My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
I think the odds are against it, but it's nice to know they still will be selecting high if they do sign a QO guy.

Doesn't appear to be much offense on the free agent list. Zobrist seems like a guy who could really help the team, but he's older, and one of the most fascinating free agents IMO. Sabermetrically, he's been one of the better players in baseball the last 4 or 5 years. Will that translate to saber dollars?

Desmond is an interesting guy to me. I think he will get a QO. Had a bad year, but has had some success in the past.

Weiters is a Boras guy with question marks and upside.

Unfortunately for the White Sox, this isn't the free agent class of the hitter.

actually i think there are some interesting hitters on the market.... but with anything, it comes down to cost.... b/c as much i was the owners to dabble in the fa market, i am also concern with the cost.

meaning overpaying.

QUOTE (LDF @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 11:05 AM)
actually i think there are some interesting hitters on the market.... but with anything, it comes down to cost.... b/c as much i was the owners to dabble in the fa market, i am also concern with the cost.

meaning overpaying.

You always overpay in free agency, no matter who it is.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 10:36 AM)
Q for Frazier would be awful. I'm not opposed to trading for Frazier, but Q being involved doesn't make any sense.

I think the Sox are capable of trading for him without giving up Q. Not even sure the Reds would want Q, they look like they are in the very beginning of a rebuild.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)
Trading Q for anything short of an Arenado type player would be a mistake. Moving him would leave a big hole in the rotation.

here is an honest question, while i agree about the hole in the rotation, are you over valuing Q worth??? be honest.

i know you said Arenado type player.

OK, my offseason plan:

Give Samardzija the QO. If he refuses it and also won't take a 4-year deal from the Sox, then the starting pitching is probably going to have to come from in-house. The only FA pitchers that excite me are Happ and Zimmerman but they are going to get far more from some other team than I would want the Sox to offer them. If for some reason Samardzija does take the QO or re-sign, then eat as much of Danks' salary as necessary to move him. Pencil in Johnson for the 5th spot with possible competition from Adams or Montas.

Sign at least one of AJP or Soto for catcher. If you can get both signed before the tender deadline then non-tender Flowers.

Go really hard after Ben Zobrist or Howie Kendrick and pick up Alexei's option. As much as I like both Sanchez and Saladino defensively, you just can't have both their bats in the lineup, and Anderson is probably a year away.

More playing time for Thompson in the OF. Make LaRoche and Garcia a DH platoon, with Garcia getting some OF time in addition if he improves at the plate.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:54 PM)
I see no reason (aside from trading for hitting) that we don't just roll with Sale Q Rodon Danks Erik Johnson

i totally agree. that starting 3 are going to put up some numbers when the rest of the team is figured out.

i still would invest in a sp who has not QO and is in the last leg of his career. i still like to have 1 extra sp just in case....

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 08:31 PM)
OK, my offseason plan:

Give Samardzija the QO. If he refuses it and also won't take a 4-year deal from the Sox, then the starting pitching is probably going to have to come from in-house. The only FA pitchers that excite me are Happ and Zimmerman but they are going to get far more from some other team than I would want the Sox to offer them. If for some reason Samardzija does take the QO or re-sign, then eat as much of Danks' salary as necessary to move him. Pencil in Johnson for the 5th spot with possible competition from Adams or Montas.

Sign at least one of AJP or Soto for catcher. If you can get both signed before the tender deadline then non-tender Flowers.

Go really hard after Ben Zobrist or Howie Kendrick and pick up Alexei's option. As much as I like both Sanchez and Saladino defensively, you just can't have both their bats in the lineup, and Anderson is probably a year away.

More playing time for Thompson in the OF. Make LaRoche and Garcia a DH platoon, with Garcia getting some OF time in addition if he improves at the plate.

you are the first person i saw who mention this. this is a huge win win situation. plays 2b, 3b 1b and yes dh.

now the 3b is not that many, but for a person who can handle 2b and 1b.... i just figure 3b would be ok.

My pie in the sky plan:

-Make qualifying offer to Shark (he rejects).

-Exercise Alexei Ramirez's option

-Resign Albers to 1/$2.5M deal.

-Get whatever you can for Flowers

Free Agents & Acquistions

-Sign Jayson Heyward to 6/$150M deal

-Sign Ben Zobrist to 2/$30M deal (may require 3/$40 to get it done)

-Sign Fister, Latos or Kennedy to 1 year incentive laden deal

-Sign John Jaso (C/1B/DH)

-Trade John Danks and Adam LaRoche (+5M) for Melvin Upton Jr and Austin Hedges

-Trade Avi Garcia and Micah Johnson for a C. I'd like to see Lucroy, but realize that may require another piece - maybe Michalczewski or Danish in addition to those guys. I'd lean towards moving Trey due to the addition of McMahon (see below).

1. Eaton, CF

2. Zobrist, 3B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Heyward, RF

5. Cabrera, LF

6. Lucroy, C (DHs against LHP; Hedges catches)

7. Jaso, DH (sits versus LHP)

8. Ramirez, SS

9. Sanchez, 2B

UTIL: Saladino

OF: Thompson

OF: Melvin Upton Jr.

BC: Hedges (catches 3 times a week; Lucroy shifts to DH or 1B)

#1: Sale

#2: Quintana

#3: Rodon

#4: Johnson

#5: Fister / Latos / Kennedy (Fulmer mid-season call-up if necessary)

CL: Robertson

SU: Jones

SU: Duke

MR: Putnam

MR: Jennings

MR: Petricka

MR: Albers

Other moves: Frankie Montas traded for a prospect of more need to the White Sox. 3B Ryan McMahon in the Rockies organization makes a ton of sense - blocked by Arenado, can step in for Zobrist after his 2 year expires at 3B, or Zobrist can move to 2B or OF (where ever needed) if McMahon pushes Zobrist off 3B before his contract expires.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 09:05 PM)
My pie in the sky plan:

-Make qualifying offer to Shark (he rejects).

-Exercise Alexei Ramirez's option

-Resign Albers to 1/$2.5M deal.

-Get whatever you can for Flowers

Free Agents & Acquistions

-Sign Jayson Heyward to 6/$150M deal

-Sign Ben Zobrist to 2/$30M deal (may require 3/$40 to get it done)

-Sign Fister, Latos or Kennedy to 1 year incentive laden deal

-Sign John Jaso (C/1B/DH)

-Trade John Danks and Adam LaRoche (+5M) for Melvin Upton Jr and Austin Hedges

-Trade Avi Garcia and Micah Johnson for a C. I'd like to see Lucroy, but realize that may require another piece - maybe Michalczewski or Danish in addition to those guys. I'd lean towards moving Trey due to the addition of McMahon (see below).

1. Eaton, CF

2. Zobrist, 3B

3. Abreu, 1B

4. Heyward, RF

5. Cabrera, LF

6. Lucroy, C (DHs against LHP; Hedges catches)

7. Jaso, DH (sits versus LHP)

8. Ramirez, SS

9. Sanchez, 2B

UTIL: Saladino

OF: Thompson

OF: Melvin Upton Jr.

BC: Hedges (catches 3 times a week; Lucroy shifts to DH or 1B)

#1: Sale

#2: Quintana

#3: Rodon

#4: Johnson

#5: Fister / Latos / Kennedy (Fulmer mid-season call-up if necessary)

CL: Robertson

SU: Jones

SU: Duke

MR: Putnam

MR: Jennings

MR: Petricka

MR: Albers

Other moves: Frankie Montas traded for a prospect of more need to the White Sox. 3B Ryan McMahon in the Rockies organization makes a ton of sense - blocked by Arenado, can step in for Zobrist after his 2 year expires at 3B, or Zobrist can move to 2B or OF (where ever needed) if McMahon pushes Zobrist off 3B before his contract expires.

ref the bold, that is a surprise... i never thought of. i like it.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 04:53 PM)
All offseason we're going to hear anyone 30+ or anyone from the NL "would suck on the Sox." The season has been done for one day and I have already heard it multiple times.

We have reason to believe it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:01 PM)
We have reason to believe it.

And yet the names of Arenado, Frazier, Heyward and Puig continue to be mentioned.

Point is that the Sox aren't the only team that has bad luck with trades and FA signings and, IMHO, should not be deterred from NL players just because they have not had luck with them in recent years.

I think I'm leaning toward the following "take it on the chin" line up for next year

C - Flowers

1b - Abreu

2b - Micah

SS - Carlos (still realistic?)

3b - Saladino/Olt

OF - Melky

OF - Eaton/Trayce

OF - Avi/Trayce

DH - LaRoche/Avi

P- Sale

P - Q

P - Rodon

P - EJ

P - Danks

It would be rough, but best case scenario you can pull a mets like season and go for it. Realistically it tops out at 78 wins. The next year Anderson is there, Fulmer is there, and you have another year of top ten trade talent.

QUOTE (Mike F. @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:11 PM)
All I know is that signing Heyward would be a MAJOR mistake. The money the Sox would use on him would be much better spent on other areas of weakness like catcher, shortstop, or third base.

Absolutely agree with you. There are too many holes to fill on limited money so spending 20-25M per season on one player would be stupid.

I would be secretly excited about Alex Gordon, somehow ridding ourselves of Melky and rolling with Gordon/Trayce/Eaton in the outfield.

I also recognize it would not be a good idea. But I have outfield seats and that would be fun to watch.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 5, 2015 -> 05:18 PM)
I think I'm leaning toward the following "take it on the chin" line up for next year

C - Flowers

1b - Abreu

2b - Micah

SS - Carlos (still realistic?)

3b - Saladino/Olt

OF - Melky

OF - Eaton/Trayce

OF - Avi/Trayce

DH - LaRoche/Avi

P- Sale

P - Q

P - Rodon

P - EJ

P - Danks

It would be rough, but best case scenario you can pull a mets like season and go for it. Realistically it tops out at 78 wins. The next year Anderson is there, Fulmer is there, and you have another year of top ten trade talent.

I don't think Hahn/KW will roll out this type of lineup because they don't want to waste more prime seasons from Abreu/Sale/Eaton/Quintana as self-admitted non-contenders.