2015-2016 NFL Thread

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
Jesus you people can drink the kool-aid with the best of them.

I never said we were a superbowl team (presume you are talking about my post). I think our defense is awful (don't care what the stats say) but we are scheming well and are making major improvements. We also have seen very nice strides out of 3 late round picks (Leno - Last year 7th rounder, Langford, and Amos) while our 2nd round pick has looked solid (still don't know where he stands but he isn't an immediate bust like Bostic or Greene). Our C (3rd round pick) is hurt and the book is fully out on him. And I couldn't even tell you what our 6th rounder is doing. We obviously have no idea about White, but it seems like we found some players in the later round, which is huge.

While I'm pissed we lost 2 of the games we did, I couldn't be more pleased with the direction of this franchise. The fact that Jay is making strides is also great because it buys the front office time to find a QB. I don't want to find myself in QB hell like some teams find themselves in. I'm not saying Jay is great and I think the great think with this front office is, they can keep Jay for a couple years while still aggressively targeting the next QB of the franchise.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:34 AM)
A makeshift offensive line has been a consistent trend with the Bears in recent years. They can't seem to keep a line group healthy long enough to get some cohesion.

This one has been a hell of a lot more productive then others. Part of that is scheme and I think Jay deserves a lot of credit their as well. He's been fantastic under pressure and just having strong pocket awareness, which historically has been a mega weakness of his. No idea if this sticks long-term or if it is just a small sample size, but Jay has been ascending thus far in the season and I sure as s*** hope it continues.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 12:34 PM)
Jesus you people can drink the kool-aid with the best of them.

Acknowledging that you are seeing improvement isnt drinking koolaid. Nobody here is saying that the Bears are going to the Superbowl, or even the playoffs

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:39 PM)
While I'm pissed we lost 2 of the games we did, I couldn't be more pleased with the direction of this franchise. The fact that Jay is making strides is also great because it buys the front office time to find a QB. I don't want to find myself in QB hell like some teams find themselves in. I'm not saying Jay is great and I think the great think with this front office is, they can keep Jay for a couple years while still aggressively targeting the next QB of the franchise.

It is hard for me to be upset about the losses to Minnesota and Detroit because while those were winnable and would have put the Bears in the playoff hunt they clearly aren't a team capable of winning the Super Bowl or making noise in the playoffs. Plus, they just as easily could have lost all 3 games to the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers so 3-5 is probably about right for this team. 5-3 was doable based on how they played but they could also easily be 0-8.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 10:54 AM)
It is hard for me to be upset about the losses to Minnesota and Detroit because while those were winnable and would have put the Bears in the playoff hunt they clearly aren't a team capable of winning the Super Bowl or making noise in the playoffs. Plus, they just as easily could have lost all 3 games to the Raiders, Chiefs and Chargers so 3-5 is probably about right for this team. 5-3 was doable based on how they played but they could also easily be 0-8.

Completely agree. That said, I think we are a better team then the Lions and I actually think we are as good as the Vikings (who I think are overrated, mainly because I think their offense is still pretty poor...defense is good). However, I'm not a believer of rooting for a team to lose in football. I think it is important to win games and build a winning culture. So I would hate it if we lost like 8 straight games to get the top pick. I'd rather win and be competitive and start building that culture and get a pick in the 7-12 range, which is probably where we will end up (if I were to guess).

The only potential exception would be if an "Andrew" Luck were available or if you are only winning because you have cruddy veterans who aren't even going to be around in a year. When you are winning because your young players and core pieces are making strides, it is a great thing, imo.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:08 PM)
5-3 basically asks they had won every close game. I'm surprised there hasn't been a game where they put it all together and ice a team.

I was thinking this morning if Fox's gameplan even allows for them to blow a team out on their best day. It seems like he has resigned to having every game be close but what he has to give up is no complete dominance even when they are at their absolute best.

I know that isnt the case but it sure as hell seems like it.

It certainly seems like a big strategy to cover up defenses limitations is to own time of possession as much as possible. It makes sense, as last year the team would be behind 30-0 at halftime in large part due to so many unsustained drives in the first quarter.

Honestly, my criticism is just that every piece seems to have improved, but the whole really hasn't that step forward I would expect. Our running is better, I like more of our passing game, I like our pass blocking better, but...still kinda the same point production.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)
Honestly, my criticism is just that every piece seems to have improved, but the whole really hasn't that step forward I would expect. Our running is better, I like more of our passing game, I like our pass blocking better, but...still kinda the same point production.

Without the opposition putting up back to back fifty point games though. Really, outside of the Cardinals game the Bears defense has been alright. They actually hung with the Packers for most of the game. Im not gonna put the Seattle game iinto the discussion because that was just the perfect storm of everyone being injured.

Its not that the production is much better in all three phases (it is) but the team actually has an identity and is MUCH more organized and purposeful. Under the last several regimes it was a bonehead team with little to no idea of what type of team it is. If you cannot see that then you should stick to watching your fantasy team and red zone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:31 PM)

That's basically where i'm at. While my Cutler hate is still strong, I just don't see THAT much improvement, even considering the injuries and whatnot. I expected a noticeable jump. What i've seen is some pretty terrible playcalling at times, conservative decision making by Fox, and basically the exact same results. They're in the bottom class of the league, a few plays away from being 0-8.

Going forward what's there to be super excited about? Almost the entire defense still needs to be replaced save for a spot or two on the D-line. The offense has the potential to be good, and it still has weapons, but it's going to be limited to "good" because of Cutler. He's still the same guy - some good, some bad, mostly just ok.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)
That's basically where i'm at. While my Cutler hate is still strong, I just don't see THAT much improvement, even considering the injuries and whatnot. I expected a noticeable jump. What i've seen is some pretty terrible playcalling at times, conservative decision making by Fox, and basically the exact same results. They're in the bottom class of the league, a few plays away from being 0-8.

Going forward what's there to be super excited about? Almost the entire defense still needs to be replaced save for a spot or two on the D-line. The offense has the potential to be good, and it still has weapons, but it's going to be limited to "good" because of Cutler. He's still the same guy - some good, some bad, mostly just ok.

Last night they won with a patchwork Oline, a rookie RB and Marc Mariani starting at one WR spot. What weapons are we talking about offensively?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 01:58 PM)

again, no one is super excited about everything. Just happy that they arent getting kicked in the face like they were in the trestman era. I get it, you just want everything to be pointing upwards and no holes, but goddamn give them some time to fix it and recognize that this isnt the same thing you were seeing last season.

And a few plays from being 0-8 is the same as a few plays from being 5-3. They are 3-5 right now, i dont think they are making the playoffs but I am happy that they arent completely lost and out classed every time they step on the field

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:04 PM)
Last night they won with a patchwork Oline, a rookie RB and Marc Mariani starting at one WR spot. What weapons are we talking about offensively?

Well next year you'll hopefully still have Jeffrey, Bennett, and HOPEFULLY a stud WR in White. The line is still competent, even if injured on occasion. It's not the bottomless pit it was 5 years ago. And you'll hopefully still have Forte. I'm sure most teams around the league would take that.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
again, no one is super excited about everything. Just happy that they arent getting kicked in the face like they were in the trestman era. I get it, you just want everything to be pointing upwards and no holes, but goddamn give them some time to fix it and recognize that this isnt the same thing you were seeing last season.

And a few plays from being 0-8 is the same as a few plays from being 5-3. They are 3-5 right now, i dont think they are making the playoffs but I am happy that they arent completely lost and out classed every time they step on the field

I can appreciate the sentiment, but you guys are getting excited about beating/losing closely to bad teams. Actual playoff teams they've been pretty non-competitive. I mean, sure, they're not getting crushed like the pats/packers games like last year, but that's when the franchise basically bottomed out.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)
I can appreciate the sentiment, but you guys are getting excited about beating/losing closely to bad teams. Actual playoff teams they've been pretty non-competitive. I mean, sure, they're not getting crushed like the pats/packers games like last year, but that's when the franchise basically bottomed out.

So seeing an improvement from last year (as well as the last several regimes) in basically every facet of the organization is nothing to be excited about?

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:16 PM)

seriously man, all you do is b****. im done

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:17 PM)
So seeing an improvement from last year (as well as the last several regimes) in basically every facet of the organization is nothing to be excited about?

No, I think hiring a professional coach who knows how to put out a respectable, professional looking team (that still isn't good) is what you hired Fox to do. I don't get the gushing over him or the 100% faith that he'll turn this mess around. I know you guys aren't saying this is a playoff team or they're going to the superbowl next year. But I'll refrain from being excited until they actually win some tough games and not meet the "we're not embarrassing anymore" bar.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 10, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)

The Bears are trending in the right direction with a team devoid of talent, no depth, and a ton of injuries. This is exactly why you should be optimistic. Add to that two first round picks next year (white and 2016 pick) plus some free agent targets, you have a team that could actually compete for the playoffs.