Crazy Trade Deadline Predictions

Chisoxfn

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 10:47 AM)
You want crazy, southsideshowdown.com threw out this idea recently:

3B Todd Frazier for SS Tim Anderson, RHP Frank Montas, and 3B Trey Michalczewski

Is 'fansided' SI's version of SB Nation?

I think ESPN does that now too.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 10:00 AM)
Pass

Reasoning? I think most people would see that trade as a steal for the White Sox. The Reds would probably require a much more elite prospect than Anderson to deal Frazier. It's not like he'd be a rent and he'd be paid way below market during the remaining two years of control.

I respect your opinion on things, but I honestly believe you overvalue prospects.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 10:17 AM)
Reasoning? I think most people would see that trade as a steal for the White Sox. The Reds would probably require a much more elite prospect than Anderson to deal Frazier. It's not like he'd be a rent and he'd be paid way below market during the remaining two years of control.

I respect your opinion on things, but I honestly believe you overvalue prospects.

He's having a great year, a career year. Knock out this year, and tell me what you have...a good player, who is not particularly great defensively.

It's a steal only if you believe that .900 OPS is what you get. I don't.

Plus, it's for 2 more years only.

And, as you can probably tell from my posts, I don't like trading our best prospects for veterans. I've seen the Sox screw it up far more times than they score and there's no assurance the Vets will play as you think they will.

ON a side note, why in the world are the Reds so bad. They have the best closer in MLB, an Ace starter, 3 hitters people love (at least on this board) and the fastest player in the game.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 18, 2015 -> 03:41 PM)
xEWNQD6.gif

Was this supposed to be in the "what you want to happen this trade deadline thread?"

The "make no major moves" is the last thing I want to have happen. Which is why I said that's my crazy prediction, because they keep doing the exact opposite of what I'd do...and it keeps not working.

Pirates are fed up with former 3rd baseman Pedro Alvarez defense at 1st base. Sox could use a bit more power at DH . LaRoche and $8M to Pirates for Alvarez. LaRoche hasn't been able to hit lefties or righties. Alvarez hits lefties just as bad as LaRoche if not worse but has 12 HR's against righties . Sox get out from under LaRoche's contract .

Sox get a younger power hitter who is going to end up a DH anyway and isn't an NL player because of horrendous D and isn't signed for beyond this year. He is Arbitration eligible in 2016 and if he doesn't pan out can always dump him and fill DH next year.

Sox need to stop pretending LaRoche is still a full time player.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Astros would never trade Springer.

You'll never get an elite prospect for Quintana, simply because he's not an elite pitcher. I'd say a low top 50, a top 100 and some A ballers. I just don't know what that does for us re the alleged 3 year window.

Now that may change IF you pair him up with Samardzija. Do Q +Samardzija get us Seager?

To reshape the team, trade Sale. Take the top 2 from Dodgers, they protect 2, and we take 2 more. They protect 5 and we take 2 more. Or maybe top 2 plus Puig plus 2 A ballers. In that case, keep Samardzija (if they are still of mind to sign him)...better chance to sign him long term with that QA on his back.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 09:48 AM)
You'll never get an elite prospect for Quintana, simply because he's not an elite pitcher.

What's your definition of an elite pitcher? Quintana was top-ten in WAR in 2014, had a 2.81 FIP, and has a 3.24 FIP this year. Seems elite to me.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
What's your definition of an elite pitcher? Quintana was top-ten in WAR in 2014, had a 2.81 FIP, and has a 3.24 FIP this year. Seems elite to me.

Q is absolutely an elite type pitcher. Put him back on the Yankees and he's well known and talked about.

Edited by Bigsoxhurt35

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:27 AM)
:o

Springer is injured so Avi takes his place. Houston needs a 1st baseman badly now so Abreu goes there . Houston gets the RH hitter they're looking for and a starter they want in Smardzija

Springer has a wrist injury and isn't due back for around 6 weeks but there's no doubt he's plays a good defensive right field,has good on base skills and has lots of power. Singleton was a top prospect once but hasn't made the adjustment to the Majors yet . Appel top pitching prospect but hasn't looked that great in the minors.. His stock is dropping . Sox strength is developing pitchers .

Chris Devenski AA pitcher having a very fine year . His stock is rising.

Maybe take Montas out of the trade since Singleton and Appel haven't yet lived up to expectations .

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 07:48 AM)
Astros would never trade Springer.

Maybe, maybe not. Adding Shark, Avi and Abreu would make them right near the top of the list of World Series favorites and fills all their biggest needs now.

Springer fractured his wrist , might be back in another 4-6 weeks and might not be the same player he's been. Do the Astro's want to take the chance he's the same player or that the injury has no lingering effects ? Wrist injuries can be tricky. They get 3 solid contributors to their playoff march that fill major holes for them . Avi and Abreu are locked up for years.

The Sox would only be getting one proven player in Springer and 3 prospects. Well Singleton played a lot last year for the Stros but sucked badly . But the potential is still there. His stock has been dropping since 2013 Appel is a top prospect who hasn't lived up to being the 1 ,1 pick in the 2013 draft yet. Devenski has had a very good year in AA but still has a lot to prove.

Besides you saying the Astros would never give up Springer is based in reality. The thread title clearly wanted crazy !

QUOTE (Bigsoxhurt35 @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 09:54 AM)
Q is absolutely an elite type pitcher. Put him back on the Yankees and he's well known and talked about.

Put Q on the Yankees and he's the second coming of Whitey Ford. Minus the heavy drinking.

I think the Dodgers are looking for a right-hander because of the possibility of Greinke opting for free-agency after this season. Both Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija are good fits with the Dodgers because they have the financial where-with-all to sign Cueto or Samardzija after the season, i.e. not just a rental.

Houston has been kicking the tires on the same pitchers, but I wonder if Mike Leake isn't a better fit. Leake is more of a groundball pitcher, Cueto and Samardzija are flyball pitchers. Check baseball-reference.com for the GO/AO stats (under More Stats for each pitcher).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Samardzija, Quintana, Garcia, and Ramirez to LAD for Puig and Seager

Funny, I just posted this in the Puig thread...

Puig, Seager, Urias, and Pederson for Sale.

Not happening but I'd do it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 19, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
What's your definition of an elite pitcher?

A #1 starter

I'd lean more to trading Sale because, upon consideration, I think there's a chance we could get a return that somewhat approximates his value.

Q looks like one of those guys who can pitch until he's 35.

Edited by GreenSox

I don't know where else to post this, but if I were Rick Hahn I would be calling the Dodgers to see what it would take to get Corey Seager. They're in a win now mode and if the Sox were to put something together that could bring them closer to the championship, they would have to consider it.

Edited by Joshua Strong

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
I don't know where else to post this, but if I were Rick Hahn I would be calling the Dodgers to see what it would take to get Corey Seager. They're in a win now mode and if the Sox were to put something together that could bring them closer to the championship, they would have to consider it.

It would take an awful lot. They are not in a "win now" mode that Sox fans are used going "all in". They are planning a long period of success. They have Seager sitting there ready to step in for Rollins next season, so unless it is Sale involved in a deal, I dont think they will be including Seager in anything as they dont really have much in the way of options to fill that spot next season without making another deal and the FA SS market is not good.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2015 -> 03:12 PM)
It would take an awful lot. They are not in a "win now" mode that Sox fans are used going "all in". They are planning a long period of success. They have Seager sitting there ready to step in for Rollins next season, so unless it is Sale involved in a deal, I dont think they will be including Seager in anything as they dont really have much in the way of options to fill that spot next season without making another deal and the FA SS market is not good.

You're right, different teams have different realities.

My thinking is that with their payroll flexibility, the Dodgers would be willing to part with a prospect, despite them saying otherwise. And while the FA SS market isn't looking that good, there are some current SS's with multi year deals that they could trade for, like Starlin Castro for example.

They are on the lookout for pitching and I would try to center a deal around Quintana and Tim Anderson for Seager and a low level guy.