My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

The White Sox have one strength in their pitching.

They will have Shoeless Joe Jackson/Comiskey Family Peace Day before they'll shell out double Abreu's contract for a pitcher who will likely decline in his 30s from all the wear and tear.

Not to mention Greinke only had one really great season in the AL, he was very good but not great for most of his Royals career so I would be incredibly hesitant.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
New updated mock that I was thinking of last night.

Give Samardzija QO, he rejects it.

Pick up Alexei's 10 million option

Resign:

RP Matt Albers 1 year/3 million

Free Agency:

Sign SP Zack Grienke 5 years/150 million

Trades

Sox trade 2B Micah Johnson and RF Avisail Garcia to the Padres for C Derek Norris

Sox trade SP Erik Johnson, 3B Trey Michalczewski, SP Frankie Montas, 2B Carlos Sanchez, and SP Tyler Danish to the Reds for 3B Todd Frazier and 2B/SS Zack Cozart

CF Eaton (L)

2B Cozart (L)

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera (S)

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche (L)

RF Thompson

SS Ramirez

C Norris

UTIL Saladino, OF Shuck, C Flowers, 1B/3B Olt

Sale (L)

Grienke

Quintana (L)

Rodon (L)

Danks (L)

RP Carroll (long man)

RP Jennings (L)

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Duke (L)

RP Jones

CP Robertson

Thoughts?

I like this plan, but I don't see them shelling out $150 million for Greinke.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:16 AM)
New updated mock that I was thinking of last night.

Give Samardzija QO, he rejects it.

Pick up Alexei's 10 million option

Resign:

RP Matt Albers 1 year/3 million

Free Agency:

Sign SP Zack Grienke 5 years/150 million

Trades

Sox trade 2B Micah Johnson and RF Avisail Garcia to the Padres for C Derek Norris

Sox trade SP Erik Johnson, 3B Trey Michalczewski, SP Frankie Montas, 2B Carlos Sanchez, and SP Tyler Danish to the Reds for 3B Todd Frazier and 2B/SS Zack Cozart

CF Eaton (L)

2B Cozart (L)

1B Abreu

LF Cabrera (S)

3B Frazier

DH LaRoche (L)

RF Thompson

SS Ramirez

C Norris

UTIL Saladino, OF Shuck, C Flowers, 1B/3B Olt

Sale (L)

Grienke

Quintana (L)

Rodon (L)

Danks (L)

RP Carroll (long man)

RP Jennings (L)

RP Putnam

RP Petricka

RP Duke (L)

RP Jones

CP Robertson

Thoughts?

Greinke would never come here. He hates U.S. Cellular Field. Not sure he'd be a fit with media either. He's in a big market but LA is way different than NY, Boston, or Chicago

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:21 AM)
The White Sox have one strength in their pitching.

They will have Shoeless Joe Jackson/Comiskey Family Peace Day before they'll shell out double Abreu's contract for a pitcher who will likely decline in his 30s from all the wear and tear.

Not to mention Greinke only had one really great season in the AL, he was very good but not great for most of his Royals career so I would be incredibly hesitant.

And not to mention Greinke hates our mound and us, so he'd never sign with us.

QUOTE (scs787 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 01:02 PM)
I would much rather blow a load on Cespedes if the Mets let him walk.

I agree. If they're going to shell out $100M, spend on this guy.

Edited by bjm676

QUOTE (bjm676 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 04:28 PM)
I agree. If they're going to shell out $100M, spend on this guy.

Cespedes is a nice player and all, but he is not what the Sox need. Another mediocre at best defensive outfielder who hardly walks at all (low OBP) and strike out a bunch, and for around $25M AAV. That is a contract that you're going to regret (as are most FA signing these days). I for one hope the Sox stay away from Cespedes at that price.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Cespedes is a nice player and all, but he is not what the Sox need. Another mediocre at best defensive outfielder who hardly walks at all (low OBP) and strike out a bunch, and for around $25M AAV. That is a contract that you're going to regret (as are most FA signing these days). I for one hope the Sox stay away from Cespedes at that price.

I don't want Cespedes either, but for what it's worth both UZR and DRS rated him as a very good fielder this season.

I admittedly haven't seen much of Cespedes in the field, but when I have seen him, he hasn't looked terrible. That gun attached to his body makes up for a lot of mistakes.

Sox lack power, and Cespedes has lots of it.

Him and Abreu friends? Money talks but maybe he offers up a slight discount to play with him.

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
DH, C, 3B, and maybe 2B are what we really need to work on. I would also like to grab another SP (Sale, Q, Rodon, Johnson, FA P), move Danks to the bullpen or trade him for nothing.

Sox aren't going to move Danks to the pen and aren't going to eat his contract to trade him. Will likely be a august move when he has contract is alot lower.

I'm glad you're not in the FO.

Cespedes is EXACTLY what they should be spending $ on.

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

I don't think there is a type the Sox should be spending their money on. If they don't play SP or 1B, the Sox need to look at upgrades at all positions. Cespedes would represent a large upgrade in the OF. Whether or not you agree with his plate philosophy, it's a start. The plan to rebuild is simple.

1)Acquire as much talent as possible.

2)Trade away pieces that don't fit for more talent.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:30 PM)
I'm glad you're not in the FO.

Cespedes is EXACTLY what they should be spending $ on.

The Sox have too many holes in the infield to wrap up that kind of money on one outfielder. Besides, unless the Sox move a big contract or increase payroll, the money simply is not there. Cespedes is part of a WS team, why the hell would he sign with a 76 win team? Surely a playoff team or a team in much better shape to contend next year can offer up as much as the Sox and probably more.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Oct 21, 2015 -> 11:54 PM)
Players go where the money is. If a 76 win team offers the most money, 99% of players aren't going to give a s*** about the record.

Do you really think the Sox could offer the most money? I'm not saying the Sox are cheap but with the current roster the payroll is around 114/115M. A player like Cespedes would put them close to 140M without addressing the infield needs. Unless some Sox players improved upon their 2015 numbers, Cespedes only makes the Sox a .500 team. Sox need much more than one hitter.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 22, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Do you really think the Sox could offer the most money? I'm not saying the Sox are cheap but with the current roster the payroll is around 114/115M. A player like Cespedes would put them close to 140M without addressing the infield needs. Unless some Sox players improved upon their 2015 numbers, Cespedes only makes the Sox a .500 team. Sox need much more than one hitter.

I'm not saying the Sox could or should offer the most money, but everything else is secondary to the amount offered, record of team be damned.