Potential Ventura replacements

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:45 AM)
I dont understand what this means? The manager that has done the most with least talent in this division over the last two decades all of a sudden doesn't know how to manage? The guy that played the way the game is played now throughout the steroid era because he didn't have the bats can't fit into todays game? I am not particularly fond of the idea of Gardenhire but really don't get the "modern" comments related to him.

The point is likely moot, we all know the next manager is going to be PK, hell he was almost the current manager.

What least talent?

Times change. People are doing things smarter and more efficiently now. Has he kept up with the times? Does he use modern analytics and analysis?

And it's not just the manager. Whitesox are an incredibly un-athletic team with holes galore. But they continually sign un athletic players so I'm not sure they have any interest in fixing it.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting to think about but unless Robin simply resigns for whatever reason he's not going any place. JR and the front office still like him a lot.

However if that possibility should occur I'm for anybody who has previous major league managing experience and who has absolutely zero ties to the organization.

No more former players, no more former coaches, no more guys 'learning' how to be a major league manager with on the job training.

Sox haven't hired a manger with former experience managing at the big league level since Jeff Torborg in 1989.

Mark

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
What least talent?

Times change. People are doing things smarter and more efficiently now. Has he kept up with the times? Does he use modern analytics and analysis?

And it's not just the manager. Whitesox are an incredibly un-athletic team with holes galore. But they continually sign un athletic players so I'm not sure they have any interest in fixing it.

If you look at the Twins over the entire duration of Gardy's tenure, their roster was made up of Morneau, Cuddyer, Mauer, and a bunch of guys that would have been UTL guys on pretty much every other team. They played smart, were agressive, and won games.

Analytics and analysis can be overrated. It is still baseball in the end. Dan Jennings uses the hell out of analytics and is 27-41 as the manager of a team that was thought to be near contention when the season started. Mike Sciocia pretty much ran his analytics guy out of town and is one of the best managers in baseball. Yes, analytics are usefull but are not a be all end all of what makes a good manager.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 11:09 AM)
Interesting to think about but unless Robin simply resigns for whatever reason he's not going any place. JR and the front office still like him a lot.

However if that possibility should occur I'm for anybody who has previous major league managing experience and who has absolutely zero ties to the organization.

No more former players, no more former coaches, no more guys 'learning' how to be a major league manager with on the job training.

Sox haven't hired a manger with former experience managing at the big league level since Jeff Torborg in 1989.

Mark

I could see the Sox giving Robin an off the field "promotion" after the season.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:18 AM)
If you look at the Twins over the entire duration of Gardy's tenure, their roster was made up of Morneau, Cuddyer, Mauer, and a bunch of guys that would have been UTL guys on pretty much every other team. They played smart, were agressive, and won games.

Analytics and analysis can be overrated. It is still baseball in the end. Dan Jennings uses the hell out of analytics and is 27-41 as the manager of a team that was thought to be near contention when the season started. Mike Sciocia pretty much ran his analytics guy out of town and is one of the best managers in baseball. Yes, analytics are usefull but are not a be all end all of what makes a good manager.

You're leaving out Torii Hunter, Jacques Jones, Shannon Stewart, Mientkiewicz, Koskie, AJ, Christian Guzman, Liriano, Radke, Johan, Nathan, Guardado, Hawkins, etc.

The myth was the Piranhas, but they had a lot of talent as well.

Not just utility guys.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 11:45 AM)
All interesting speculation, but I'll wager Robin Ventura is going nowhere

Until proven otherwise, my guess is the only major debate this offseason is whether or not Ventura's contract will be extended.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:58 AM)
What least talent?

Do you know for a fact he doesn't use modern stats and analysis? Or is it simply because he has grey hair you assume he doesn't? He dominated the Division with average to slightly above average teams for a decade. I'm guessing he knows something about baseball. And he was still doing it when Sabermetrics were hitting their popularity.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)
You're leaving out Torii Hunter, Jacques Jones, Shannon Stewart, Mientkiewicz, Koskie, AJ, Christian Guzman, Liriano, Radke, Johan, Nathan, Guardado, Hawkins, etc.

Not just utility guys.

Every team that dominates a division has good players. It's what you do with those players. The Sox had some pretty solid teams during the Twins heyday but could never beat out the Twins (sans '05).

Gardenhire is an accomplished manager. And his main focus is on defense and fundamentals, something this team needs a lot of.

What would a saber style manager even have done with this club? Platoon Soto and La Roche more? I'm not really seeing the problem with RV as not being saber inclined the problem is that he doesn't have the club ready to play on a daily basis and the club lacks fundamentals in base running, defense and situational hitting.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 05:09 PM)

Mark

excellent point. i never realize that.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:51 AM)
What would a saber style manager even have done with this club? Platoon Soto and La Roche more? I'm not really seeing the problem with RV as not being saber inclined the problem is that he doesn't have the club ready to play on a daily basis and the club lacks fundamentals in base running, defense and situational hitting.

I think Soto not DH'ing against lefties has been Robin's biggest crime this year and we probably would have won a few more games if he had.

Someone that can have this team ready for '16. Fundamentally sound and not make brutal win costing decisions. Someone that can get the most out of these guys. I like Gardenhire as Robins replacement. I know Minnesota has sucked his past few seasons but he hasn't had the best teams. I just want Robin gone. I really do doubt that he's gone after the year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 11:37 AM)

Not just utility guys.

I am not leaving them out, they were not all that good (excluding Hunter). Yes they had some pitching, so do the White Sox, but check how those guys did when they Minnesota and you can see the job that Gardy did. AJ was barely there for a season with Gardy before being sent out for pitching.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:22 PM)
I am not leaving them out, they were not all that good (excluding Hunter). Yes they had some pitching, so do the White Sox, but check how those guys did when they Minnesota and you can see the job that Gardy did. AJ was barely there for a season with Gardy before being sent out for pitching.

That infield was filled with Gold Glovers....and this was before the war argument and defensive runs saved.

Hunter was awesome, and Jones in his prime was very good as well. They could cover a ton of ground on that turf.

QUOTE (Brian26 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 10:32 PM)
Yet everyone wants to seemingly hire Dombrowski, who is near 60 and three years older than Hemond when the Sox fired him.

here is a wild arse statement.

would the new ownership keep the team in chi???

QUOTE (LDF @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 06:42 PM)
here is a wild arse statement.

would the new ownership keep the team in chi???

The team's lease on the ballpark runs through 2029. Between the deal with the TV network and the sweetheart deals that the ownership group got for the ballpark, including the revenue from parking, they're going to be in Chicago at least until that point. That's so far in the future it's impossible to predict how things will evolve in terms of financing options for new buildings, growth in other parts of the country, etc. 5 years ago no one would have predicted the kind of insane TV money deals that are commonplace now, just to show how rapidly the economics are changing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 04:56 PM)
The team's lease on the ballpark runs through 2029. Between the deal with the TV network and the sweetheart deals that the ownership group got for the ballpark, including the revenue from parking, they're going to be in Chicago at least until that point. That's so far in the future it's impossible to predict how things will evolve in terms of financing options for new buildings, growth in other parts of the country, etc. 5 years ago no one would have predicted the kind of insane TV money deals that are commonplace now, just to show how rapidly the economics are changing.

Agree the Sox aren't going anywhere even with eventual new ownership.

Mark

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 06:16 AM)
Let's hear some names. I'll start with some obvious ones that'll get tossed around:

1. Ozzie Guillen- His .524 winning percentage with the Sox is a lot better than Ventura's. Left on bad terms though.

2. Dave Martinez- The next great manager according to everyone but the 30 GMs running teams. Worrisome that he hasn't been hired yet, particularly by the Rays.

3. Joe McEwing- Perennial managerial and been with the Sox awhile now. Good 3rd base coach outside whatever the f*** 2 nights ago was.

4. Sandy Alomar Jr- The coveted catcher to manager move. Being groomed as a manager by the Indians. Obvious Sox ties.

5. Joey Cora- Key part of the Guillen "glory days" but without the shenanigans. Vanderbilt educated.

That list is awful, but sadly, it is probably realistic. If I was limited to that list, the only guy I would consider is Alomar Jr. I wouldn't touch anyone else on the list (Martinez as a bench coach, but nothing more). I would hire Gardy or Bud Black, although would be extremely open to Sandy.

I wouldn't touch Ozzie / Martinez / McEwing. Cora is somewhat interesting and I like him, but I still think I stay away from him vs. Sandy (just a different ora about him) and of course Gardy / Bud Black.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 09:09 AM)

Mark

I think Robin will resign at the end of the season (barring a turn around). I also think Kenny moves on to another role (by his own accord) and Hahn gets the reigns to make his decisions and I wouldn't put it past the chairman to look at Dombrowski as a possible fit as president, I just don't know that Dave would be interested in the Sox job.