Arizona Fall League

ChiSoxJon

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 04:14 PM)
Pitchers are doing well. Hitters not as much, though Delmonico has shown some pop.

It's also pretty early.

Engel went 2-3 yesterday and is hitting .300 with a couple walks and SBs. Wendelken threw a scoreless inning as well.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)
Engel went 2-3 yesterday and is hitting .300 with a couple walks and SBs. Wendelken threw a scoreless inning as well.

Up to .357/.500/.429 after yesterdays performance. Man would that be a huge coup if he could produce a 700+ OPS with his defense and speed.

QUOTE (MnSoxFan @ Oct 20, 2015 -> 04:29 PM)

Big fan of Wendelken out of the pen. Glad he's had 2 solid outings in a row after his hiccup in game 1. Think he can be a good 7th-8th inning guy.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 06:55 AM)
Up to .357/.500/.429 after yesterdays performance. Man would that be a huge coup if he could produce a 700+ OPS with his defense and speed.

If he can do well in AA, could be trade bait to use for an impact bat.

Too bad Kenny isn't running a different team. We could totally trade him Engel for an impact player.

Next year is crucial for him. Not very confident about his hit tool developing, but I like high-ceiling, up-the-middle guys with good makeup. Will be quite the test for him at AA, assuming he starts there.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
Did you hear he has good makeup?

Observed it, and yeah from talking with him and seeing how he interacts with coaches (asking persistent questions) and teammates, I think it's fair to say so.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 23, 2015 -> 08:14 PM)
Did you hear he has good makeup?

I'll second Will, having spoken to Adam, talked to his coaches, and helped him write a guest article for FS last year (he wrote about playing Aussie ball). Also, they wouldn't have sent him to Australia to represent the team like that if he didn't have good makeup.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Oct 24, 2015 -> 08:08 PM)
Our minors are looking stacked. I'm pumped. We can trade for anybody

Well that is a bit of an overstatement. I think the lower levels are looking pretty darn good, but the upper levels (AA, AAA) are still not great and there is a lack of elite talent. System is improving, but mostly in quantity of "could be interesting" guys as opposed to a few "elite" guys.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 25, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
I'll second Will, having spoken to Adam, talked to his coaches, and helped him write a guest article for FS last year (he wrote about playing Aussie ball). Also, they wouldn't have sent him to Australia to represent the team like that if he didn't have good makeup.

Well that is a bit of an overstatement. I think the lower levels are looking pretty darn good, but the upper levels (AA, AAA) are still not great and there is a lack of elite talent. System is improving, but mostly in quantity of "could be interesting" guys as opposed to a few "elite" guys.

Yea, that's the problem. The system has a lot of guys who have the ceiling of an average major league player, but lack impact players. We have one guy who you can legitimately say has a chance to be an all-star position player (Anderson) and while his ceiling is certainly very high, he is also super risky. Pitching wise, we have solid arms (like usual). I would say in the pitching department, we are easily a top-10 system. Hitting wise, we are bottom 10, maybe bottom 5.

Edited by maggsmaggs

A couple posts have discussed the org seeing the issue as talent acquisition not development. But to me, I have no confidence that the players with plus power in our system can ever be good enough at contact to be starters. And it just seems to keep happening. Really would love if the Zs in arizona can keep it up, but I just feel like its a fat chance (more so than with any prospect being a fat chance)

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 11:27 AM)
A couple posts have discussed the org seeing the issue as talent acquisition not development. But to me, I have no confidence that the players with plus power in our system can ever be good enough at contact to be starters. And it just seems to keep happening. Really would love if the Zs in arizona can keep it up, but I just feel like its a fat chance (more so than with any prospect being a fat chance)

I think it is totally a talent acquisition issue. The Sox FO is enamored of the idea of power (especially RH power) and have prioritized that too much over all else in selecting top tier amateur players. Players like Viciedo, Jacobs, Davidson, Barnum, Hawkins, Adolfo have been high profile acquisitions although their scouting profiles with the bat are similar - huge BP power, a lot of swing and miss, poor pitch recognition, hit tool may not progress enough to let the power come through in games. The team has to change its organization approach to identifying hitters. Get guys that put the ball in play and work on developing power instead of vice versa.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 01:46 PM)
I think it is totally a talent acquisition issue. The Sox FO is enamored of the idea of power (especially RH power) and have prioritized that too much over all else in selecting top tier amateur players. Players like Viciedo, Jacobs, Davidson, Barnum, Hawkins, Adolfo have been high profile acquisitions although their scouting profiles with the bat are similar - huge BP power, a lot of swing and miss, poor pitch recognition, hit tool may not progress enough to let the power come through in games. The team has to change its organization approach to identifying hitters. Get guys that put the ball in play and work on developing power instead of vice versa.

This is one type of player they have signed. This is not the only type of player they have drafted and signed. For example, they have also been loading up the team on speedsters.

Though I will note that the list is an motley crew of acquisitions... in order of the list in bold

Free Agent

Trade

Trade

Draft

Draft

LatAm signing

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Oct 26, 2015 -> 01:51 AM)
Yea, that's the problem. The system has a lot of guys who have the ceiling of an average major league player, but lack impact players. We have one guy who you can legitimately say has a chance to be an all-star position player (Anderson) and while his ceiling is certainly very high, he is also super risky. Pitching wise, we have solid arms (like usual). I would say in the pitching department, we are easily a top-10 system. Hitting wise, we are bottom 10, maybe bottom 5.

i agree with your statement and NSS comment on elite hitters.

except for 1 player in the minors, i don't see a viable 3b after him. the team needs to weed out the false gold like players and be creative in this offseason.

Sox bats doing surprisingly well in AZL thus far:

Engel .370/.471/.519 6/3 BB/K 4 SB

Peter .348/.400/.435

Delmonico .176/.250/.529 2 HR

Trey is having the worst fall, but it doesnt look like he's played in awhile

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 28, 2015 -> 04:57 PM)
Sox bats doing surprisingly well in AZL thus far:

Engel .370/.471/.519 6/3 BB/K 4 SB

Peter .348/.400/.435

Delmonico .176/.250/.529 2 HR

Trey is having the worst fall, but it doesnt look like he's played in awhile

Trey can only play on Wed and Sat games, he is like a taxi squad player.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 02:59 PM)
Bummed watching the Royals win games in the World Series? Missing Sox baseball? Check out how several top Sox prospects are doing in the Arizona Fall League and abroad in our first offseason recap.

http://www.chicagonow.com/future-sox/2015/...-strong-in-afl/

i really like the update. many thanks for your hard work ...

now, i don't know, but for me, it appears as this yr group of AFL players the sox sent are not a good group.

now i am surprise in a couple of players....

Engel is really coming into his own, esp since June and July.... however being moved to 3b..... i hope he develops more power.

Delmonico - i have or starting to loose faith in him. i really had high hopes.

Pete - i like to see more of him next yr. he may be somebody to watch.

pitching beside Brennan and Leyer, i just don't know.

again many thanks to all who assemble this info.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 29, 2015 -> 08:57 AM)
i really like the update. many thanks for your hard work ...

now, i don't know, but for me, it appears as this yr group of AFL players the sox sent are not a good group.

now i am surprise in a couple of players....

Engel is really coming into his own, esp since June and July.... however being moved to 3b..... i hope he develops more power.

Delmonico - i have or starting to loose faith in him. i really had high hopes.

Pete - i like to see more of him next yr. he may be somebody to watch.

pitching beside Brennan and Leyer, i just don't know.

again many thanks to all who assemble this info.

What are you talking about Engel being moved to 3rd base?