Midseason Additions

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 02:25 PM)
Yeah, they have to get a catcher.

Tucker and Santana would be overkill.

Moran, Stassi and a minor league pitcher wouldn't be enough...unless you could also get Tucker or Santana.

Tucker could play of, dh or 1b next season.

But Quintana hasn't been so dominant this year to necessitate giving up so much when they can also get Hamels or Cueto for a lot less talent. Or Samardzija.

but the potential and the salary will make the difference.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)
The only way I am trading Quintana is for a guy like Nolan Arenado. Way too valuable to this organization to dump for prospect unknowns.

I like how you are thinking about this and would be ecstatic if the SOX made that deal. But if I was making decisions for Colorado I'd want Sale or Rodon for the 24 year old budding superstar Arenado. Rodon for Arenado ....mmmmmmmmmmmmm????? maybe.

QUOTE (jdupps @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 10:20 AM)
I like how you are thinking about this and would be ecstatic if the SOX made that deal. But if I was making decisions for Colorado I'd want Sale or Rodon for the 24 year old budding superstar Arenado. Rodon for Arenado ....mmmmmmmmmmmmm????? maybe.

I'd consider that trade as well

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
That return would not even be close to getting Q IMO. The Sox would demand a lot more than that.

The Sox have to get ML ready players if they do trade Q. Either players on ML roster and/or excelling at AAA in a position we need. Last winter I was hoping Sox could get Bogaerts and 1 of the young catchers from Boston for Q. But Boston would not do that now with their present situation.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 03:06 PM)
The Sox have to get ML ready players if they do trade Q. Either players on ML roster and/or excelling at AAA in a position we need. Last winter I was hoping Sox could get Bogaerts and 1 of the young catchers from Boston for Q. But Boston would not do that now with their present situation.

I agree. If a deal were to be made with Texas, I think the Sox would want Gallo and Chi Chi Gonzalez because they're more ML ready.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 08:24 PM)
I agree. If a deal were to be made with Texas, I think the Sox would want Gallo and Chi Chi Gonzalez because they're more ML ready.

tex..... i wouldn't want to be greedy but ask for prospects that will help and ones that tex would give up.

ss/of - Ryan Cordell - 23, wonder if he can def on ss, why not 3b , pitcher - Jose Leclerc - 21 yr, c- Tomas Telis - 23 yr

QUOTE (LDF @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 05:52 PM)
tex..... i wouldn't want to be greedy but ask for prospects that will help and ones that tex would give up.

ss/of - Ryan Cordell - 23, wonder if he can def on ss, why not 3b , pitcher - Jose Leclerc - 21 yr, c- Tomas Telis - 23 yr

Tellis would be a definite but the other two are not ML ready or really close.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Tellis would be a definite but the other two are not ML ready or really close.

maybe not this yr, but the 2 that i really am looking at is the ss/ and catcher.

Edited by LDF

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 5, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
Jen Lada ‏@JenLada 2m2 minutes ago

Hahn: as we sit here today our hope continues to be we're in a position to add & have reinforcements come to contribute for a champ'ship run

I used to approve of statements like this in never giving up on the season, only to see the team stink in August and September. I've learned when you have a sub-par team, that's a ridiculous stance to take. You just know this team is going to stagger in September again and you know it's not good enough to make the playoffs. Hahn has to know this. At the very least he should be planning a trade of Shark to start the ball rolling, and getting ready to finalize it.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 12, 2015 -> 10:08 PM)
I used to approve of statements like this in never giving up on the season, only to see the team stink in August and September. I've learned when you have a sub-par team, that's a ridiculous stance to take. You just know this team is going to stagger in September again and you know it's not good enough to make the playoffs. Hahn has to know this. At the very least he should be planning a trade of Shark to start the ball rolling, and getting ready to finalize it.

They aren't going to get enough value for Shark to trade him. They have 4 good starters and a good bullpen. They need offense and they will definitely try to compete next year. They won't be trading any of their newly added players. The only option is to upgrade the offense and try to get into the playoffs. They have a chance if they can get in with their pitching.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 01:33 AM)
Rick can't trade for a catcher fast enough. Jesus.

The one catcher I think can be really good that can't get any playing time right now would be Andrew Susac.

I would love for the Sox to acquire him and have him be the future behind the plate.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 04:50 AM)
They aren't going to get enough value for Shark to trade him. They have 4 good starters and a good bullpen. They need offense and they will definitely try to compete next year. They won't be trading any of their newly added players. The only option is to upgrade the offense and try to get into the playoffs. They have a chance if they can get in with their pitching.

but the sox will need to trade someone in order to get the players needed to fill in those holes. as much as i hate this, someone from the pitching staff will be needed to get those missing pieces.

now comes the question of who to trade.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 12:50 AM)

You are assuming they can afford to sign Shark then. But again, if you don't trade pitching , how wll you upgrade the offense. If this pitching staff/bullpen finishes .500 or less, unless the Sox spend on signing Shark plus a few FA position players, you will be in the same position next year. I am not sure you are going to see the payroll take another big jump next year if this team does not make the playoffs.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
You are assuming they can afford to sign Shark then. But again, if you don't trade pitching , how wll you upgrade the offense. If this pitching staff/bullpen finishes .500 or less, unless the Sox spend on signing Shark plus a few FA position players, you will be in the same position next year. I am not sure you are going to see the payroll take another big jump next year if this team does not make the playoffs.

excellent post.

you know, Danks pitched a good game yesterday. too bad the bats didn't wake the f~~~ up.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 08:13 AM)

We'll have to dive into our minor league system to upgrade the offense.

Let's say you can resign Shark to a 5 year extension, you'd essentially have him, Sale, Quintana, & Rodon until control for the next four years (five or more for everyone but Sale). All we would really need is a #5 starter for the foreseeable future, plus some depth in case of injury. Between Danks, Erik Johnson, Beck, and maybe even Junior Guerra we should be able to have that spot covered for 2016. With Fulmer likely to be a fast mover, AA prospects like Danish & Montas become very tradable assets right now. One of them combined with one of our better position prospects (anyone not named Anderson) and a solid secondary arm might be able to land you a nice upgrade at C or 3B with multiple years of team control.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 13, 2015 -> 01:51 PM)
We'll have to dive into our minor league system to upgrade the offense.

Let's say you can resign Shark to a 5 year extension, you'd essentially have him, Sale, Quintana, & Rodon until control for the next four years (five or more for everyone but Sale). All we would really need is a #5 starter for the foreseeable future, plus some depth in case of injury. Between Danks, Erik Johnson, Beck, and maybe even Junior Guerra we should be able to have that spot covered for 2016. With Fulmer likely to be a fast mover, AA prospects like Danish & Montas become very tradable assets right now. One of them combined with one of our better position prospects (anyone not named Anderson) and a solid secondary arm might be able to land you a nice upgrade at C or 3B with multiple years of team control.

re - Shark, based on his performance this yr, there is no way i would sign him, unless he comes in at 15 mil. a yr.

to max the rtn, esp for a major league ready cat and or 3b, some one like Q is going to be needed to be traded.

btw, i am not advocating this to be done, i am pointing out what will be needed to get it done.

Edited by LDF