Cespedes to the Mets according to Levine

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 02:56 PM)
No one's going to have to empty the farm, or trade a top 100, for 2 months of these hitters.

I hope we get neither - don't give up young players for a slim chance at a wild card. I'd rather trade Shark and roll with Johnson and we'd probably not take much of a step back.

But of the 2, would far prefer Upton. Don't need any of these "I won't play RF" guys on team. Cespedes has a career OBP of .316. And don't want to send a player to Tigers.

I bet you that Justin Upton goes for a top 100 prospect. I tend to think Cespedes does as well. And if not a top 100, then two guys who are close to top 100 status.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
I just received an ESPN update on my phone that says white sox front office "confused" whether to buy or sell at deadline.

Wow

I think "confused" is an interesting choice of words, but I have no doubt the front office has opportunities to add short term for some long-term prices and since this is the same team that played like dogs for a large part of the season, they should be having high level/in-depth conversations about what's best for the team.

Edited by SoxFan562004

If the White Sox are confused, I'd hope it is because they got some absurd offer for Shark and/or other guys and its making them think twice (given the sheer upside of something else). I think the idea of giving up talent for a rental is just awful (unless we literally are getting one of these rentals for nothing). As long as we are buying for the long haul, I don't really care. Then as long as you still buy into contending next year and the following year, you are in good shape!

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
If Montas is the centerpiece I'd be all about that

I would not trade Montas to a division rival. I also would not trade Montas for 2 months of Cespedes or Upton.

PS: Look at Upton's numbers, he's pretty streaky and I personally think he is over-valued because of his tools (vs. his production).

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:02 PM)
I think "confused" is an interesting choice of words, but I have no doubt the front office has opportunities to add short term for some long-term prices and since this is the same team that played like dogs for a large part of the season, they should be having high level/in-depth conversations about what's best for the team.

FYI for everyone, the "confused" comes from a Doug Padilla ESPN terrible article. He said they're in buy now mode on twitter, essentially retracting his whole article.

I don't like adding Cespedes compared to Upton because Cespedes outside of this season has been a worse hitter than Upton and I fear for his approach since he walks so little...not sure that I like the "synergy" for the lineup with Cespedes compared to Upton. And if we dream of re-signing the rental player, it just won't happen with Cespedes.

Edited by Jake

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:49 PM)
All I know is he's listed as a LF/RF in MLB The Show, and he's the right fielder in my fantasy draft franchise and he does ok :lol:

Played it when younger but very few times last 5 years.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:06 PM)
Played it when younger but very few times last 5 years.

The only thing really different about LF/RF is the slice of the ball but if you are a good player you can play both. I played both in high school after playing infield all my life and I was fine. I think Melky can do it

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:03 PM)
If the White Sox are confused, I'd hope it is because they got some absurd offer for Shark and/or other guys and its making them think twice (given the sheer upside of something else). I think the idea of giving up talent for a rental is just awful (unless we literally are getting one of these rentals for nothing). As long as we are buying for the long haul, I don't really care. Then as long as you still buy into contending next year and the following year, you are in good shape!

This could very well be, even Dan Hayes article earlier said some in the FO were still considering move Shark if the package was overwhelming. And some teams could grow desperate after Price, Hamels, and Cueto our now gone. Ross is rumored to be out shortly. Who knows but 24 hours left confusing isn't the words you want to come out of your camp.

I hope they don't trade the only top prospects they have for rental hitters. This season has been so weird, it might be wise to just let it play out for better or worse. It's like we already have a new hitter in Melky who has awakened and maybe LaStiff will wake up as well. Also Lexi, 3B and 2B have been reborn. I wouldn't mind acquiring a 3B bat, trading Lexi and letting Saladino play ss the rest of the year though. If there are any 3B standouts out there.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:00 PM)
Just got an ESPN alert on my phone:

"White Sox confused about whether to be buyer or seller at trade deadline - league source"

That must be a really s***ty league source.

I can understand that - it's not an easy call.

Or it could be Hahn = Sell; Williams = Buy.

Solution = stand pat.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 30, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
Put this in the Soria thread, but I have a feeling that we are in a 3-team trade with the Pirates and Tigers involving Soria, Sellers, and Cespedes.

So who would come from the Pirates to the Sox or vice-versa to warrant 3 teams?