White Sox call up Tyler Saladino

Balta1701

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:00 PM)
Gillaspie can hit, though he can't play defense. However, Bonifacio can't do either.

Gillaspie should stay. Bonifacio should be released.

Bonifacio plays multiple positions(not all that great, i understand), conor plays one, and not well at all. IMO Conor goes first

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to keep in mind too... Saladino has played 3B, and can likely handle it given his tools, but he has only played 5 pro games there (426 at SS, 69 at 2B, 11 at 1B, 5 at 3B, 8 in LF). So I wouldn't expect him to be a LOT better than Gillaspie defensively, straight away.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
Maybe, but I am starting to get the feeling Gillapsie is next. They obviously don't like to put him in the field anymore. At least Bonifacio can PR.

Not that I think Connor is on great footing or anything, but EB has just disappeared into the void of the bench.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:02 PM)
Bonifacio plays multiple positions(not all that great, i understand), conor plays one, and not well at all. IMO Conor goes first

That's true. However, Bonifacio never plays, so what's the point of having him on the team?

There's no reason to have a guy rotting away on the bench when they never play.

Before everybody jumps in on the "I hate Rick Hahn because he signed Emilio Bonifacio" bandwagon, I would like to point out that many people on this board were asking for Bonifacio BEFORE he was signed this past off-season.

Myself, included.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)
Before everybody jumps in on the "I hate Rick Hahn because he signed Emilio Bonifacio" bandwagon, I would like to point out that many people on this board were asking for Bonifacio BEFORE he was signed this past off-season.

Myself, included.

I know I was asking for him.

Nobody would've thought that he'd be this bad and sparingly used.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)
That's true. However, Bonifacio never plays, so what's the point of having him on the team?

With the roster make up that we have, plus knowing we have three pitchers on rehab assignments, I have complete faith that this move is a test drive to see if Saladino can replace Bonifacio once any of the pitchers are ready to come back.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 09:49 AM)
Which is exactly why Beckham and Bonifacio were on the team to begin with.

I presume Beck's stays around (not that he deserves it per say but he does) and that Bon will be the odd man out. Both have stunk.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:05 PM)

If Gillaspie isn't going to play 3B, he will appear in games about as often as Bonifacio has. Maybe they could get something for Conor. For EB, nothing. I think they would be better off with a 25 year old in A ball with a 4,75 ERA who throws 99 and Bonifacio on the bench, th

I don't think they knew if they had a legit 4th OF in Shuck, or how Beckham would respond to to his utility role, and Bonafacio covered both, but since Shuck and Beckham have sufficiently filled their roles, and since Bonafacio has sucked so far, he just has no real role on the team anymore. I thought the Bonafacio signing was a good one when it happened, and I'm pretty sure I recall a number of posters asking for the signing before it actually happened, so I don't think it was a bad move by Hahn at the time. It just didn't work out.

That being said, any possibility that an Alexei trade is in the near future, and that why Saladino is here?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
With the roster make up that we have, plus knowing we have three pitchers on rehab assignments, I have complete faith that this move is a test drive to see if Saladino can replace Bonifacio once any of the pitchers are ready to come back.

Very much agreed. I'd rather have an extra pitcher than Bonifacio at the moment.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
I know many of you have suggested it is corresponding to our pitching roster moves but is there any chance this is a move ahead of a trade that is about to be done?

There's always a chance. I am sure they will carry another pitcher after the break.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (shipps @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:10 PM)
I know many of you have suggested it is corresponding to our pitching roster moves but is there any chance this is a move ahead of a trade that is about to be done?

Anything is possible. I wouldn't want to be in Rick's shoes right now trying to make the decisions, that is for sure.

QUOTE (BigFinn @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:06 PM)

Myself, included.

Yep. I was definitely one of those. It made too much sense. I also didn't think Beckham would be back, and thought Bonifacio would be a 3B against LHP (and back-up player everywhere else) - which hasn't really been the case at all.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 01:12 PM)
Remember too, post-TJ, he missed some time in ST and again early this season and was getting his strength back. He's been hitting lately though. Last month worth of games: .289/.364/.458. Last 10 games: .316/.356/.526.

Let's hope these numbers translate slightly better than Sanchez's.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:16 PM)
Let's hope these numbers translate slightly better than Sanchez's.

Different players in many ways. Saladino's bat has a quickness I never saw with Sanchez.

Saladino may flop, but I think he's got a better shot to not be totally overwhelmed at the plate. Its the defense, especially at third where he hasn't played a ton, that I'd have some concern about. Needs time there.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 10, 2015 -> 12:12 PM)
Remember too, post-TJ, he missed some time in ST and again early this season and was getting his strength back. He's been hitting lately though. Last month worth of games: .289/.364/.458. Last 10 games: .316/.356/.526.

Great, this was what I was wondering. Not about to assume 900 OPS but I'll take .700 at this point.