The Backup Catcher

Jose Abreu

Backup Catcher  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want to be backup catcher?

• Geovany Soto
    • George Kottaras
    • Adrian Nieto
    • Rob Brantly
    • Other

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 07:59 AM)
if you are thinking that Nieto will be up in the majors, i don't see that happening. he really needs a full season of at bats and time behind the plate. my thinking is that the sox see potential and the sox want to fully develop Nieto.

beyond him, does the sox really have another potential full time major league catcher in the minors??

I'm aware. I was answering the question of left handed hitters.

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Picking a catcher out of the Sox' 5 candidates is like picking the "tallest midget". None of them are any damn good.

That's true, but Soto has had his moments. Flowers had his streak. One guy in one of the seminars said he works for Google and Flowers pitch framing improved when he put on the glasses as well. I am no fan of Flowers and expect him to struggle to hit .200, but you don't have to be very good or very lucky to hit .230-.240 when he would be fine.

I think of all of back ups, if they had to catch 80 games, Soto would be head and shoulders the best candidate. If Salvador Perez was the starter, probably Kottaras.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Stev-o @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
Picking a catcher out of the Sox' 5 candidates is like picking the "tallest midget". None of them are any damn good.

11rvndk.jpg

I actually really like how they went out and signed 15 guys to compete for the spot. The thought is one of them is bound to stick- and for a backup role, I think they could have done worse. I think Soto gets it for the defense, but I wouldn't mind it if one of the others win it.

It was mentioned that Nieto could be an eventual long term solution. Are they really entertaining the idea of Nieto as permanent primary catcher?

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
It's hard to imagine it being Kottaras. To be a bad defense catcher the upside has to be huge on the other end of things, and it seems to fall short of that.

In the platoon role he's played, his offense has been worlds better than any of the other players. He's been an above league average bat practically every year. Flowers has never even sniffed that. Soto used to be that, but it's been a little while. Nieto is an okay prospect who is bad defensively, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if any combination of Flowers/Kottaras/Soto ends up as the starter and backup. IMO, those guys are all about the same and the best two performers should get the jobs.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 07:06 PM)
Which makes you wonder who gets cut then? Sox aren't going to carry more than 3 catchers on the 40-man. I guess Smith? He's got the least amount going for him.

I have to imagine that a guy like Soto probably has a release guarentee built into his invite, where if the Sox don't add him to the 25 man roster by a certain date, they have to release or trade him. Kottaras might have the same thing.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
In the platoon role he's played, his offense has been worlds better than any of the other players. He's been an above league average bat practically every year. Flowers has never even sniffed that. Soto used to be that, but it's been a little while. Nieto is an okay prospect who is bad defensively, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if any combination of Flowers/Kottaras/Soto ends up as the starter and backup. IMO, those guys are all about the same and the best two performers should get the jobs.

Check out his 2013 offensive numbers with the Rangers. Very solid.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 03:36 PM)
Soto? Yeah, I'm not sure he isn't the best catcher we have. I think his is a health question.

but with Michael Ohlman, all he needs is to be added to the 40 man roster. let him continue to develop in the minors.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 27, 2015 -> 10:26 PM)
Michael Ohlman i think just became available .... should the sox be interested???

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/01/orio...assignment.html

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/p...traderumors.com

No they should not.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 09:43 AM)
but with Michael Ohlman, all he needs is to be added to the 40 man roster. let him continue to develop in the minors.

Michael Ohlman would be a waste of a 40-man roster spot. He'd probably be at least 7th on the catching depth chart right now behind Flowers, Soto, Brantly, Kottaras, Nieto, and Smith.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2015 -> 04:50 PM)
No they should not.

Michael Ohlman would be a waste of a 40-man roster spot. He'd probably be at least 7th on the catching depth chart right now behind Flowers, Soto, Brantly, Kottaras, Nieto, and Smith.

ok, thanks for your opinion