My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
The problem there is spending $12 million for a declining veteran who has about five percent probability of being better in 2017-19 when they will most need him.

That move is all-in for this year, then you need to deal with the majority of other major roster issues as well.

2b is the one area we have some young depth, albeit with uncertain upside.

Kendrick has been a model of consistency, not sure how he's declining

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
The White Sox seem to be waiting until the last minute to announce what they are going to do with Alexei. Makes me think they either trying to get him to sign a lesser contract. It is at least worth a shot.

Agree. Deadline is tomorrow night correct?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 04:43 PM)
Trade SP Erik Johnson, RF Avail Garcia, 3B Trey Michalczewski, OF Courtney Hawkins, and SP Tyler Danish to the Reds for 3B Todd Fraizer and SP Nick Howard

Trade OF Trayce Thompson and 2B Micah Johnson to the Padres for C Derek Norris

not to be flip, but the suggested massive overpays and chasing heroes is exactly what the Sox should NOT do.

Norris is essentially Phegley from the different side of the plate.

Todd Frazier had an OPS of c .650 in the 2nd half. His home/road splits are gigantic as well. He's the precise type player that the Sox should avoid. Plus, the price you suggest paying is what an elite player would command. Under no method of analysis is Todd Frazier an elite player.

In the end, the Sox still have a poor defensive team, with a substantially weakened farm, and filled 2 holes with okay, not great, players. Not a contender.

Upton is a good player, but not a great player. Pass on 7/140.

Defense, bullpen, young players is the ticket.

Sox need to add young talent, not dump it for over-rated heroes.

Go after FAs when the foundation is set.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 06:03 PM)
The White Sox seem to be waiting until the last minute to announce what they are going to do with Alexei. Makes me think they either trying to get him to sign a lesser contract. It is at least worth a shot.

Just let him go.

He's an aging, declining player, and makes too many mental errors.

Why they want to hang onto him like he's special is mind boggling, except that the sox are a ridiculously sentimental and hero-worshiping organization.

Sox need a culture change.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 3, 2015 -> 04:03 PM)

It's clearly what they ought to do rather than just pick up the option. They managed to take 10% off Uribe's option salary in 2008.

with the success of the northsiders, i will say one thing.

the sox's needs to come out with guns blazing. i would love the sox to fill up multi needs or holes in 1 fell swoop. but that will not happen, what they need to do is to make some exciting noise.

something that the fans can see and hear, as they did last yr. if this is done, and done right, they will be able to continue to bring fans back. see those extra tickets and season tickets, and just maybe, they will not loose too may already season ticket holders.

i hope they, the sox will not loose too much ground from last yr, success and just maybe stay close to the ticket sales. this is a large order and is going to require the sox FO to have some major stones to make the hard decision that is or will be needed.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:59 AM)

the sox's needs to come out with guns blazing. i would love the sox to fill up multi needs or holes in 1 fell swoop. but that will not happen, what they need to do is to make some exciting noise.

something that the fans can see and hear, as they did last yr. if this is done, and done right, they will be able to continue to bring fans back. see those extra tickets and season tickets, and just maybe, they will not loose too may already season ticket holders.

i hope they, the sox will not loose too much ground from last yr, success and just maybe stay close to the ticket sales. this is a large order and is going to require the sox FO to have some major stones to make the hard decision that is or will be needed.

I wish they would have gotten the offseason started right by firing Ventura but, that didn't happen. Then the Alomar thing. I'm waiting for something positive to happen. Going forward one can only hope.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:46 AM)
Yeah I don't get that either. I also don't get the comp to Phegley.

Norris is much better against lefties than righties. Like Phegley, there are ongoing criticisms about his D and his pitch-calling. His OPS was barely 700.

And when you want to trade away a young 2B who can hit, a CF who did nothing but rake and play great D, Norris must be a hero. There can be no other explanation to pay that kind of price.

Most teams would use Thompson and Micah...the sox have so little creativity and the manager so limited in skill, that they don't know what to do with them except assign Thompson as 4th OF.

Both have skills well above the Sox median...find a way to use those skills. (Micah can hit; Thompson can defend and might be able to hit- at least he has so far)

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 05:59 AM)

If we're using last year's offseason as a model for luring in season ticket sales (ie, something they can see and hear) then we're doomed to fail. If management concerns themself with building a sustainable winning ballclub, not just a team of "stop-gaps" we may be headed somewhere. Let's say an unbelievable offer comes along for Sale -- you take it, regardless of whether there's an emotional attachment to him.

It always goes back to the team, anyway. If they're sluggish in April it'll completely undo any excitement from the offseason.

anyway here's my suggestion, which is sure to be met with applause! (Or not).

Trade Eaton and Melky to the Padres for Norris, Solarte, Ross and a prospect.

Trade Q to Redsox for Bradley JR, Chtistian Vasquez and prospects.

2 holes plugged (albeit no better than plugged) and a killer OF defense with 2 guys who can cover ground and Avi's arm.

Need to add a power bat, although I don't know what to do about Laroche.

Could eve re-sign Alexei at half price now that the other 2 clowns are gone. Saladino the utility guy.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:39 AM)
anyway here's my suggestion, which is sure to be met with applause! (Or not).

Trade Eaton and Melky to the Padres for Norris, Solarte, Ross and a prospect.

Trade Q to Redsox for Bradley JR, Chtistian Vasquez and prospects.

2 holes plugged (albeit no better than plugged) and a killer OF defense with 2 guys who can cover ground and Avi's arm.

Need to add a power bat, although I don't know what to do about Laroche.

Could eve re-sign Alexei at half price now that the other 2 clowns are gone. Saladino the utility guy.

I think your goal is to have the White Sox carry 25 guys making minimum losing 130 games.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:11 AM)
Norris is much better against lefties than righties. Like Phegley, there are ongoing criticisms about his D and his pitch-calling. His OPS was barely 700.

And when you want to trade away a young 2B who can hit, a CF who did nothing but rake and play great D, Norris must be a hero. There can be no other explanation to pay that kind of price.

Most teams would use Thompson and Micah...the sox have so little creativity and the manager so limited in skill, that they don't know what to do with them except assign Thompson as 4th OF.

Both have skills well above the Sox median...find a way to use those skills. (Micah can hit; Thompson can defend and might be able to hit- at least he has so far)

His OPS was barely .700... in a pitchers' park at the weakest offensive position in baseball.

The problem is you throw the word hero around so often it has completely lost all meaning. From what I can tell, it seems to describe all guys who have ever succeeded in MLB but either aren't the absolute best or aren't at the top of their game.

Sometimes there's value in acquiring some of those.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 02:11 PM)
I wish they would have gotten the offseason started right by firing Ventura but, that didn't happen. Then the Alomar thing. I'm waiting for something positive to happen. Going forward one can only hope.

the success of the chi team in the NL will hopefully jump start this club. i this team can do so much more with the fans coming in, it is just that they need to show the fans that they are doing something. the sox fans wants to have a playoff team or even a team that wins.

we are die hard fans. every time i come to chi i go to every sox game i can. it is that we the fans need to see improvements.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 03:22 PM)
If we're using last year's offseason as a model for luring in season ticket sales (ie, something they can see and hear) then we're doomed to fail. If management concerns themself with building a sustainable winning ballclub, not just a team of "stop-gaps" we may be headed somewhere. Let's say an unbelievable offer comes along for Sale -- you take it, regardless of whether there's an emotional attachment to him.

It always goes back to the team, anyway. If they're sluggish in April it'll completely undo any excitement from the offseason.

i really think something like a 1/2 or last yr and more of an applied knowledged that things need to go that extra to finish it. now what is the little extra is the main question....

Here's my thoughts. We have a bad offense.

If we acquire a top 8-11 catcher, we'd be moving from, what 78 wrC+ to 100 and that would cost either a lot of prospects or 18-22 million

To acquire a top ten 2b, we'd move from a 60 wrC+ player to 110 wrC+ for much cheaper. If they really want to win now, kendrick really makes sense.

Now, if you admit that this year is impossible to win in, you let sanchez/micah at 2b and flowers at C unless it presents itself.

Do any of the posters who mention season ticket sales have season tickets or ever had season tickets?

I think if not, you should know the most expensive seats will always be sold. The mass exodus usually will be the people in the corners paying $140 for a weekend plan. So as much as you want and some hope when the season ticket base drops 10 or 20 percent, that the ticket sales total number drops that much, you are way off base. Last years model inspired some ticket sales. If they have a good off season they will inspire more. Not from people who aren't going to buy no matter what, but the majority of season ticketholders like the way they are treated by the team.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 05:44 PM)
Here's my thoughts. We have a bad offense.

If we acquire a top 8-11 catcher, we'd be moving from, what 78 wrC+ to 100 and that would cost either a lot of prospects or 18-22 million

To acquire a top ten 2b, we'd move from a 60 wrC+ player to 110 wrC+ for much cheaper. If they really want to win now, kendrick really makes sense.

Now, if you admit that this year is impossible to win in, you let sanchez/micah at 2b and flowers at C unless it presents itself.

either way it is a plan that posters can see and at least something the fans can relate to. to give confidence to would be season ticket holders or the other fans to buy a weekend pkg or something.

btw... a very great post.