Cespedes to the Mets according to Levine

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 08:59 AM)
If that's what teams are asking for a two month rental lets stand pat or sell. No thank you

Standing pat would be awful. I think right now, the market for Shark is actually higher then at any point in the season. We have the last chip and their are still a few teams out their (vs. 1 team waiting for the last domino).

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel like Detroit is almost going to be forced to trade Cespedes if they want him back next year. I could be wrong on this, but I think there's some weird clause in his contract that he can't re-sign with the team if he's not extended before the end of the season. I think he's going to price himself out of a lot of teams' budgets, especially with the season he's had.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
IF their is truth to this, I just shake my head. Overloaded with what. Garcia sucks and LaRoche has not been productive. What overload are we talking about? An overload of crap?

They have to decide how to manage roster moves and playing time. It is not at all straightforward and they are right to be conflicted about it.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:06 AM)
They have to decide how to manage roster moves and playing time. It is not at all straightforward and they are right to be conflicted about it.

How to manage roster moves of guys with negative WAR's? I really don't understand what their is to be conflicted about. AVI & LaRoche's combined WAR is -.3 (-.2 and -.1), respectively. I realize WAR isn't the end all be all stat, but it does magnify just how bad both players have been this season.

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst 1m1 minute ago

Teams talking to #WhiteSox say they're struggling with how impact of Cespedes or Upton would impact roster. Already overloaded at OF/DH/1B

Translation: We're not desperate so if you want to dump salary you're not going to get much out of us.

Rosenthals was just on MLbN and said he'd be surprised if the sox didn't add a bat (vasqurgin? Sp) mentioned Cespedes or Byrd. Rosenthal said the hold up is the logjam at 1B/OF/DH but said weve checked in at 3B and Catcher just not a lot of options since everyone wants those players and aren't traded much.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
If #Padres don't get what they want for Upton,they'll keep him and get draft pick;the #Tigers more urgent on Cespedes since no compensation

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/627156078082404352

So technically if we trade for JUp and keep shark and make them qualifying offers in the winter and they walk we get two compensation picks!?

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)
So technically if we trade for JUp and keep shark and make them qualifying offers in the winter and they walk we get two compensation picks!?

Can't give a player a qualifying offer if he was traded midseason.

QUOTE (Frank_Thomas35 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:48 AM)

I think when you trade for someone within a certain time period (ie after start of season/before trade deadline), the compensatory pick goes away. So the Padres pick for losing Upton does not accompany him with the trade.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:08 PM)
How to manage roster moves of guys with negative WAR's? I really don't understand what their is to be conflicted about. AVI & LaRoche's combined WAR is -.3 (-.2 and -.1), respectively. I realize WAR isn't the end all be all stat, but it does magnify just how bad both players have been this season.

There's more to it than what a guy's WAR is this season. Avi is a young player who you are trying to develop and LaRoche is a veteran with a track record and a big contract that you want to get value out of. It's not a deal where they necessarily think these players are better than rest-of-season Upton or whomever, but you have to figure out how to handle these guys in the ways that benefit the team most now and in the future

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
There's more to it than what a guy's WAR is this season. Avi is a young player who you are trying to develop and LaRoche is a veteran with a track record and a big contract that you want to get value out of. It's not a deal where they necessarily think these players are better than rest-of-season Upton or whomever, but you have to figure out how to handle these guys in the ways that benefit the team most now and in the future

Exactly. Something this board in general seems to have a very difficult time grasping.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:51 AM)

You obviously have the most flexibility with Avi.

If you can get a bat, send him down to work on very specific things in Charlotte (pitch recognition, strike zone recognition, etc). I don't care if he hits .100 down there, but just get regular PAs and make him work on his deficiencies while the big league club is trying to win now.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:53 AM)
Exactly. Something this board in general seems to have a very difficult time grasping.

Not when I don't see any long-term value in Avi. I don't think Avi is a good baseball player. If you look at my history of posts, I am typically very patient with prospects, etc. What I have seen from Avi, given his defensive struggles, gives me very little faith in him ever reaching anything close to his perceived "upside". I think if this team intends to compete, it needs to add a very good outfielder. I am okay with then using Avi and LaRoche in a DH roll, with Avi giving our outfielders occasional breaks.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
Not when I don't see any long-term value in Avi. I don't think Avi is a good baseball player. If you look at my history of posts, I am typically very patient with prospects, etc. What I have seen from Avi, given his defensive struggles, gives me very little faith in him ever reaching anything close to his perceived "upside". I think if this team intends to compete, it needs to add a very good outfielder. I am okay with then using Avi and LaRoche in a DH roll, with Avi giving our outfielders occasional breaks.

But this is the exact type of thing they're trying to decide. Do they do that or send him to Charlotte? How do they split the ABs considering that a straight platoon would mean the younger (and player hitting better this season) player spends a ton of time on the bench?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 09:57 AM)
But this is the exact type of thing they're trying to decide. Do they do that or send him to Charlotte? How do they split the ABs considering that a straight platoon would mean the younger (and player hitting better this season) player spends a ton of time on the bench?

Send him to Charlotte. I don't really care. I would think if we were acquiring an outfielder, we'd be looking at moving Avi anyway (potentially as part of that trade). And given LaRoche's splits, their is still at bats for Avi anyway (and injuries happen).

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:51 AM)
Depends on what would it would take. Is Milwaukee looking to move him?

I think Milwaukee would basically give him away if they could. He's a shell of his former self, about to hit the normal age of decline and is owed $100 million over the next 5 years.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:59 AM)
I think Milwaukee would basically give him away if they could. He's a shell of his former self, about to hit the normal age of decline and is owed $100 million over the next 5 years.

So, if that is all true, the White Sox would be smart to look elsewhere