2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Get an extra assistant coach on the sideline or upstairs to help advise in these crucial situations? I'm not a GM, but it's crazy that the coaches repeatedly make the same mistakes with games and seasons on the line.

That would put every punter in the league out of a job.

One would think they could hire a situational expert or something whose sole job was to determine the optimal decision based on clock management and analytics. For the amount of money that is involved in professional football, it would easily be worth it.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
One would think they could hire a situational expert or something whose sole job was to determine the optimal decision based on clock management and analytics. For the amount of money that is involved in professional football, it would easily be worth it.

You could easily hire a college intern to crunch numbers for nearly nothing.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 12:54 PM)
Dion Lewis = torn ACL

Judging from the reaction, the Patriots are the only team in the league that deals with injuries.

Hard not to feel bad for lewis, who could have landed a "Set for life" contract if he kept it up.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 02:29 PM)
An NFL team just needs to hire that high school coach who always goes for 2, never punts and always kicks onside kicks.

I don't know about the onside kicks part, but the first two are more often than not the right choice.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/24/9391...xtra-points-nfl

http://grantland.com/features/grantland-ch...ch-never-punts/

The math in that article makes my head hurt. Historically, teams are 45% on 2-point conversions but let's use the incredibly small sample size of 15 attempts this season to justify why it makes sense.

Also, no mention of the fact that as teams start to go for two more, there is more film on what plays they use in those situations, and I believe the percentage would start to go down.

Unless your kicker really sucks, kicking is still the right move unless it's the 4th quarter and the score differential justifies it.

I do agree that teams punt too much though. You should never punt inside the opponent's 40 and very rarely punt inside the 50.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 03:39 PM)
The math in that article makes my head hurt. Historically, teams are 45% on 2-point conversions but let's use the incredibly small sample size of 15 attempts this season to justify why it makes sense.

Also, no mention of the fact that as teams start to go for two more, there is more film on what plays they use in those situations, and I believe the percentage would start to go down.

Unless your kicker really sucks, kicking is still the right move unless it's the 4th quarter and the score differential justifies it.

I do agree that teams punt too much though. You should never punt inside the opponent's 40 and very rarely punt inside the 50.

It'll be interesting to see what the PAT conversion rates are after a full season or two of moving the kicks back.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:11 PM)
How many times have we seen the prevent defense in the red zone at the end of a half? And how many times has it worked?

The whole point of the defense is to not give up a touchdown. By going to the "picket fence" defense it forces the QB to throw short and they concede a FG.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 9, 2015 -> 09:12 PM)
The whole point of the defense is to not give up a touchdown. By going to the "picket fence" defense it forces the QB to throw short and they concede a FG.

Oh thank you for explaining a prevent defense to me.

Point is, that was a s***ty call to just give them a gimme FG