Sit Melky, Play Shuck

Dunt

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Hotter bat, equal or better defense. Let Melky get his head straight for a few games. Whatever his approach is right now just isn't working.

I think down in the order is a good start. He's gotta stop swinging at the first pitch. I feel like you should only do that when you've been hot at the plate for a nice stretch.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 12:30 AM)
I think down in the order is a good start. He's gotta stop swinging at the first pitch. I feel like you should only do that when you've been hot at the plate for a nice stretch.

Its a start.... But, now Melky's average is down to .080 against lefties (versus .275 against righties). I see absolutely no reason to put him anywhere in the lineup against a lefty starter at this point (if you are serious about competing for anything).

QUOTE (Whitey @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 08:44 AM)
Its a start.... But, now Melky's average is down to .080 against lefties (versus .275 against righties). I see absolutely no reason to put him anywhere in the lineup against a lefty starter at this point (if you are serious about competing for anything).

Tell him to bat left handed all the time. He looks like a wanna be switch hitter.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
I do get a good laugh out of how our only solution for the 2 hole after Melky is the one guy who's hitting as bad as he is. I hate to say it, Gordon is probably the right answer

Alexei went 2 for 4 in the 2 hole last night. So you are not going to make another change for a week or so until you see if it sparks his bat.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 11:12 AM)
Alexei went 2 for 4 in the 2 hole last night. So you are not going to make another change for a week or so until you see if it sparks his bat.

He is too much a free swinger for the two hole. You need some guys with patience. Alexei had a good RBI chance in the 8th last night but had the most atrocious approach.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 11:18 AM)
Let Alexei hit #2 against left handed pitchers, and let Shuck hit #2 against right handed pitchers.

That would be a good solution to the problem.

Who would Shuck be playing instead of against RHP though?

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 01:41 PM)
Please, for the love of god, don't make Shuck a starter.

It is not making him a starter. It is playing him and Gordon while they are swinging a good bat. That means anyone hitting over .250. They started last night's game w 6 sub .250 hitters.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 01:13 PM)
It is not making him a starter. It is playing him and Gordon while they are swinging a good bat. That means anyone hitting over .250. They started last night's game w 6 sub .250 hitters.

They aren't going to platoon Melky or LaRoche.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Hotter bat, equal or better defense. Let Melky get his head straight for a few games. Whatever his approach is right now just isn't working.

steve stone actually took a question like this during the game yesterday and he clearly said shuck is a number four or five outfield guy and he knows it also.

QUOTE (venom4789 @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 02:40 PM)
steve stone actually took a question like this during the game yesterday and he clearly said shuck is a number four or five outfield guy and he knows it also.

A "good #4 outfielder" sometimes should be used to step in and play 3-4 days in a row if a guy genuinely needs a mental break. That doesn't seem like a bad move right now.

Just a local example - the Pirates had a couple struggling IFs earlier this year, Harrison and Mercer, so they gave each of them extended breaks with Kang taking their place for a bunch and suddenly both are hitting better and they've won 12/14.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Don't you need Melky to come around if you really want a shot at the division or a WC?

Yes. There are 2 ways to go about it. Have him play through it, or give him a few days or a day off to try to re-group. If he doesn't snap out of it soon, I am sure they will try another way. The beginning of this slump was when he was hitting rockets right at people. I am not giving up. Through 60 games in 1983, Carlton Fisk was putting up Tyler Flowers numbers minus the strikeouts. He almost won the MVP. Melky should get it going.

Is Melky this bad or is he going to get hot? I'd love to hear the opinion of either a scout or two or somebody on this board who is an expert at studying mechanics of at bats while also including advanced stats.

My naked eye tells me Melky sucks, but I'm willing to listen.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Jun 6, 2015 -> 02:08 PM)
Don't you need Melky to come around if you really want a shot at the division or a WC?

Yes.

Give him some rest now and then. But this idea that Shuck is an everyday player...happens ever time one of the bevy of utility players in this org. has a good week.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 12:04 AM)
Is Melky this bad or is he going to get hot? I'd love to hear the opinion of either a scout or two or somebody on this board who is an expert at studying mechanics of at bats while also including advanced stats.

My naked eye tells me Melky sucks, but I'm willing to listen.

He's hitting enough line drives that he should be better than this, some of these balls should be falling, but he's so far been a genuinely bad player.

One thing that stands out is that he's hitting balls in the air but his home run rate has cratered. It's kinda hard to think that won't recover...but with his background its hard to guarantee anything.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 8, 2015 -> 10:32 AM)
He's hitting enough line drives that he should be better than this, some of these balls should be falling, but he's so far been a genuinely bad player.

One thing that stands out is that he's hitting balls in the air but his home run rate has cratered. It's kinda hard to think that won't recover...but with his background its hard to guarantee anything.

Oh, it'll recover; most likely when he's wearing another team's jersey. At least that's the way it feels.