Midseason Additions

Y2Jimmy0

If the White Sox do make any moves at the deadline, assuming they are sellers, I would like to see the Sox acquire young ML ready players and not established veterans.

I would like for the team to avoid dipping into the farm in any deal.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 10:33 PM)
If the White Sox do make any moves at the deadline, assuming they are sellers, I would like to see the Sox acquire young ML ready players and not established veterans.

I would like for the team to avoid dipping into the farm in any deal.

whether b/c of necessities or b/c they are sellers or buyers at the deadline. they, the sox org needs to address the holes that is becoming a major concern.

i look at the FA rt and i don't see the help there. i keep staring at the milb for the sox prospects and i really don't see it.

the sox have no choice but it may need to trade for them. the only assets the sox may have for this possible trade is using the farm.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 05:41 PM)
whether b/c of necessities or b/c they are sellers or buyers at the deadline. they, the sox org needs to address the holes that is becoming a major concern.

i look at the FA rt and i don't see the help there. i keep staring at the milb for the sox prospects and i really don't see it.

the sox have no choice but it may need to trade for them. the only assets the sox may have for this possible trade is using the farm.

You're going to deal from the farm, which you alluded to as being a weakness and make it weaker by dealing whatever valuable prospects that you have? That doesn't make too much sense to me, the Sox should be holding on to all their prospects while they build up the farm through the draft and INTL FA as they get to a point where the system is overflowing with prospects.

The Sox have guys right now on the ML roster who could net them some very solid returns at the deadline. While nobody is untouchable, if I am Rick Hahn the only players that I am holding on to are Sale, Abreu and Rodon, everyone else is to be had at the right deal.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 11:55 PM)
You're going to deal from the farm, which you alluded to as being a weakness and make it weaker by dealing whatever valuable prospects that you have? That doesn't make too much sense to me, the Sox should be holding on to all their prospects while they build up the farm through the draft and INTL FA as they get to a point where the system is overflowing with prospects.

The Sox have guys right now on the ML roster who could net them some very solid returns at the deadline. While nobody is untouchable, if I am Rick Hahn the only players that I am holding on to are Sale, Abreu and Rodon, everyone else is to be had at the right deal.

so you are going to tear apart the mlb team to go and acquire these holes the system needs. i am still making the point this team, still have to rebound. we, as fans do not know when or if they will rebound.

next point, prospects, any prospects still have odds on whether they will make it or not. second, there is a time line that needs to be considered, next yr. so how long would you wait to address these holes via the minor league system, or via the int'l route?

the last point, every one says or have said, the sox do not have the financial horses to address these holes via fa, so how will you fix these holes.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 3, 2015 -> 06:07 PM)
so you are going to tear apart the mlb team to go and acquire these holes the system needs. i am still making the point this team, still have to rebound. we, as fans do not know when or if they will rebound.

next point, prospects, any prospects still have odds on whether they will make it or not. second, there is a time line that needs to be considered, next yr. so how long would you wait to address these holes via the minor league system, or via the int'l route?

the last point, every one says or have said, the sox do not have the financial horses to address these holes via fa, so how will you fix these holes.

I'm not tearing down the ML team, Im trading where I have a surplus of talent, which for the Sox is their starting rotation. Like I said I wouldn't trade Sale and Rodon (and Abreu), that's leaves Danks, Shark and Q. Each of those three guys could give you something back and help make your team by bring in talent to the system and filing some of those holes.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:29 AM)
I'm not tearing down the ML team, Im trading where I have a surplus of talent, which for the Sox is their starting rotation. Like I said I wouldn't trade Sale and Rodon (and Abreu), that's leaves Danks, Shark and Q. Each of those three guys could give you something back and help make your team by bring in talent to the system and filing some of those holes.

no wants Danks...... plain and simple.

trading Shark and Q right now, you might as well tear apart the team, the sox do not have replacement players for 2 sp's.

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:34 AM)
no wants Danks...... plain and simple.

trading Shark and Q right now, you might as well tear apart the team, the sox do not have replacement players for 2 sp's.

I think Q is the key. I agree w LDF that Danks will only bring salary relief. Shark brings a return but he is a short term rental and as such might bring 1 player back in return. I think Q can bring a couple of players back that could hopefully fill some holes. But that opens a rotation spot and if you don't sign shark it means 2 next year.

I was hoping the Sox could offer Q to Boston since they needed a lefty starter and always have a bunch of prospects available. But they called up a young lefty who has thrown 2 straight wins so I think they need to find another trade partner.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:37 PM)
I think Q is the key. I agree w LDF that Danks will only bring salary relief. Shark brings a return but he is a short term rental and as such might bring 1 player back in return. I think Q can bring a couple of players back that could hopefully fill some holes. But that opens a rotation spot and if you don't sign shark it means 2 next year.

I was hoping the Sox could offer Q to Boston since they needed a lefty starter and always have a bunch of prospects available. But they called up a young lefty who has thrown 2 straight wins so I think they need to find another trade partner.

there is other options that can be used to get the sox players, but i rather keep the parent club intact. i am still holding out for a rebound this season. not sure how good of a rebound it will be.

there are team now that needs help, Hou, Mil, Cincy, Col, Arz. even Tor. now how valid of an offer they will they present to entice the sox org, now that is a different story.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 06:37 AM)

I've often wondered about trading Q but his contract is pretty good and we'd have to replace him with who??? with him we kinda know what we're getting and at a good price, but still for the right offer?? Shark has disappointed me so far an if need be I'd trade him at the deadline. Unless he really turns it around I don't think he'll be getting any 100+ million$ offers but who knows in today's market.

QUOTE (AlSoxfan @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:39 AM)
I've often wondered about trading Q but his contract is pretty good and we'd have to replace him with who??? with him we kinda know what we're getting and at a good price, but still for the right offer?? Shark has disappointed me so far an if need be I'd trade him at the deadline. Unless he really turns it around I don't think he'll be getting any 100+ million$ offers but who knows in today's market.

Quintana would bring a huge package because of his performance combined with his contract. He would bring back more then anyone not named Sale on this roster.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:43 AM)
Quintana would bring a huge package because of his performance combined with his contract. He would bring back more then anyone not named Sale on this roster.

Quintana was a 5 WAR pitcher last year and has a great contract. There is no reason to trade him. SS is right though, it would take an absolute haul to get Q. 2-3 system top 10's and at least 1 top 50 prospect. Probably even more.

Edited by Y2JImmy0

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 10:49 AM)
Quintana was a 5 WAR pitcher last year and has a great contract. There is no reason to trade him. SS is right though, it would take an absolute haul to get Q. 2-3 system top 10's and at least 1 top 50 prospect. Probably even more.

There is no reason to trade him right, that is for sure. Just speaking to his value. Though it is an interesting thought when you think of it in the terms that his value will never be higher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:04 PM)
There is no reason to trade him right, that is for sure. Just speaking to his value. Though it is an interesting thought when you think of it in the terms that his value will never be higher.

If Q is your #3 starter behind Sale and Rodon next year, you have to see what he could bring on the open market. Suppose he could bring back 2 top prosects ( ML or AAA). If Q brought back say a catcher and a 5th starter or a 2B and an oufielder you may need to go that route to fill two holes from a depth position. Now if Rodon or Sale drop off, you cannot consider it. I think you wait till the offseason and see what you get for Shark this summer and what you may see in any call-ups in September. If one of the young pitchers in the ssystem looks like they could work into the rotation next year that is another plus.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 11:41 AM)
If Q is your #3 starter behind Sale and Rodon next year, you have to see what he could bring on the open market. Suppose he could bring back 2 top prosects ( ML or AAA). If Q brought back say a catcher and a 5th starter or a 2B and an oufielder you may need to go that route to fill two holes from a depth position. Now if Rodon or Sale drop off, you cannot consider it. I think you wait till the offseason and see what you get for Shark this summer and what you may see in any call-ups in September. If one of the young pitchers in the ssystem looks like they could work into the rotation next year that is another plus.

I disagree. What's wrong with having 2 aces and a #2? All 3 of which are bargains for next 6 seasons. I'm not trading Q unless I get a ton in return.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
I disagree. What's wrong with having 2 aces and a #2? All 3 of which are bargains for next 6 seasons. I'm not trading Q unless I get a ton in return.

many options..... this is what is present for next yr. the problems with all this enthusiasm is first, lets Rodon fully develop and then lets see what the sox have in him. also lets the sox see what is needed next offseson.

re Q, on the other hand, what we think his value is, and then what the rest of the baseball world thinks will be different.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 11:44 AM)

In all seriousness, unless Rick gets a Texeiria return, there is no point in listening to offers on Q.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:44 PM)

Nothing wrong. Actually it is a great position to be in. But what happens if we finish last again because of numerous holes on the offensive side. They probably have 1 trade chip in Shark but he is a rental and may bring 1 propect back. You referred to Q's WAR but it was not 5 last year. It was 5 in 13, 3.5 in 14 and is near even this year. I am not a huge WAR fan which is why I think Q still has major value. Now we know he has had some bad breaks but if he doesn't turn this season around, he would not bring a ton. Our offense/defense is bad. Those guys are not going to bring anything back via trades. So if the FA money is limited, then Q may be the only tradeable player that can fill more than 1 offensive shortcoming.

Edited by SCCWS

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)

It would have had to be as the main piece in acquiring someone like Donaldson.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)
It would have had to be as the main piece in acquiring someone like Donaldson.

I'm basically 100% confident that I would not have traded Quintana for the package the A's got for Donaldson last year. I'm pretty confident I wouldn't have traded Quintana for Donaldson last offseason either, although I'm a bit more iffy on that (people kept whispering about Donaldson's medicals as a reason why the A's moved an MVP candidate for less than he's worth so I'd have to wonder a bit on that). In other words, Donaldson would have been the main piece in a package acquiring Quintana, not the other way round.

Quintana's been more disappointing this year so I'd be a little more open, but still hesitant on even those, given the contract status of the players.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm basically 100% confident that I would not have traded Quintana for the package the A's got for Donaldson last year. I'm pretty confident I wouldn't have traded Quintana for Donaldson last offseason either, although I'm a bit more iffy on that (people kept whispering about Donaldson's medicals as a reason why the A's moved an MVP candidate for less than he's worth so I'd have to wonder a bit on that). In other words, Donaldson would have been the main piece in a package acquiring Quintana, not the other way round.

Quintana's been more disappointing this year so I'd be a little more open, but still hesitant on even those, given the contract status of the players.

Sale and Abreu are the only two players I wouldn't trade for Donaldson. Then or now. That is without any knowledge of health issues with Donaldson.

Trading Quintana would be filling a hole via tearing open a new one. The reason I wouldn't trade Quintana for a bat upgrade, even if it was a slightly better overall player, is because Quintana comes with that incredible contract. If you move him, you just bought 20 starts from Scott Carroll/Hector Noesi on top of your bat upgrade that probably costs more money and comes with less control than Quintana in the first place.

If we lose Shark & trade Quintana, who the f*** do people think will be in this rotation exactly? We have some #5 types in Danks, Beck, & Erik Johnson, but counting on more than one of those guys next year and you're not serious about competing.

Build around Sale, Rodon, & Quintana and find a way to keep Shark if the contract is right. As long as the rotation is strong, we'll never be that far away from competing.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 4, 2015 -> 08:26 PM)
If we lose Shark & trade Quintana, who the f*** do people think will be in this rotation exactly? We have some #5 types in Danks, Beck, & Erik Johnson, but counting on more than one of those guys next year and you're not serious about competing.

Build around Sale, Rodon, & Quintana and find a way to keep Shark if the contract is right. As long as the rotation is strong, we'll never be that far away from competing.

why not Penny??

i mean why else would the sox have signed him. another names is Drabek, Carroll, Noesi