2015-2016 NFL Thread

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
No, I think hiring a professional coach who knows how to put out a respectable, professional looking team (that still isn't good) is what you hired Fox to do. I don't get the gushing over him or the 100% faith that he'll turn this mess around. I know you guys aren't saying this is a playoff team or they're going to the superbowl next year. But I'll refrain from being excited until they actually win some tough games and not meet the "we're not embarrassing anymore" bar.

Well good luck with that POV. Fox was hired to take this team to the super bowl, something he's done twice before. The upper mgmt was hired to turn over a talentless roster with literally no identity. Both are well on their way.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:24 PM)
No, I think hiring a professional coach who knows how to put out a respectable, professional looking team (that still isn't good) is what you hired Fox to do. I don't get the gushing over him or the 100% faith that he'll turn this mess around. I know you guys aren't saying this is a playoff team or they're going to the superbowl next year. But I'll refrain from being excited until they actually win some tough games and not meet the "we're not embarrassing anymore" bar.

I see some people saying "I like the improvements so far, seems to be heading in the right direction." I don't see anyone gushing or saying that this regime is a 100% lock to turn this team completely around into a playoff contender.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
Well next year you'll hopefully still have Jeffrey, Bennett, and HOPEFULLY a stud WR in White. The line is still competent, even if injured on occasion. It's not the bottomless pit it was 5 years ago. And you'll hopefully still have Forte. I'm sure most teams around the league would take that.

This! And we likely add an O-lineman.

It's not hard to look at this team and see some bright spots, which is room for optimism when you look back at how bad we thought this team would be.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:31 PM)
Well good luck with that POV. Fox was hired to take this team to the super bowl, something he's done twice before. The upper mgmt was hired to turn over a talentless roster with literally no identity. Both are well on their way.

Perhaps i'm reading more into what you and others are saying. If so, my bad. But I take that to mean you see significant improvement. Not marginal improvement, but a big step from last year. That's what I don't see. I see a team that went from embarrassingly bad at times last year to just being bad. I don't consider that being anything more than a marginal step when a lot of what happened last year was dysfunction off the field. I think any number of coaches could have come in here and gotten that marginal step simply by having a different voice. I'm not suggesting Fox, Gase & Co. are bad, or that they've failed. To me they've done what was expected as a bare minimum.

I have no qualms with Pace. I think he's done a good job thus far. We'll see how the draft picks work out, but he, more so than Fox, makes me excited for the franchise.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:45 PM)
Perhaps i'm reading more into what you and others are saying. If so, my bad. But I take that to mean you see significant improvement. Not marginal improvement, but a big step from last year. That's what I don't see. I see a team that went from embarrassingly bad at times last year to just being bad. I don't consider that being anything more than a marginal step when a lot of what happened last year was dysfunction off the field. I think any number of coaches could have come in here and gotten that marginal step simply by having a different voice. I'm not suggesting Fox, Gase & Co. are bad, or that they've failed. To me they've done what was expected as a bare minimum.

I have no qualms with Pace. I think he's done a good job thus far. We'll see how the draft picks work out, but he, more so than Fox, makes me excited for the franchise.

Results-wise, its marginal, but as a team and organization, the changes are immense and obvious. I know what the Bears are trying to do on offense and defense and its cohesive and applied no matter the personnel. Its been years since we had that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
I can appreciate the sentiment, but you guys are getting excited about beating/losing closely to bad teams. Actual playoff teams they've been pretty non-competitive. I mean, sure, they're not getting crushed like the pats/packers games like last year, but that's when the franchise basically bottomed out.

4 games against playoff(ish) teams at the moment.

- Competed with GB

- Lost as time expired vs. Minnesota (6-2, no matter what you might think of them)

- Blown out vs. AZ, but down 28-20 while Cutler was playing

- Blown out by Seattle with Clausen.

So other than the 3 halves with Clausen under center, the Bears have actually been ok. Not playoff good. But they've competed in every other game. Certainly a vast improvement over last year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:50 PM)
Results-wise, its marginal, but as a team and organization, the changes are immense and obvious. I know what the Bears are trying to do on offense and defense and its cohesive and applied no matter the personnel. Its been years since we had that.

The players alone that Pace has brought in all look to at least be contributors in some sort of way.

Goldman, Langford, Grassu, Amos (arguably already a top 10 safety), Janoris Jenkins, Pernell McPhee, Sam Acho, Kevin White (when healthy)

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 11:11 AM)
I was thinking this morning if Fox's gameplan even allows for them to blow a team out on their best day. It seems like he has resigned to having every game be close but what he has to give up is no complete dominance even when they are at their absolute best.

I know that isnt the case but it sure as hell seems like it.

I think while he'll always be conservative, he's extra conservative given our overall defensive personal. By the way, I think the way we run our offense, just wears teams down late and long-term should work out to help us win a lot of close games. I also think it will work well in the elements as well. I like the fact that we are trying to bring back the physicality. The Chargers had no chance to stop us in that fourth quarter. We were going to move the ball and move the chains and make them work. I can't figure out how we haven't gotten a 3rd down TD though. That has got to change.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
I can appreciate the sentiment, but you guys are getting excited about beating/losing closely to bad teams. Actual playoff teams they've been pretty non-competitive. I mean, sure, they're not getting crushed like the pats/packers games like last year, but that's when the franchise basically bottomed out.

The Chargers are a few points from having a very good record. They were beat up and we should have beaten them by double-digits, but they aren't terrible and they have Phillip Rivers who is better then most QB's in this league and is on pace to throw for 5500 yards (or was entering last night).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)

Actual playoff games. I don't count the Seahawks game cause it was with Pickles at the helm. Against Arizona, prior to Pickles going out, we were right in the game. We were winning in the 2nd half against the Packers. We beat the Chiefs (who are widely considered one of the better teams with a losing record)...Raiders have played pretty solid this year and that was a quality win as well. Vikings are a playoff team if the season ended (and should have beat them). Lions are bad and it was a bad loss (our defense still isn't very good...no one would argue with you on that).

Last year, while the record might have been similar, we were getting absolutely destroyed. This team is clearly playing significantly better and headed in the right direction and we have multiple new pieces on defense that look like potential building blocks, plus cap space and more draft picks this year. This thing wasn't going to happen overnight but a lot of positives thus far in the process.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Chris De Luca ‏@ChrisDeLuca 11m11 minutes ago Chicago, IL

#Breaking

#Bears Tayo Fabuluje suspended without pay for next four games for violating the NFL policy on performance enhancing substances.

Funny since I commented about him earlier today. At least he's working on getting stronger, haha.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)
The players alone that Pace has brought in all look to at least be contributors in some sort of way.

Goldman, Langford, Grassu, Amos (arguably already a top 10 safety), Janoris Jenkins, Pernell McPhee, Sam Acho, Kevin White (when healthy)

This would be awesome if this is the case but I don't think anyone has really seen enough of him to make that proclamation. What has he really done so far other than not get exploited out there like the past decade of Bear Safeties? I am seriously asking because maybe he has done more than I have seen.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:19 PM)
This would be awesome if this is the case but I don't think anyone has really seen enough of him to make that proclamation. What has he really done so far other than not get exploited out there like the past decade of Bear Safeties? I am seriously asking because maybe he has done more than I have seen.

He's getting a lot of love. Shea has also gotten a lot of love from the analytical peeps (on an unrelated note). Amos though is legitimately playing like one of the top 10 players at his position. He needs to take steps forward though and our defense needs to start making plays. We lack a consistent pass rush and partially due to that (also largely due to a craptacular secondary), lack turnovers / big plays. However, add an impact FA and ideally an impact draft pick or two (along with other guys taking steps forward) and that could change relatively quickly.

Porter is the one corner we have who seems to make plays. Ball is awful and it makes me sad everytime I see him cause I think of how we could have Peanut, who would just be a great vet to have around these kids. Not saying Peanut is good at this point (he did have a pick last week), but he is arguably my favorite defensive player in franchise history.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:42 PM)
Bears are so far away right now, it's hard to say when they will be a playoff team again.

Especially on the defensive side. They have nothing, maybe one or two players.

Offense is better, but still so far away.

If you believe smart people, the Bears are two drafts away from being right in it. They have a quarterback, which certainly helps and the NFL rebuild isn't like baseball; it happens quickly.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
If you believe smart people, the Bears are two drafts away from being right in it. They have a quarterback, which certainly helps and the NFL rebuild isn't like baseball; it happens quickly.

Sure, most teams with a half way decent QB are two drafts away from being good.

You have to hit on those drafts.

They need another safety, 2 ILB, OLB, 2 CB and probably at least one DE/DL on defense.

Offense needs a tackle, either left or right depending where Long ends up. Another WR and possibly a TE depending on what happens with Bennett.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 04:22 PM)
They need another safety (Yes for sure), 2 ILB, OLB (Thats a whole lot to ask but they do need this), 2 CB (I would say 1, Porter and Fuller can hold it down) and probably at least one DE/DL on defense (Yes never enough lineman).

Offense needs a tackle (I am okay with Kyle and Leno holding down the tackle spots), either left or right depending where Long ends up. Another WR and possibly a TE depending on what happens with Bennett (My guess is Bennett is back,he has really been compliant and has done what the staff has asked even though it may have hurt his catch total).

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:57 PM)

Jarvis Jenkins

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 06:05 PM)
Jarvis Jenkins

Thank you, my bad.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:55 PM)
I like Adrian Amos, but I don't see him being called a top 10 S anywhere. If he is that'd be seriously great though.

He has been excellent in run defense all year, and I believe I read a stat a couple weeks back that he's only allowed 2 catches from opposing players when guarding them.