white sox claim kyle drabek

Whisox05

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 27, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)
Maybe Rock or Bucket could speak to this but I have a buddy that knows a coach that's been around for awhile. He gets stuff every once in awhile. He said that Sox tried to get Drabek for Floyd and Danks. It's kind of like KW always loved Betances. There are certain guys that you hear about occasionally. Drabek may be a shell of his former self but it's still interesting.

Cool info and boy what a star-crossed trio of arms that trade would have involved.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This coming June 15th, he'll be three years removed from his 2nd TJ surgery....so he's had about 1 1/2 seasons of recovery time.

Pitching style

Drabek throws a four-seam fastball clocked between 90–96 mph, a curveball in the 79–83 mph range, a cutter with a velocity between 89–95 mph, and a changeup in the 83–86 mph range. Drabek is known for his extremely poor control at times and at one point, he led the league in walks.[36]

wikipedia

This one screams Don Cooper...

Drabek, who was out of options and could not be sent to the Minors without clearing waivers, appeared in 30 games with the Blue Jays over the course of five seasons. He went 8-15 with a 5.27 ERA while striking out 118 over 172 1/3 innings. His biggest issue was a lack of command with 111 walks over that same period of time which often led to moments of visible frustration on the mound.

www.mlb.com

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 02:58 PM)
This coming June 15th, he'll be three years removed from his 2nd TJ surgery....so he's had about 1 1/2 seasons of recovery time.

Pitching style

Drabek throws a four-seam fastball clocked between 90–96 mph, a curveball in the 79–83 mph range, a cutter with a velocity between 89–95 mph, and a changeup in the 83–86 mph range. Drabek is known for his extremely poor control at times and at one point, he led the league in walks.[36]

wikipedia

Drabek, who was out of options and could not be sent to the Minors without clearing waivers, appeared in 30 games with the Blue Jays over the course of five seasons. He went 8-15 with a 5.27 ERA while striking out 118 over 172 1/3 innings. His biggest issue was a lack of command with 111 walks over that same period of time which often led to moments of visible frustration on the mound.

www.mlb.com

i am not in a mood to read anymore, this was a patent JR's move, help out those who were nice to him and the club.

don't get me wrong, on this, it is a great move.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)
So can Drabek pitch right now? If so, he's got 10 days to show something. Making this bullpen isn't exactly a high bar.

If Johnson is showing defensive lapses, then send him down and play Sanchez. They are probably rushing him, if only a tad, anyway.

I don't know if i agree with that move if its based on 40 man spots. Have the best players play, kyle drabek isn't worth that.

QUOTE (LDF @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 01:59 PM)
yes, b/c of lack of catching in the minors system. that is the only reason.

Well they could have come up with someone better. 2014 was a lost season from the start, so they just used a roster spot to cop a prospect from the nats.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 07:18 PM)
Well they could have come up with someone better. 2014 was a lost season from the start, so they just used a roster spot to cop a prospect from the nats.

exactly, the sox had the ability to do that last yr. not this yr.

but to come with a better player in general for the catching pos, it would entail the sox to spend money.

hence another yr of dumpster diving.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 09:58 AM)

Pitching style

wikipedia

www.mlb.com

I'll be curious to see where the problem is... over throwing? Repeating mechanics? Bad mechanics?

QUOTE (oldsox @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 04:39 PM)
Drabek was the player Toronto got when they traded Roy Halladay to Phillies. He pitched 7 innings so far this spring.

And a tag line of 2 ER, 7 hits, 7Ks, 3BB and 1 HR. I have no idea of the circumstances or the velocity or anything.

Still, not too bad

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Mar 28, 2015 -> 06:22 PM)
And a tag line of 2 ER, 7 hits, 7Ks, 3BB and 1 HR. I have no idea of the circumstances or the velocity or anything.

Still, not too bad

His curveball was considered ahead of his fastball (you see a range of anywhere between 90-96 once upon a time) because of the lack of movement on that pitch, certainly couldn't get away with it in the low 90's.

A third piece of news was that Roberto Osuna and Miguel Castro were asked to head into John Gibbons‘s office together, presumably to learn that they were going to make the team and would be added to the 40-man roster. bluejaysfromaway.com

Roster numbers shuffle...two pitchers the Jays liked more.

Of course, that happened before, the Pirates thought Marte was garbage and let him go to us for Guerrier (who actually ended up having almost as good a career when all was said and done, mostly with the Twins).

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010/03...scouting-report

From back in 2010, two years before his second Tommy John

Watching from the time his hands separate, a potential issue develops as his stride foot lands before he completes his arm circle. His arm is far from up as he begins his turn. This causes a significant amount of stress on the shoulder, as he has to work hard to get his arm in a position to throw. To compensate for the amount of effort he employs to get his arm up and maintain velocity, Drabek naturally leans to the first base side of the mound. This helps to force his arm to a fully cocked position, and thus ready it to deliver the pitch. By leaning drastically to compensate for his late arm action, his balance is compromised.

Looking at his mechanics as a whole, Drabek's arm enters the driveline drastically late, enough so to effect his balance and ability to locate his pitches. This is an issue that also causes plenty of stress on a shoulder, which makes me wonder about his ability to stay healthy enough to handle a starter's workload.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 29, 2015 -> 03:04 PM)
Charlotte rotation could actually be pretty fun with Rodon, Drabek, Beck, and Johnson.

i think that will be a really nice rotation..... i forgot, where is Danish going to pitch??