Cespedes to the Mets according to Levine

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:55 PM)
Not when I don't see any long-term value in Avi. I don't think Avi is a good baseball player. If you look at my history of posts, I am typically very patient with prospects, etc. What I have seen from Avi, given his defensive struggles, gives me very little faith in him ever reaching anything close to his perceived "upside". I think if this team intends to compete, it needs to add a very good outfielder. I am okay with then using Avi and LaRoche in a DH roll, with Avi giving our outfielders occasional breaks.

I want them to send Avi down to AAA and tell him that every time he hits a ball to the right hand side of the field he owes us 30 pushups.

I can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:58 AM)
:lol: Padres are so convincing

What are the Padres doing? They seem to have some players who other teams want (Ross, Upton), but also some contracts (Kemp, Shields) that are issues. Are they the team that is left holding the bag?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:07 PM)
That's not the calculation.

The calculation is:

Shark > Johnson

Cespedes/Upton > Avi

Which of those > signs is bigger?

I don't think Upton or Cespedes are really impact bats, sure they are an improvement but they don't really change the dynamic of the offense. Losing Shark in the rotation is a big impact there.

Also, you lose a comp pick so you better be getting some more value.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:07 AM)
That's not the calculation.

The calculation is:

Shark > Johnson

Cespedes/Upton > Avi

Which of those > signs is bigger?

Don't forgot the comp pick that we'd get if we just hung on to Shark. If I'm moving Shark in a deal for a bat, Its because the bat we are getting is a long-term solution or in addition to the bat, we are getting some other prospects that we like.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 01:25 PM)
If we're trying to contend, how does trading Samardzija and acquiring Cespedes make any sense? If we're gonna buy, then let's buy.

It's a lower risk type of buy, which makes sense given our position in the standings

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 10:26 AM)
It's a lower risk type of buy, which makes sense given our position in the standings

Lets just say we swapped Shark to one team, Sox got Upton, and Padres get prospects. That is a loss to me. I think any chance of Sox making a deep post-season run are gone (don't think that rotation is good enough to win a post-season series) and we don't even get the comp pick long-term to help us. Chances of making playoffs might go up a bit, but thats a big if because we really have no idea what we will get out of EJ (and Rodon is still developing). We could end up with a gas can of a rotation which offsets any positives from Upton and we don't even get a comp pick for the long term.

So again, I am not trading Shark for a rental unless it is Shark and prospects for a rental + better prospects.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:28 PM)
Lets just say we swapped Shark to one team, Sox got Upton, and Padres get prospects. That is a loss to me. I think any chance of Sox making a deep post-season run are gone (don't think that rotation is good enough to win a post-season series) and we don't even get the comp pick long-term to help us. Chances of making playoffs might go up a bit, but thats a big if because we really have no idea what we will get out of EJ (and Rodon is still developing). We could end up with a gas can of a rotation which offsets any positives from Upton and we don't even get a comp pick for the long term.

So again, I am not trading Shark for a rental unless it is Shark and prospects for a rental + better prospects.

What about trading shark means for a bat thats not a rental

Edited by WhiteSoxLifer

Supposedly DD wanted Gausman for Cespedes. It will be interesting to see how far the price tag drops once the clock gets close to zero. The Sox have to be one of the first, if not the first in priority who would actually put in a claim if Cespedes was put on waivers in the next few days.

As for Upton, if your out of it, holding on to him for a draft pick is either a total negotiating ploy, or a total bluff. Why pay him the $6 million or $7 million left on his contract to play meaningless games? I find it hard to believe they will hang on to him. It also shows teams aren't offering much.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:39 PM)
Supposedly DD wanted Gausman for Cespedes. It will be interesting to see how far the price tag drops once the clock gets close to zero. The Sox have to be one of the first, if not the first in priority who would actually put in a claim if Cespedes was put on waivers in the next few days.

As for Upton, if your out of it, holding on to him for a draft pick is either a total negotiating ploy, or a total bluff. Why pay him the $6 million or $7 million left on his contract to play meaningless games? I find it hard to believe they will hang on to him. It also shows teams aren't offering much.

Tigers get no compensation for Cespeds so he'll be moved.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 12:38 PM)
Harper, Span (15-day DL), Taylor, Werth... who gets benched?

That's what they were saying on the Network they have a lot of OFs I don't know if it was speculation by Heyman but he said Rizzo loves him and he's the type of player he goes for, a scouts player.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 31, 2015 -> 11:55 AM)
Not when I don't see any long-term value in Avi. I don't think Avi is a good baseball player. If you look at my history of posts, I am typically very patient with prospects, etc. What I have seen from Avi, given his defensive struggles, gives me very little faith in him ever reaching anything close to his perceived "upside". I think if this team intends to compete, it needs to add a very good outfielder. I am okay with then using Avi and LaRoche in a DH roll, with Avi giving our outfielders occasional breaks.

This. Jake's post is spot-on without context, but Avi blows. It isn't about young players in general, it's about continuing to pretend that Garcia is some high-end prospect, despite not a single sign of improvement as he approaches his first 1000PA in the MLB after ~2000PA in the minors. Still can't pick pitches to swing at, still can't react to balls hit to him, still takes the most confusing routes we've seen since Manny Ramirez.