The White Sox bullpen is nails

Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
Of course, for the 10 millionth time, you don't address the fact that even with David Robertson's incredible start, the overall team bullpen WHIP isn't even in the top half of major league teams...we're on the outside looking in at most of the top 10 bullpen categories....so you just say something inane like "it's true because I said it's true" and then expect what?

We should just take your word for it because of David Robertson's incredible pitching performance today being extrapolated well beyond into something it is not, at least not yet?

It's not about getting upset. It's simply the fact that we're not even 20 games into the season...it's like someone said in a thread before the Sale start, guaranteeing a win, you just can't afford to take anything for granted.

Because, as Hawk Harrelson says, as soon as you start to do that, it will come right back up and bite you in the butt.

11 IP

8 hits

1 run

0 walks

15 strikeouts

And not even 20 games into the season? The guy who posted after 3 games said the Sox had less than 3% chance of making the playoffs. LMAO

If the Sox bullpen is as bad as you say, good night Royals.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:16 PM)
You don't enjoy White Sox players. When you talk about WAR, you can mention 25 failed prospects but totally forget the most successful.

Once again....what gives you the right to assume what other posters do and do not like?

The list I made, at least 10-12 of those names have had quite solid MLB careers, so how are they all failed prospects? I don't get your point.

Did I not predict Gordon Beckham would hit over .270 this year? I notice you didn't say anything about that, or when I was right that he would continue to struggle with perceived pressure to perform on him in a "make or break" contract year last season (if he wanted that $5-6 million deal for 2015 from the Sox).

I dunno I feel pretty damn good about the pen right now compared to last year's arguably "worst in baseball" -- simply "solid with upside to be good" is nice.

Robertson has been one of the best closers in baseball for half a dozen years he's not going to turn into a pumpkin at 30. Duke's story is well known and he's been very effective as well early. A good closer and setup guy can paper over a lot of other weaknesses. But right now the Sox have a lot of guys that are throwing strikes even down to the 5th and 6th guys.

At a certain point yea they are going to regress but just enjoy that what they've done already counts. Imagine if Robertson had blown 1 or 2 of these games but that's why they gave him 50 million isn't it? There is value at the margins and elite closers are worth paying. So far, Hahn's pen makeover looks good.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:27 PM)
11 IP

8 hits

1 run

0 walks

15 strikeouts

If the Sox bullpen is as bad as you say, good night Royals.

Once, again...hyperbole.

I didn't say they were bad...they're above average. But to say they're anything close to "nails" or elite or whatever other adjectives you'd like to throw at their description, that's far from accurate as well.

Other than David Robertson, who, exactly is it that you're describing in the bullpen as being "nails"?

Maybe Putnam for stretches last year...but we're in 2015 now. Duke had a great stretch last year as well...but that was 2014, and in an entirely different league.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:44 PM)
Another thing, maybe we want to actually get to .500 before we start considering any aspect of our team "elite" maybe.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128

Maybe when we enter the Top 10 in the majors for bullpen ERA, for example...or top 3-5.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...ded/order/false

Opposing OPS, 9th.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/p...ded/order/false

WHIP, just 17th.

Not nails.

At least not yet. Once again, if they put up KC's numbers for the next 15-20 games, we can revisit this thread again.

Let's not confuse ROBERTSON is the truth and conflate it with the rest of the pen, because if you strip out his numbers we're a bottom 1/3rd bullpen surely.

Meh Kyle Drabek and Rodon's shaky debut skew those numbers a little. Robertson has been dominant, but Duke and Jennings have good stats too and that's with the defense screwing them both over several times. Petricka and Albers have also looked good in small sample sizes, and since giving up the HR Putnam has been solid. This pen has been light years better than last year's pen so far.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:28 PM)
Once again....what gives you the right to assume what other posters do and do not like?

The list I made, at least 10-12 of those names have had quite solid MLB careers, so how are they all failed prospects? I don't get your point.

Did I not predict Gordon Beckham would hit over .270 this year? I notice you didn't say anything about that, or when I was right that he would continue to struggle with perceived pressure to perform on him in a "make or break" contract year last season (if he wanted that $5-6 million deal for 2015 from the Sox).

There it is A Gordon Beckham mention.

The Royals drop 2 in a day and Caulfield is in full meltdown.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:31 PM)
There it is A Gordon Beckham mention.

The Royals drop 2 in a day and Caulfield is in full meltdown.

Seriously, this is enough.

Please PM Marty or TUC or something. There's no point in even trying to discuss anything in a sane or rational manner with you anymore.

Good luck.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:30 PM)
Once, again...hyperbole.

I didn't say they were bad...they're above average. But to say they're anything close to "nails" or elite or whatever other adjectives you'd like to throw at their description, that's far from accurate as well.

Other than David Robertson, who, exactly is it that you're describing in the bullpen as being "nails"?

Maybe Putnam for stretches last year...but we're in 2015 now. Duke had a great stretch last year as well...but that was 2014, and in an entirely different league.

Hyperbole? Those numbers are fact.

THEY ARE 5TH IN THE AL IN ERA AND 4TH IN OPPONENT OPS.

They play in a hitter's park. Jesus man, wtf else do you want? And who cares about the NL can't compare the stats no DH. They are upper tier in the AL after being arguably the worst pen in the AL last year.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

Just looking at this:

CL - Robertson

SU - Duke

SU - Petricka

MR - Putnam

MR - Jennings

MR - Rodon

LR - Carroll

Albers and Guerra are on the DL, but can come back soon.

Crain and Jones can hopefully be back mid-season.

Then a plethora of minor league arms that seem like that are growing.

Night and day from last year.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:35 PM)
Just looking at this:

CL - Robertson

SU - Duke

SU - Petricka

MR - Putnam

MR - Jennings

MR - Rodon

LR - Carroll

Albers and Guerra are on the DL, but can come back soon.

Crain and Jones can hopefully be back mid-season.

Then a plethora of minor league arms that seem like that are growing.

Night and day from last year.

Exactly. Pretty much what Hahn said would happen -- that signing Duke and Robertson would line everything up -- is happening. I like it. I am excited for this pen it could be a real asset with how guys are throwing. Hopefully the offense can take some pressure off along the way as well.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:34 PM)
THEY ARE 5TH IN THE AL IN ERA AND 4TH IN OPPONENT OPS.

They play in a hitter's park. Jesus man, wtf else do you want? And who cares about the NL can't compare the stats no DH. They are upper tier in the AL after being arguably the worst pen in the AL last year.

What has the weather been like in April?

The ball carries in USCF a lot differently in the summer months (June-August) than April through mid-May and mid to late September.

Many of those balls coming up just short at the fence, like the one Melky Cabrera speared, are going to be homers instead.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:38 PM)

The ball carries in USCF a lot differently in the summer months (June-August) than April through mid-May and mid to late September.

Many of those balls coming up just short at the fence, like the one Melky Cabrera speared, are going to be homers instead.

LOL. You are resorting to blaming the weather. The facts are the facts the pen has been good.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 08:41 PM)
I would be more than happy to come back to this argument in the two weeks before the trade deadline in July.

There will be enough of Hawk's sample size to start drawing some real conclusions about this pretty unpredictable team.

You are the one that said the season was over after 3 games. Now you put down Hawk's sample size.

This is hysterical. Caulfield and the Royals are simultaneously cracking.

QUOTE (Brian @ Apr 26, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
Just hope Joe Morgan keeps his mouth shut.

Any Sox fan knows when he gets too confident, bad things ALMOST ALWAYS follow.

In 2005, I think everyone was breathing such a sigh of relief to make it and not choke away one of the biggest leads in history that it was just a completely relaxed feeling...so different than all of the past battles with the Twins where you'd want to throw Bobby Jenks or Carlos Gomez off a bridge after a bad loss, or Matt Thornton.

It's almost like playing other teams like the Red Sox and Angels allowed them to get into that zone and away from all that Piranha-Mania and Ozzie allowing those guys to get into his head.

When expectations start to rise, performance has always suffered...so I tend to just hope for the best and not be surprised by the worst. Pragmatic/realistic. And it's MUCH easier having been through 2005 and also getting married and starting a family.

Back then, when you're younger, those games are nearly life and death.

Ball was carrying today. Gordon's homer shouldn't have went out. The ball melky caught felt like it just kept going.