Crazy Trade Deadline Predictions

Chisoxfn

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Here is an off the wall and totally unrealistic idea:

Avi, Micah and Danks to SD (maybe throw in another low-level lottery ticket)

Shields and Justin Upton to the Sox

Sox then flip Shark to Toronto for Pentecost and Hoffman

Yuck.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 04:54 PM)
Yuck.

I don't think it's that bad if the Sox want to buy and sell. Gets us out from under Danks contract next year, but picks up Sheilds to slide into the #3 slot for a few years (albeit at a very high price). Gets us a legit bat in RF for the rest of the year and opens it for us to over pay for Jason Heyward or Upton if we like him. Shields gives is the ability to flip Shark for Petecost and Hoffman which would be a great return. I'm of the opinion that Micah will never be a passable defender at 2B and has no other position and will probably either be traded or kept too long and will have no value. I don't hate Avi at all, but do recognize his short comings in the OF. I don't think its all bad, but I'm not paying all these contracts, and I generally like to see the Sox go for it each and every year.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
Ajp back behind the dish for the Sox

Rock. Have you heard anything on what they are looking for in return for Shark or who some targets are. Also anything out there that may link the Sox to Puig, maybe if it takes Q?? Thanks man

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 27, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Here is an off the wall and totally unrealistic idea:

Avi, Micah and Danks to SD (maybe throw in another low-level lottery ticket)

Shields and Justin Upton to the Sox

Sox then flip Shark to Toronto for Pentecost and Hoffman

Good idea. Shields and Shark are similar pitchers, Shields is a little older. They are both flyball pitchers. Shields is owed $63 million over the next three years with a $2 million buy out in 2019 or a $16 million option. Shark might cost closer to $120 million by the time all is said and done (If Samardzija is traded now, he can't be given a qualifying offer, which makes him more like Jon Lester, and Lester got a 7 year/$170 million deal from the Cub—or slightly more than $24 million/year).

Shields could look like a bargain over the balance of his contract, in spite of the backloading.

with the latest on the puig front, per mlb rumors.

assuming on the shark trade, if yes i would do this.

to la

Q, Petricka, Danish or Rodon, Sunburn

to chi

Puig, Yimi García, Seager or Sweeney, Barnes, if it is sweeney > Holmes, if not > De Jong

the players on the dodgers will be PTNL, meaning after the playoff.

edit.... i would of course run this thru Jose A. to see if there are or is any problems on that front, also for his ok.

Edited by LDF

For those of you interested in CarGo, this from Rotoworld:

Carlos Gonzalez - OF - Rockies

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Rockies are planning to trade outfielder Carlos Gonzalez.

And the timing couldn't be better, as Gonzalez went deep twice on Monday against the Cubs and now has 10 home runs this month. The 29-year-old is batting .278/.332/.520 with 20 home runs and 51 RBI overall this season. His injury history and contract could cause some teams to shy away, but he has the potential to be an impact bat for a contender. He's making $16 million this season and is owed $37 million from 2016-2017.

Source: CBS Sports

Jul 28 - 9:44 AM

His contract's not great, but it's not atrocious. If we take it as a given that the Sox will be looking for a OF/DH bat going forward (not just 2015 but the next couple of years as well), there aren't many options that will be cheaper. Alternatives for 2016 (as free agents) include Upton, Gordon and Heyward, who will each get waaay bigger contracts that probably outstrip their production. Puig/Dodgers bats might be available via trade, but they will cost much more talent/prospect-wise. I would be nervous about a CarGo freefall if the Sox acquired him, but I do see some logic in it.

How about this?

Sox lose:

Avi

Quintana

Micah

Padres lose:

Justin Upton

Tyson Ross

Blue Jays lose:

Devon Travis

Daniel Norris

Aaron Sanchez

Max Pentecost

Sox gain:

Pentecost (C of the future)

Sanchez (fills in Quintana's slot and joins our plethora of young pitching talent)

Upton (takes over in right)

Padres gain:

Norris (could slot in to Ross' slot and bring back some of the youth Preller pissed away)

Travis (replacing pitiful Jed Gyorko)

Avi (fresh start candidate and immediate fill-in for Upton)

Jays gain:

Quintana and Ross (massively improving their rotation)

Micah (adequately replacing Travis in an already powerful offense)

Quintana could be switched out for Shark, especially considering Upton is also a rental. And I suppose Norris and Sanchez could be interchangeable, though I prefer Sanchez.

Thoughts?

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
How about this?

Sox lose:

Avi

Quintana

Micah

Padres lose:

Justin Upton

Tyson Ross

Blue Jays lose:

Devon Travis

Daniel Norris

Aaron Sanchez

Max Pentecost

Sox gain:

Sanchez (fills in Quintana's slot and joins our plethora of young pitching talent)

Padres gain:

Norris (could slot in to Ross' slot and bring back some of the youth Preller pissed away)

Jays gain:

Quintana could be switched out for Shark, especially considering Upton is also a rental. And I suppose Norris and Sanchez could be interchangeable, though I prefer Sanchez.

Thoughts?

Sox giving up an awful lot. Quintana cannot and will not be traded for a rental.

QUOTE (God Loves The Infantry @ Jul 28, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
How about this?

Sox lose:

Avi

Quintana

Micah

Padres lose:

Justin Upton

Tyson Ross

Blue Jays lose:

Devon Travis

Daniel Norris

Aaron Sanchez

Max Pentecost

Sox gain:

Padres gain:

Jays gain:

Thoughts?

You're way undervaluing Quintana here, that's an awful return for him.