so much from murderous isolated contest where goal is to survive to a wide-spanning "win a civil war". In reality the third book could have been 5 unsuccessful books but eventually you run out of reason for her to be in the games.

In lord of the rings, you have a single goal (destroy the ring) that can have so much happen along the way. In Harry Potter, its kill voldemort. These are simple acts that are your ending. Hunger Games could have resolved with the civil war being a handwaving moment "everyone rose up, the city fell in days", but instead they made the plot the civil war and it was a mess.

The movie could have changed that but it didn't have the guts.

Mockingjay was the worst of the books as well. I really like the series and the first book is a classic but the 3rd story was rushed and you can tell throughout.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 04:33 PM)
Mockingjay was the worst of the books as well. I really like the series and the first book is a classic but the 3rd story was rushed and you can tell throughout.

excellent opinion. i agree and in the book thread i was saying something like what you said.

now if you look at the scorch trails, maze runner. outside the 1 book the rest sucked big time, even worst than the final twilite book.

but here is where a great screen writer comes in. for the movie, he practically rewrote it and the move was 1,000 x better than the book.

oh, they, the movie industry wanted closure and 2 moves for the $$$$.

that final movie is all profit. 100% of it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
You should read the book: Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer. You'll get lots of character study in there. Excellent book.

i stayed up to all hours reading on everything i can about this climb..... the main guy, it is a shame, he was never able to see him new child.

the other person who lost his 2 hand, nose, eye and facial skin around the eyebrows and chin and cheeks,.... in the move, you could tell something was going to happen.

that scott guy, i wish i know more about what happen, i am wondering a lot of questions.

as i said, it was intense and suspenseful.

A really solid trailer and this movie looks really good. Visually its Zack Snyder unleashed and that's a very goof thing. Its the perfect kind of trailer to put out in front of audiences in whats going to be a massive season at the box office. It wasn't too dark, there was a good bit of humor in there. Loved seeing Lex Luthor kinda-sorta break the fourth wall.

Some people said that the trailer showed too much but the filmmakers behind the DCEU are extremely secretive and showed us exactly what they wanted to show us and are keeping the really big surprises a secret.

I really like how the DCEU is being built, it makes perfect sense to jump right into Justice League. They're using Superman as a catalyst and the events of Man of Steel as a springboard. Superman's arrival causes the other members of the JL to come out.

Just me speculating: Batman is investigating Superman and seeing if he is someone that can be trusted after the Battle of Metropolis (Which in the DCEU is Gotham City's neighbor), Aquaman is pissed off over the damage the ocean and presumably Atlantis experienced due to the World Engine, Wonder Woman is there to stop some kind of cataclysmic event from happening, Cyborg is created by humans experimenting with alien tech, the Green Lantern is policing his space sector and sees some kind of alien activity, and the Flash is there hanging out.

Doing a bunch of solo films before JL would have been a huge disservice and jumping right into it really plays up the events of Man of Steel and the importance of Superman.

Really excited for this movie.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 08:07 AM)
I really liked the first minute of the trailer and suddenly found myself getting excited for the movie.

Then Lex came in and killed it. Dear god does he look terrible.

well i will say one thing, it does look interesting, even so much as i would say, i change my mind about going to see it.

the jury is still out for me on this.

Cmon. I'm down on DC after the awful MoS and never liked Snyder but at least the first trailer was kind of exciting and looked decent. This trailer was garbage. The usual awful ZS CGI, an annoying Lex Luthor, and gave away the end it seems.

Turrible.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 02:07 AM)
I really liked the first minute of the trailer and suddenly found myself getting excited for the movie.

Then Lex came in and killed it. Dear god does he look terrible.

"The Son of Krypton vs the Bat of Gotham!!!"

How f***ing cheesy.

Affleck seems to pull off the cape and cowl. The rest of this looks to be a disaster.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
"The Son of Krypton vs the Bat of Gotham!!!"

How f***ing cheesy.

Affleck seems to pull off the cape and cowl. The rest of this looks to be a disaster.

I audibly groaned at that line. And Doomsday looking like Marvel's The Abomination circa 2008, Ninja Turtle or a Cave Troll. And for a film called Batman v Superman, don't show them united IN the trailer. Does Wonder Woman just...appear?

Apparently Jesse Eisenberg is basing his Lex Luthor off screenwriter Max Landis, he wrote Chronicle, American Ultra and Victor Frankenstein.

Apparently the dialogue spoken by Lex in the trailer when he interrupts Clark and Bruce was lifted from real life, from an exchange Eisenberg and Landis had at a party. He said that Eisenberg got him down to the hand movements and mannerisms.

I was originally put off by Eisenberg's Luthor in the Comic-Con trailer, but after re-reading Snyder's comments regarding this incarnation of Luthor, how he is based off modern day 20-something year old billionaires (The Founder of GoPro instantly comes to mind) and the Max Landis influence. I am on board.

I do think that we will see something closer to traditional Lex as his portrayal goes on.

Regarding the VFX in the trailer, I imagine that the majority of it is incomplete and the shots of Doomsday* are what they had available. And I think Doomsday* is going to look closer to his comic-book counterpart as the film goes on.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 03:47 PM)
Why would you base Lex Luthor off something that isn't in the comic? And Max Landis? Ok. I liked his Wrestling Isn't Wrestling video but I wouldn't be proud of his writing credits. Chronicle was ok.

There is nothing that says you can not bring outside influences to your performance. If anything that means that you're going to get a multi-layered performance.

Adam Driver said that he studied violent, religious extremist for his performance as Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens. Tom Hardy said the he studied terrorist for his role as Bane and brought that angle to his performance.

EDIT: This does not mean that Lex in the DCEU is a screenwriter, Eisenberg is just taking inspiration from Landis's personality.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 11:11 PM)
There is nothing that says you can not bring outside influences to your performance. If anything that means that you're going to get a multi-layered performance.

Adam Driver said that he studied violent, religious extremist for his performance as Kylo Ren in The Force Awakens. Tom Hardy said the he studied terrorist for his role as Bane and brought that angle to his performance.

EDIT: This does not mean that Lex in the DCEU is a screenwriter, Eisenberg is just taking inspiration from Landis's personality.

i like that.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)

Eisenberg should have been studying violent dictators and villainous businessmen, not second generation directors and 20 year old internet billionaires

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
Eisenberg should have been studying violent dictators and villainous businessmen, not second generation directors and 20 year old internet billionaires

This.

Adam Driver is playing an original character. He can get inspiration anyway he needs to. Tom Hardy played a character and pretty much portrayed him as he was in the comic. Lex has been written and acted before in a certain way in the past. It's dumb to just reinvent him. It's dumb he's even in this movie probably. It's not even close to being the same thing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)

But this Lex Luthor is not a violent dictator yet.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
Lex has been written and acted before in a certain way in the past. It's dumb to just reinvent him. It's dumb he's even in this movie probably. It's not even close to being the same thing.

So you want everyone who plays a preexisting character to play it the exact same each time? That's not smart or a good idea. What?

If you're not going bring something new to the character/story, why do it in the first place? Characters evolve with the times and with the stories that are being written.

Characters have been reinvented time after time, look at Batman. Look at all the different incarnations of the character, based on the time he was being written in, the stories he inhabited and the creative people behind him.

The Dennis O'Neal Batman and Jeph Loeb Batman are completely different but still Batman.

Snyder, Terrio, Goyer and Nolan came up with their story and the world in which that story takes place and came up with the best Lex Luthor for their universe and the story they're telling.

He may be reinvented but it's still Lex Luthor.

I'm still baffled at the comment. Sorry if my response isn't coherent.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2015 -> 08:01 PM)
Lex was a smarmy small dips*** never

Snyder said that when they came up with their Luthor, they wanted him to be the exact opposite of Superman in every possible way. And that's why Eisenstein was cast and based off the viral media and what we've seen in the trailer... Mission Accomplished.