2015-2016 NFL Thread

No idea what happens the rest of the season, but if Jay looks this calm in the offense, zero reason to cut him. I still think if Cook is their in the 2nd (or someone else) whom you really like, you draft and groom and we can't ignore the QB position (it isn't like Jay is 26) but thus far, Gase and Cutler look to be doing some good things and Jay is becoming far less a problem. Is he elite, no, but you can absolutely win and go deep if you had a good team around him (the way he's played thus far...especially given the struggles / injuries to his receivers and line).

But he's got to do this for a while longer to just completely ignore QB.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hypothetical:

Say we just passed the golden era of football, with elite QBs running their own offenses slinging the ball all over the field, and everyone goes back to the St. Louis Rams set up. RBs start becoming elite items. Run and D.

Would you lost some interest in football?

This year has been thoroughly unenjoyable for me, and the QB play has been largely bad. If it keeps up like this I'm not sure how it will hold up.

Now, I know it's probably a blip, just a hypothetical if the "passing league" trend reverses. WRs are more talented than ever.

Good move by Niners. They drastically need an upgrade at TE and they can deal with the pains of getting an offensive player up to speed in a new system during the course of the season (as they can afford some negative plays given they are pretty much playoff locks).

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 03:27 PM)
I THINK its 13mill but I'm not positive. Fairly certain it's above 10 though.

At this point I think it would be foolish to cut him and go after a QB in this meh class.

This team is a lot closer to competing with Jay Cutler than with a rookie QB.

Bonuses are already paid. If they cut him as designate as a June 1st Cut, he'd cost $5 million in 2016, and $5 million in 2017. No reason to release him though.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Hypothetical:

Say we just passed the golden era of football, with elite QBs running their own offenses slinging the ball all over the field, and everyone goes back to the St. Louis Rams set up. RBs start becoming elite items. Run and D.

This year has been thoroughly unenjoyable for me, and the QB play has been largely bad. If it keeps up like this I'm not sure how it will hold up.

Now, I know it's probably a blip, just a hypothetical if the "passing league" trend reverses. WRs are more talented than ever.

The honest answer from me...and this will sound meatball... is that the NFL product is nothing what I grew up loving. It is not even close. They eliminated the gladiator element to the game. I used to love watching the hits coming from all over the field. The Qb's were running for the lives. The receivers had the fear of god in them coming across the middle. There is technicalities constantly being discussed and reviewed in game. The announcers blow. The all around physicality is lacking at every position. Its all about technique now and less about being a monster and having technique to go with it. The NFL believes they can do no wrong and that they are invincible and its bulls***. The game is changed because they were afraid of being sued by everyone that has played before and they likely didnt do much to protect these guys other than taking away the quality of the game.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:30 PM)
So, Caplan saying they are just "swapping positions" for 6th and 7th picks, which makes zero sense. I can't find article saying anything like that.

@AdamSchefter 29m29 minutes ago

So just to be clear in Vernon Davis trade: SF and Denver swapping 6th and 7th round picks in 2016, and 49ers get Denver's 6th in 2017.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:41 PM)
@AdamSchefter 29m29 minutes ago

So just to be clear in Vernon Davis trade: SF and Denver swapping 6th and 7th round picks in 2016, and 49ers get Denver's 6th in 2017.

Doesn't this give Denver better position on 6th and 7th?

Yeah, that deal doesn't make much sense for the 9ers. Giving up Davis and going from near the top of the 6/7 rounds to near the bottom of said rounds for a 6th round pick 2 years from now.

That can't be right. Maybe we're reading it wrong and its..

Broncos get- Davis and 9ers 2016 7th round pick

49ers get- Broncos 2016 6th round pick and 2017 6th round pick.

Still doesn't seem like a good deal for the 49ers.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
@AdamSchefter

This guy is such a dork at this time of year. I've heard him on radio shows on trade deadline day, and he's so distracted by trying to be the first to tweet out trade info that he can't even pay attention to the interview. Adam (I'm sure he'll read this), it's not that important to be first.n just get the right info out.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
I hope they pass. It's the perfect time to see what you have in Langford. Hopefully he's just used as a backup

Pretty sure Ball would back up Langford in this scenario

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
What the hell happened to Luck? He sometimes looks lost and makes some terrible decisions far too often.

His O Line is terrible and they said he has been playing with multiple broken ribs since week 3

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 09:54 PM)
Pretty sure Ball would back up Langford in this scenario

Yeah, you're probably right.

What's wrong with Ball? He had a pretty solid rookie year. Was bad last year, and now he's unemployed.

You would think some team would have taken a shot on him hoping he's more of what we saw his rookie year vs last year.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)
Yeah, you're probably right.

What's wrong with Ball? He had a pretty solid rookie year. Was bad last year, and now he's unemployed.

You would think some team would have taken a shot on him hoping he's more of what we saw his rookie year vs last year.

Running backs are disposable. He injured his groin and never got another look

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 2, 2015 -> 04:12 PM)
Hypothetical:

Between the lack of QB play, awful officiating on judgement passing plays, and the amount of commercials vs actual game play , it is definitely hard to watch at times.

That being said, betting pools and fantasy sports work so well with football, it's not going anywhere. Plus, having games only once a week make them each seem like an event and much more important than your normal regular season MLB or NBA game.