Chris Sale has a foot injury

Baron

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
There was an article stating Rodon probably wasn't going to be starting any spring training games. This might open the door a bit.

Sale's injury will give Rodon even more of a chance to shine in the spring, especially if Beck, Johnson and Penny struggle.

I hope not. This injury should have zero effect on Rodon's timetable.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming he hurt it today 3 weeks = march 21st. They aren't going to take chances with him. He'll need until about april 18-20 ish weekend to build up arm strength.

Im sorry but this just about pencils Rodon in the rotation. OR we go get another starter. For a team making this many moves you aren't guessing for 2.5+ weeks

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2015 -> 10:13 PM)
There was an article stating Rodon probably wasn't going to be starting any spring training games. This might open the door a bit.

Sale's injury will give Rodon even more of a chance to shine in the spring, especially if Beck, Johnson and Penny struggle.

What? That's ridiculous, who wrote this?

After reading more information, I think the writers are confusing tendons with ligaments. The 3 week timeline makes more sense with a ligament avulsion. If this is the case, there will be no long term problems.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
After reading more information, I think the writers are confusing tendons with ligaments. The 3 week timeline makes more sense with a ligament avulsion. If this is the case, there will be no long term problems.

whew ..... i hope you are right. many thanks for clearing that up. maybe now i can step back from the cliff edge. ;)

QUOTE (staxx @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 04:30 AM)
Assuming he hurt it today 3 weeks = march 21st. They aren't going to take chances with him. He'll need until about april 18-20 ish weekend to build up arm strength.

Im sorry but this just about pencils Rodon in the rotation. OR we go get another starter. For a team making this many moves you aren't guessing for 2.5+ weeks

If your timetable is correct, that would equate to 2 starts missed. If their intention is to hold Rodon back until June, they are not going to alter that over 2 starts. I would also doubt they trade in spring training for a starter unless they make that decision based on a need regardless of Sale. My guess is Sale misses one start at most based on the current info.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 08:46 AM)
Merkin yesterday....that he MighT start a b game or split squad, but not any regular spring training games

Also another Jared Mitchell/Buddy Bell puff piece, incredibly.

I understand that they are simultaneously playing with his arb clock and bringing him along slowly and trying to get him into a routine, but it makes no sense to me to hold him out of starting spring training games. It's not like that forces them to bring him up or guarantees him a spot in the rotation

QUOTE (ptatc @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)

Wow, we know one thing. He won't be rushed. I bet he misses a month. As Les Grobstein would say, "We'll have to wait and see."

QUOTE (3GamesToLove @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 01:37 PM)
I'd guess Samardzija. Anything little you can give him here or there could make a difference when it comes to free agency.

I think it'll depend on how long Sale is actually out. If they just have to skip him once and then he makes the next start, they'll set their rotation as though he would be there so that he can just step in. If he's out longer, they might do something different in order to limit the outings on whoever they bring up in his place.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 02:39 PM)
I think it'll depend on how long Sale is actually out. If they just have to skip him once and then he makes the next start, they'll set their rotation as though he would be there so that he can just step in. If he's out longer, they might do something different in order to limit the outings on whoever they bring up in his place.

I think he misses one start and with the off days they should be covered. s***ty way to start the season but not that big of a deal long term. Say moderate case he's throwing long toss on march 23rd, does a bullpen session say on the 26th, and then makes two starts in extended spring ball he should be ready to go around April 8th.

Of course, if the foot doesn't heal as expected, push that back another couple weeks. But I really do think there is a chance he only misses one start. The foot isn't really broken it's more like a ligament strain from my understanding the bone "breaks" when the ligament gets pulled off the bone. I think worst case he's off the rubber for 4 weeks. Even then he should only miss a handful of starts at most.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Mar 2, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
I think he misses one start and with the off days they should be covered. s***ty way to start the season but not that big of a deal long term. Say moderate case he's throwing long toss on march 23rd, does a bullpen session say on the 26th, and then makes two starts in extended spring ball he should be ready to go around April 8th.

Of course, if the foot doesn't heal as expected, push that back another couple weeks. But I really do think there is a chance he only misses one start. The foot isn't really broken it's more like a ligament strain from my understanding the bone "breaks" when the ligament gets pulled off the bone. I think worst case he's off the rubber for 4 weeks. Even then he should only miss a handful of starts at most.

That's my general guess also, if he's out 3 weeks starting last Friday he should be throwing even earlier than the dates you give.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 1, 2015 -> 09:02 AM)
I understand that they are simultaneously playing with his arb clock and bringing him along slowly and trying to get him into a routine, but it makes no sense to me to hold him out of starting spring training games. It's not like that forces them to bring him up or guarantees him a spot in the rotation

I heard Coop himself on CSN the other day saying that Rodon probably would’ve only started in an intra-squad game or a few “b” games had Sale not been injured.