My/Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:09 PM)
Then I guess we're dealing Quintana otherwise we aren't getting a significant upgrade. My idea of having Freese keeps our pitching staff intact which it won't be if we upgrade significantly at multiple spots.

If we're relying on Freese to be a big upgrade, we're punting the season anyways. Hold onto your big three starters and give guys like Saladino, Sanchez, Micah, Avi, & Thompson a look on the position player side. Target 2017 to be the year we're serious about competing.

Having said that, why can't we trade minor leaguers or sign better free agents than Freese to fill needs? Why does it have to Quintana or nothing?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:15 PM)
If we're relying on Freese to be a big upgrade, we're punting the season anyways. Hold onto your big three starters and give guys like Saladino, Sanchez, Micah, Avi, & Thompson a look on the position player side. Target 2017 to be the year we're serious about competing.

Having said that, why can't we trade minor leaguers or sign better free agents than Freese to fill needs? Why does it have to Quintana or nothing?

Because the guys people on here actually want to trade are guys who won't bring in anyone "significant." They can bring someone in but doubt it would make a difference.

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
i need to say, i usually try to stay out of this type of post, well b/c i really do not like the fantasy type of dreams. but there is a fine line of some unrealistic ideas and not. many will probably say my ideas may be more unrealistic as all combine.

but i was thinking of

trying to swing a trade with Pitt but the uncertainty of Pedro Alvarez being left off the team or not is or will pose as a problem.

but trade for Pedro Alvarez, Clay Holmes

the sox trade laroche, Beck, Thad Lowry and the sox give 2-3 mil toward laroche contract.

with stl.. it will all depend on Jason Heyward and if stl resigns him.

trade from the sox Melky Cabrera, Rodon, Montas

the cards trade Jack Flaherty, Harrison Bader, c-Mike Ohlman, Paul DeJong, Luke Weaver or Sandy Alcantara

lastly approach yanks to see if they would trade

c-Gary Sanchez, Slade Heathcott, or Dustin Fowler

sox will trade

Danish, EJ and Sanburn

edit.... oops i forgot i would like for the sox to get Price and Marco Estrada

WAIT, WHAT?!?!?

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:18 PM)
Because the guys people on here actually want to trade are guys who won't bring in anyone "significant." They can bring someone in but doubt it would make a difference.

Todd Frazier would be a significant upgrade and I don't think his cost will be as much as people are expecting. Prospects are at an all-time high in terms of value. I actually think you could get him without having to give up Anderson or Fulmer, who are the only two untouchables in the system IMO.

Any chance of a deal where the Sox send prospects and a bad contract (likely Danks) to the Reds for Todd Frazier and Homer Bailey? Hal McRae (respected former Reds beat writer) reported Dye for Bailey was a done deal back in '08 and we all know that Kenny has a habit of "getting his guy" about 5 years too late.

I don't pretend to have any intel on the Homer's progress in his recovery from Tommy John, but I do know he has a very high ceiling. Like "get hot and carry your team through a playoff run" kind of ceiling. If the Sox are able to essentially buy his '16 salary down to zero by dumping a bad contract and maybe even get some cash back, it would essentially turn Bailey's deal into 4/63.

I think it would be possible that Cincinnati would even shop Aroldis Chapman if it meant getting out of a bad deal or two (Bruce being the other) and/or acquiring an attractive group of prospects.

Obviously, taking on a huge contract like Bailey's coming off injury & consequently surgery is a huge gamble, but I'm not sure the White Sox will be able to go from 76 wins & several huge position player holes to fill, to 90+ wins, without taking some serious risks.

Edited by GREEDY

QUOTE (LDF @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:00 PM)
i need to say, i usually try to stay out of this type of post, well b/c i really do not like the fantasy type of dreams. but there is a fine line of some unrealistic ideas and not. many will probably say my ideas may be more unrealistic as all combine.

but i was thinking of

trying to swing a trade with Pitt but the uncertainty of Pedro Alvarez being left off the team or not is or will pose as a problem.

but trade for Pedro Alvarez, Clay Holmes

the sox trade laroche, Beck, Thad Lowry and the sox give 2-3 mil toward laroche contract.

with stl.. it will all depend on Jason Heyward and if stl resigns him.

trade from the sox Melky Cabrera, Rodon, Montas

the cards trade Jack Flaherty, Harrison Bader, c-Mike Ohlman, Paul DeJong, Luke Weaver or Sandy Alcantara

lastly approach yanks to see if they would trade

c-Gary Sanchez, Slade Heathcott, or Dustin Fowler

sox will trade

Danish, EJ and Sanburn

edit.... oops i forgot i would like for the sox to get Price and Marco Estrada

How many games will this team win? I think less than 70. That Rodon trade is awful.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 10:07 PM)
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11/04/whi...oll-obligation/

Sox have about 105 million roster right now. Wonder how much they go up to

We were at about $119M last year according to this:

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/chicago-white-sox/payroll/2015/

I think $130M seems like a reasonable projection, although I'm sure I'll be in the minority in guessing that.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 06:32 PM)
Any chance of a deal where the Sox send prospects and a bad contract (likely Danks) to the Reds for Todd Frazier and Homer Bailey? Hal McRae (respected former Reds beat writer) reported Dye for Bailey was a done deal back in '08 and we all know that Kenny has a habit of "getting his guy" about 5 years too late.

I don't pretend to have any intel on the Homer's progress in his recovery from Tommy John, but I do know he has a very high ceiling. Like "get hot and carry your team through a playoff run" kind of ceiling. If the Sox are able to essentially buy his '16 salary down to zero by dumping a bad contract and maybe even get some cash back, it would essentially turn Bailey's deal into 4/63.

I think it would be possible that Cincinnati would even shop Aroldis Chapman if it meant getting out of a bad deal or two (Bruce being the other) and/or acquiring an attractive group of prospects.

Obviously, taking on a huge contract like Bailey's coming off injury & consequently surgery is a huge gamble, but I'm not sure the White Sox will be able to go from 76 wins & several huge position player holes to fill, to 90+ wins, without taking some serious risks.

I posited this idea before and it was shot down then, due to the uncertainty over Bailey's health and future. At that time, it would have basically been asking for the Reds to pay for the 2015 season (rehab), can't even remember who the projected trade was going to involve anymore.

Hal McCOY, by the way....Dayton Daily News baseball writer.

This team needs to be blown up.

Trade Q and get BIG offensive pieces. If that doesn't work, dangle Sale.

We need to score runs to win games - this team is completely incapable of that. The fact that Q isn't regarded like Kershaw is...is your evidence. I'd argue he's better.

And that's not even our BEST chip.

Fire everyone.

GET THAT FARM BUILT UP with smart picks (we've been decent at this lately in upper rounds), and dump the trash (Alexei, Danks, LaRoche).... Sometimes you have to pay someone to get the garbage off your lawn... So do it. It's not going to kill Jerry to send a few bucks to get rid of ineptitude and life-sucking death.

Get a mgr...even look at Ozzie.

When he's not being a tool; he happens to be an excellent mgr.

So many things wrong with this team....

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 11:08 PM)
Abreu. Robertson. Cabrera, Eaton, Quintana, Sale, Danks, LaRoche and Duke are 9 players for 87.71 million

Flowers, Jones, Jennings, Garcia and Putnam are 5 players for 8.2 million using MLBTR estimates.

That's 14 players for 95.91 million

Assuming Petricka, Rodon, Sanchez, Johnson, Saladino and Thompson make the team that's 6 players at ~3.3 million.

That's 20 players at 99.21 million.

I understand the article did 40 man payroll but their numbers for reserve players are still wrong.

You're missing about $3M in buyouts and deferred money, plus another $3M if you assume five more rookie contracts to fill out the 25 man roster & sightly more if Jacob Turner gets a spot. We should be sitting between $105M & $106M right now.

I was just thinking of scenarios where we could land Heyward and I think if we offered a long deal (something around 8-10 years) with player options every year after year 4/5, it'd be an interesting proposal for him. That way we have him for guaranteed 4-5 years and he can become a free agent to cash in again basically every year after that. If he has a bad year, he exercises his player option and if he has a bounceback year the following year, he can opt out. Players almost always decline their player option so when that happens, we could offer a QO and get a draft pick for him. Just trying to think outside the box.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 02:47 AM)

We need to score runs to win games - this team is completely incapable of that. The fact that Q isn't regarded like Kershaw is...is your evidence. I'd argue he's better.

Fire everyone.

GET THAT FARM BUILT UP with smart picks (we've been decent at this lately in upper rounds), and dump the trash (Alexei, Danks, LaRoche).... Sometimes you have to pay someone to get the garbage off your lawn... So do it. It's not going to kill Jerry to send a few bucks to get rid of ineptitude and life-sucking death.

First off, back to planet earth where we'll never be blown up. Secondly, Q isn't regarded as well as Kershaw because he isn't as good and Kershaw plays in a big market in LA. Sale is closer to Kershaw than Q is.

I just watched a video on csn Chicago. They had a guy on there while talking about the Sox and Alexei's option not being picked up and the dumbass said Anderson is 2-3 years away. :lol:

QUOTE (SouthSideSale @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 08:03 AM)
I just watched a video on csn Chicago. They had a guy on there while talking about the Sox and Alexei's option not being picked up and the dumbass said Anderson is 2-3 years away. :lol:

I think Anderson is two years away. 2017.

QUOTE (Ballz-n-Strikes @ Nov 5, 2015 -> 02:47 AM)

Fire everyone.

You would not seriously argue that Quintana is better than Kershaw.

Also, what good would it do to trade Quintana for "big offensive pieces" if the gola is to "blow it up"?