Potential Ventura replacements

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 7, 2015 -> 10:15 PM)
The thing with Robin is that he's done absolutely nothing in his time as Sox manager to deserve another year after this. The ideal scenario would be a Dombrowski/Bud Black combo to take over for Hahn/Ventura, but we could never get so lucky.

The white sox are becoming a very stale organization. Dombrowski and black would make sense but KW is here for as long as he wants.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (oldsox @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 02:46 AM)
If Sox need a low priced manager next year, try Skinner from Charlotte. He's paid his dues.

Is he highly thought of in baseball? I'd prefer somebody who has managed another team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:15 AM)
The thing with Robin is that he's done absolutely nothing in his time as Sox manager to deserve another year after this. The ideal scenario would be a Dombrowski/Bud Black combo to take over for Hahn/Ventura, but we could never get so lucky.

I agree. That combo would be fine with me. Ten years of Dombrowski would be a good way for him to end his career. I'd take it.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 03:49 AM)
Folks:

Remember...Robin has another year on his contract. JR does not like to pay people not to manage...and he personally like Ventura a lot.

Just sayin'

Mark

Excellent take. But there's always the do nothing front office job. Make him a community spokesperson or something. Robin is no dummy. He has to know his performance has been really poor. This team has had some "name" baseball players who have sucked sucked sucked in his tenure and the last couple years of Ozzeroo. His teams have done nothing. We're not even sniffing the playoffs.

I officially want Robin out BTW. Nothing will make me change my mind. I'm totally sick of the White Sox 2015 season. This win four in a row lose seven of eight crap is ridiculous and a lot of it is on the manager. I've heard of roller coaster but this is ridiculous. Every little win streak ends and is followed by horrific losing streaks.

Everybody knows it's going to culminate with some massive losing skein at some point in September that sends this team finally about 20 under.

Please get us a real manager for next season. To those Robin supporters answer this honestly: Do you want this guy taking us onto the field next April?? The chance of this bulls*** happening all over again is REAL!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Is he highly thought of in baseball? I'd prefer somebody who has managed another team.

I agree. That combo would be fine with me. Ten years of Dombrowski would be a good way for him to end his career. I'd take it.

Excellent take. But there's always the do nothing front office job. Make him a community spokesperson or something. Robin is no dummy. He has to know his performance has been really poor. This team has had some "name" baseball players who have sucked sucked sucked in his tenure and the last couple years of Ozzeroo. His teams have done nothing. We're not even sniffing the playoffs.

I officially want Robin out BTW. Nothing will make me change my mind. I'm totally sick of the White Sox 2015 season. This win four in a row lose seven of eight crap is ridiculous and a lot of it is on the manager. I've heard of roller coaster but this is ridiculous. Every little win streak ends and is followed by horrific losing streaks.

Everybody knows it's going to culminate with some massive losing skein at some point in September that sends this team finally about 20 under.

Please get us a real manager for next season. To those Robin supporters answer this honestly: Do you want this guy taking us onto the field next April?? The chance of this bulls*** happening all over again is REAL!

Greg: I agree Robin should go. In fact, i thought his hire was a mistake. But look at how well the team played just before the All Star break. Why??? Melky, Eaton, Abreu all got hot. Plus the arrival of Sanchez and Saladino settled the defense. then after the break they nose-dived. Why?? Rodon and Sale had back to back poor performances and Shark and Danks were good and bad. Robin needs to go if only for a change in the clubhouse. But manager's success is usually determined by player success. Boston fans are wrestling w John Farrell's fate. First year in Boston he wins a World Series and the next 2 years are a disaster. Did he forget how to manage???

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:28 AM)
Greg: I agree Robin should go. In fact, i thought his hire was a mistake. But look at how well the team played just before the All Star break. Why??? Melky, Eaton, Abreu all got hot. Plus the arrival of Sanchez and Saladino settled the defense. then after the break they nose-dived. Why?? Rodon and Sale had back to back poor performances and Shark and Danks were good and bad. Robin needs to go if only for a change in the clubhouse. But manager's success is usually determined by player success. Boston fans are wrestling w John Farrell's fate. First year in Boston he wins a World Series and the next 2 years are a disaster. Did he forget how to manage???

If you want me to say something positive about Robin, the White Sox haven't quit. They're not that good and they're not well prepared and their pitchers are gassed after the tough first half, but they haven't mentally checked out like the Indians or Red Sox have.

I think we're really grasping at straws to find reasons to keep Ventura as manager. His time as manager has been a disaster.

The team was ill-prepared coming out of spring training. We saw it.

He's managed a team that folded in a weak division in 2012.

He's had teams that did quit--2013. 99 losses? C'mon.

I'm hoping that with his career earnings and relationship with Reinsdorf and the organization, he'll step aside as manager and be "reassigned within the organization".

It's time for a change, and really, there's no good reason to argue this point anymore.

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
I think we're really grasping at straws to find reasons to keep Ventura as manager. His time as manager has been a disaster.

I'm hoping that with his career earnings and relationship with Reinsdorf and the organization, he'll step aside as manager and be "reassigned within the organization".

It's time for a change, and really, there's no good reason to argue this point anymore.

And I'll believe it when I see it. I'm expecting a contract extension.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:33 AM)
If you want me to say something positive about Robin, the White Sox haven't quit. They're not that good and they're not well prepared and their pitchers are gassed after the tough first half, but they haven't mentally checked out like the Indians or Red Sox have.

They played nice a couple weeks back and as a result did not sell.

They mentally checked out in April and never really appeared ready to go.

This organization became relevant with a one week run. In Chicago now they are about on par with the golf tourney or NASCAR race as at as relevance.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:55 AM)
They played nice a couple weeks back and as a result did not sell.

They mentally checked out in April and never really appeared ready to go.

This organization became relevant with a one week run. In Chicago now they are about on par with the golf tourney or NASCAR race as at as relevance.

Unfortunately I have to agree with that last statement 1000%.

Mark

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:40 AM)

this. my thoughts exactly. It's time for a change, and RV has to go. Same for KW IMHO, but I just don't see that happening unless Toronto makes a move for him...

I really hope they get rid of Buddy Bell as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 01:28 PM)

Great post. But the problem is sports aren't really fair. An objective person would say that, on paper, the team has enough pieces to contend for a wildcard. And really it's never been in contention for that. The players have let him down, sure, but that's what usually happens when a manager gets the axe. Robin doesn't need the job. He's rich. He'll be fine. Unfortunately it's time for a change.

I mean the last time the team got one under .500 he had a chance to carve out a long niche in Chicago as a manager, again. But immediately the team comes home and blows and now is falling in the opposite direction like an anvil. Bye Robin. Get out now while you still are thought of fondly and let the next guy try to get these overpaid ballplayers to play better baseball.

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 01:15 PM)
Someone that can have this team ready for '16. Fundamentally sound and not make brutal win costing decisions. Someone that can get the most out of these guys. I like Gardenhire as Robins replacement. I know Minnesota has sucked his past few seasons but he hasn't had the best teams. I just want Robin gone. I really do doubt that he's gone after the year.

Exactly!!! RV has to go! If he's not gone then I am!!

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)

I think Robin and staff should be replaced. I agree the team started poorly in April. But you say they were ill-prepared. Sale was hurt and Melky, Eaton and LaRoche had lousy months. How should Robin have gotten those 3 better prepared??? They are veteran players. The defense , especially, Johnson was bad. But that is on Hahn not Robin. The defense has been much better since they added Sanchez and Saladino but again that to me is on Hahn for going into this season w Micah and Conor as the incumbent infielders.

I think Hahn gave Robin a flawed team in several areas, several veterans did not produce and Robin and staff are not able to react to correct players who are struggling.

Take Melky. He stunk for several months and he has been on fire lately. Is Robin responsible for his slow start??? Is Robin the reason he is now on fire??? I would say Melky was in a slump and worked his way out of it.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 08:51 PM)
I think Robin and staff should be replaced. I agree the team started poorly in April. But you say they were ill-prepared. Sale was hurt and Melky, Eaton and LaRoche had lousy months. How should Robin have gotten those 3 better prepared??? They are veteran players. The defense , especially, Johnson was bad. But that is on Hahn not Robin. The defense has been much better since they added Sanchez and Saladino but again that to me is on Hahn for going into this season w Micah and Conor as the incumbent infielders.

I think Hahn gave Robin a flawed team in several areas, several veterans did not produce and Robin and staff are not able to react to correct players who are struggling.

Take Melky. He stunk for several months and he has been on fire lately. Is Robin responsible for his slow start??? Is Robin the reason he is now on fire??? I would say Melky was in a slump and worked his way out of it.

My guess with Melky remains that he was clean for 2 months and then resumed breaking the rules and hoping the testing regime wouldn't catch him. Only possible way a guy goes from that punchless to suddenly having huge power. But aside from that, if 3-4 guys on a team in the regular lineup all struggle for 2 months and under-perform...and they're not hurt, yes, that's the kind of thing that should fall on the manager for not having them ready to go.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 06:19 PM)
My guess with Melky remains that he was clean for 2 months and then resumed breaking the rules and hoping the testing regime wouldn't catch him. Only possible way a guy goes from that punchless to suddenly having huge power. But aside from that, if 3-4 guys on a team in the regular lineup all struggle for 2 months and under-perform...and they're not hurt, yes, that's the kind of thing that should fall on the manager for not having them ready to go.

Oh Balta at times you can make so much sense but then you say stuff like this . Maybe some players have ways to mask steroid use but most likely what you're saying is an unsubstantiated garbage because he was busted before.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 5, 2015 -> 08:16 AM)
Let's hear some names. I'll start with some obvious ones that'll get tossed around:

1. Ozzie Guillen- His .524 winning percentage with the Sox is a lot better than Ventura's. Left on bad terms though.

2. Dave Martinez- The next great manager according to everyone but the 30 GMs running teams. Worrisome that he hasn't been hired yet, particularly by the Rays.

3. Joe McEwing- Perennial managerial and been with the Sox awhile now. Good 3rd base coach outside whatever the f*** 2 nights ago was.

4. Sandy Alomar Jr- The coveted catcher to manager move. Being groomed as a manager by the Indians. Obvious Sox ties.

5. Joey Cora- Key part of the Guillen "glory days" but without the shenanigans. Vanderbilt educated.

Unfortunately, the list probably requires ex-White Sox players to be on it; I'd hope whoever the next manager is, should they move on, is somebody who advocates statistical metrics (defensive shifts, creativity within the lineup, reduced bunting, etc.), but it probably doesn't matter who the manager is until the minor league system is able to produce major league players (they have done well with pitchers, but now need hitters to start come through) that can make an impact at the major league level.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 11:06 PM)
Unfortunately, the list probably requires ex-White Sox players to be on it; I'd hope whoever the next manager is, should they move on, is somebody who advocates statistical metrics (defensive shifts, creativity within the lineup, reduced bunting, etc.), but it probably doesn't matter who the manager is until the minor league system is able to produce major league players (they have done well with pitchers, but now need hitters to start come through) that can make an impact at the major league level.

Remember Sale Rodon and Q are not really products of the minor league system. All three spent very little time being developed in the White Sox minor league. Webb did and hopefully a few more are in the pipeline.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 10:42 PM)
Remember Sale Rodon and Q are not really products of the minor league system. All three spent very little time being developed in the White Sox minor league. Webb did and hopefully a few more are in the pipeline.

While that's true, that's been the draft strategy of the White Sox; find players who are close to being able to contribute to the majors. They still have to draft the right guys and then get to succeed at the major league level (Quintana was not drafted by the Sox and was picked up as a flier, but they were able to capitalize on him);

This is one of those WTF posts that I can't believe I'm reading. Sounds like you did not watch any games before Memorial Day. Perhaps you were wrapped up with the Hawks bandwagon fans. Melky was absolutely crushing the ball for the first two months of the season and was the recipient of the worst luck I've probably seen ever by a player. Every time, seemingly, he came up, he crushed the ball right at somebody. Those balls are now finding holes and gaps. Check the stats on his BA of balls in play to verify this. No, he didn't all of a sudden start juicing again. He's a solid hitter.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 8, 2015 -> 09:42 PM)

They were drafted and developed/ing though. They're exceptions.

I didn't want to start a negative thread so I'll bring it up here about Robin/Melky/LaRoche. Should Robin or Jerry talk to Melky about not being a clown and LaRoche about shaving? LaRoche looks like an idiot with that shaggy beard IMO. He did hit a bomb on Friday but aside from that has been an utter failure as a Sox.

Melky gets on base and bear-hugs the first baseman; then he goes to second and bear-hugs the second baseman. He starts yapping into the Sox dugout and does it a long time. Just for getting a hit.

I mean if LaRoche has to have the beard, fine. But Melky is disrespecting the game. He's saying "look at me" all the time. I mean, Melky, the reason they are paying you zillions of dollars is they thought you'd help win games and get the team in the playoffs. The clown behavior has to stop at some point. It reflects poorly on Robin.

We need a tighter ship, folks and that means Gardenhire!