My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 07:59 PM)
I hope there's reports of the Sox going after both so that you can see, his value isn't as high as you or many people here like to think he is. To expand a bit as well, on talk radio here in LA, someone even brought up trading Puig for Quintana and they said not without another prospect or young hitting MLBer. When prospects were brought up, everyone said no to Seager or Urias for Quintana (they also talked about 4 other players as well). This was before the Dodgers got Latos and Wood.

This is how you're trying to get a read on Q's trade value? LA talk radio?!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 01:29 PM)
Chris Sale >>>> Nolan Arenado. Sorry, that's not homerism, that's just fact.

In my scenario, Quintana would net us Arenado who is a free agent in 2020. That is a Puig like return because he is a GG 3B, which are so rare to find. I trust the Sox with their pitching, that's why I could trade Q for this type of player.

Eh, I'll take an everyday player who is 24, plays a good 3B and rakes over a 26 year old stud pitcher who plays only once every 5 days. Any moneyballer would too. I would say it is homerism. Now, I wouldn't deal Sale for anything short of an Arrenado level player.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Sep 8, 2015 -> 01:53 PM)
Extend Qualifying Offer to SP Jeff Samardzija- he declines, Sox get a comp pick

Thoughts and what would you do this off season?

It's way too hard to predict trades.

I'll keep this simple and it's the same thing as should have been done last year but we're not "rebuilding".

1. Offer comp pick to Shark, see ya.

2. Trade Alexei and get younger and faster.

3. Trade Melky

4. If right trade comes up for Avi (or the right package) trade him. He is so young, it's hard to give up on him IMHO.

5. If at all possible, dump Danks. Doubtful on this.

6. If at all possble, trade La Roche-see #5.

7. If the right deal comes up, I'd trade Sale before his elbow falls off.

So going into next year:

1b: Abreu

2b: M. Johnson

SS: Saladino

3b Olt

C-Hopefully they can net someone useful in a trade. No more Flowers,

DH: LaRoche-he is untradeable a

LF-Eaton

CF: Thompson

RF: Garcia

1. Sale

2. Quintanna

3. Johnson\

4. Rodon

5. Danks

Bullpen

-Usual characters

Set Up: Nate Jones

Closer: Robertson

Sanchez can be a utility infielder

Schuck is 4th OFer

Find scrubs for the rest.

We should be rebuilding. No sense spending $115MM to suck when you can spend a lot less and be a lot worse and get a better draft pick.

Also, if you think any of the young unproven players listed above don't have a future in the big leagues, then they should be packaged in trades.

No signing players over the age of 30 to be everyday players as all they are doing is taking time away form younger players.

I would have suggested firing KW and RV (and keeping Hahn) but that obviously isn't happening.

Our defense would be a lot better, our pitching (overall) would be good. We didn't score many runs this year and probably won't next year but at least I won't be disappointed. I think Saladino has upside as a hitter. Olt was a top prospect at one point and I think he serves a chance to play everyday. Michah Johnson and his speed and work ethic intrigues me.

Bob

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 07:52 PM)
This is how you're trying to get a read on Q's trade value? LA talk radio?!

I'll look at LA talk radio and Dodger/Angel forums to familiarize myself on what an organization and its fans think of their prospects. It's no different than me going on Soxtalk and listening to Waddle & Silvy.

Let's put it this way, a team like the Dodgers rather just sign David Price and keep Seager than deal him for Sale or an ace of his stature which is why they didn't go make the trade for David Price during the deadline.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:22 PM)
Eh, I'll take an everyday player who is 24, plays a good 3B and rakes over a 26 year old stud pitcher who plays only once every 5 days. Any moneyballer would too. I would say it is homerism. Now, I wouldn't deal Sale for anything short of an Arrenado level player.

No, any moneyballer wouldn't, that's a ridiculous claim. There's a reason Sale is ranked #5 in Fangraphs' Trade Value column. Just because SP only pitch every 5 days doesn't mean they aren't as valuable as everyday position players. In fact, the top SP face more batters over the course of the season than the top hitters get PA.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:10 PM)
You honestly think we'd need to send prospects along with Quintana to acquire Frazier? You're vastly underrating him. He's young, left-handed, with a very cheap contract for many years, and he's solidified himself as a top 15 SP in baseball (at worst) and has been one of the most consistent pitchers in the game for more than 3 seasons now. You really think that couldn't get Todd Frazier?

Also, I would take what people say on talk radio with a huge grain of salt. The common fan might not know how good Q is (IMO he's easily the most underrated player in the game), but I guarantee you GMs know how good he is.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/appreciating-jose-quintana/

I don't think I would do that trade(some trades simply don't make sense for both teams sometimes) from the Sox perspective or the Reds perspective unless there was another move lined up already.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
The Dodgers fans/hosts valuing Puig over Quintana just shows you how underrated Quintana still is.

Puig also still has worldly potential and marketability if that counts for anything. To me, it'd be a pretty even trade if you did Q for Puig, but I just know, for the Dodgers, it isn't sexy enough especially when they got the money to get someone as good if not better than Q.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 09:55 PM)
No, any moneyballer wouldn't, that's a ridiculous claim. There's a reason Sale is ranked #5 in Fangraphs' Trade Value column. Just because SP only pitch every 5 days doesn't mean they aren't as valuable as everyday position players. In fact, the top SP face more batters over the course of the season than the top hitters get PA.

I disagree. No, they wouldn't take an everyday player like LaRoche over Sale since LaRoche is that bad and Sale is that great that even if he pitched one pitch every 5 days, he'd still be more valuable.

But if you're comparing Arrenado and Sale, I think you'll see all of them take Nolan.

I wonder what it would take to get Manny Machado.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
I disagree. No, they wouldn't take an everyday player like LaRoche over Sale since LaRoche is that bad and Sale is that great that even if he pitched one pitch every 5 days, he'd still be more valuable.

But if you're comparing Arrenado and Sale, I think you'll see all of them take Nolan.

2015 WAR:

Sale: 6.2

Arenado: 4.4

You're wrong.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:25 PM)

I was just thinking a Sale for Machado trade recently .

now is the biggest question.

with the top 10 being protected.... will the sox get a top notch FA?

a top notch fa with a couple of middle fa to help out, like a player who can play multi position including 3b. that will be nice.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 06:40 AM)
now is the biggest question.

with the top 10 being protected.... will the sox get a top notch FA?

a top notch fa with a couple of middle fa to help out, like a player who can play multi position including 3b. that will be nice.

I think the odds are against it, but it's nice to know they still will be selecting high if they do sign a QO guy.

Doesn't appear to be much offense on the free agent list. Zobrist seems like a guy who could really help the team, but he's older, and one of the most fascinating free agents IMO. Sabermetrically, he's been one of the better players in baseball the last 4 or 5 years. Will that translate to saber dollars?

Desmond is an interesting guy to me. I think he will get a QO. Had a bad year, but has had some success in the past.

Weiters is a Boras guy with question marks and upside.

Unfortunately for the White Sox, this isn't the free agent class of the hitter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:17 AM)
What about Puig + pitching prospect for Quintana? I love Q, but the team needs hitting but I think he is more valuable than Puig so I'd like for them to grab a prospect in a deal with the Dodgers.

I would love to see Puig as a White Sox. It's the one Caulfield obsession that actually makes sense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:21 AM)
I would love to see Puig as a White Sox. It's the one Caulfield obsession that actually makes sense.

Yep. Stick him in RF. I just don't know what they would do with Avi. Deal him somewhere for another young player who has struggled a bit (either a pitcher or infielder)?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:36 AM)
Yep. Stick him in RF. I just don't know what they would do with Avi. Deal him somewhere for another young player who has struggled a bit (either a pitcher or infielder)?

Q for Puig is one of those trades that make so much sense, it will probably never happen. If they were able to swing it though, I would look to move Avi for a high leverage bullpen arm. Some people might see that as a downgrade in value, but I think it would be huge to move Jones to the 7th inning.

QUOTE (fathom @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:49 PM)
Hell no to Puig. Health and attitude issues galore. Also not sure about the dynamic with Abreu

you make an excellent point esp with his attitude.

only way will be 2 fold,

the sox gets the lion share of the trade and if Jose A signs off.

next yr, dodgers need to fix their our field numbers and get a cost control pitcher not via FA's.

per dodger webs sites.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Oct 4, 2015 -> 08:13 PM)
I mean, that's great LA talk radio feels that way, but fact is Quintana has been more valuable over the last 3 seasons than Puig (13.4 WAR vs. 10.9). Frazier has 2 years left on his contract and is 3 years older than Quintana. Quintana is the most valuable of the 3.

Q for Frazier would be awful. I'm not opposed to trading for Frazier, but Q being involved doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Q for Frazier would be awful. I'm not opposed to trading for Frazier, but Q being involved doesn't make any sense.

I agree. We can definitely create a package that doesn't include Q.

It'll be interesting what the Reds do because they literally have 0 pitching and 0 bullpen outside of Chapman. Their offense is still solid but aging.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)

It'll be interesting what the Reds do because they literally have 0 pitching and 0 bullpen outside of Chapman. Their offense is still solid but aging.

You mean the offense that finished 26th in the MLB in runs scored?

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:42 AM)

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:46 AM)
You mean the offense that finished 26th in the MLB in runs scored?

This is an awesome interactive graphic that shows how the team offenses stacked up:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs...ts-interactive/